A compromise perhaps?

A place for players to do role playing, discuss their guilds, etc.
danleej
Peon
Peon

A compromise perhaps?

Post by danleej »

With all the craziness between HMC and pickpocket I have a small suggestion that I believe has been debated before but now could help set aside some of the tension or at the very least make things interesting. Now before I begin I want to point out that I am not against drop stealing per say, but I was irritated about the inability to stop it or react other than yell hey stop. Now that there is a time limit, those that made a living stealing is out of business. I say let there be PVP but out of the towns. This way, those like pickpocket if they want to form groups of bandits to steal raid whatever. While the most powerful (and only?) clan out there, the HMC, if they want can arm and have an army out there to protect others who are not affiliated with anyone. It would then help spice things up out there and perhaps breath new life into the HMC, or concepts for other clans. I for one, would see my self more as a mercenary type. And this way Pickpocket and crew can still have their war of ideals but instead of getting into flame wars and attempt to get each other booted from the game or forums, they can have their war on an actual battlefield. This may also liven up things for higher level characters as there would be an added element of surprise to the game. Just my two bits worth anyway.
DeathKnight
Peon
Peon

Re: A compromise perhaps?

Post by DeathKnight »

this would be cool and i could see more guilds coming from this 2 (bandit guilds, guardian guilds) but we would need a feature to turn this ability off cuz some would just kill wandering lowbies
"NO! its step, hip, step, pivot. Are you TRYING to piss off the volcano?"
pickpocket
Peon
Peon

Post by pickpocket »

Eh, I think if anyone wants some kind of "war", it's a few people in HMC who are so strung out about ninja looting, they are going to carry on like children for weeks on IRC, in the game, and on the forums even after the server has been patched. Then have the gall to think I am being provocative for having a few negative things to say about certain members and my opinions on how their operations affect the game.

Personally, I welcome the idea of adding world PVP to TMW, but I would not recommend hastily making further changes to the game because a few people in HMC have some endless grudge to settle with some random person on the server (over long dead issues), and that's kind of how it's looking at the moment.

I'd say we should just request their guild leadership read the "Our Policy" section of their own website a few times, and if they really take those words with any seriousness at all, they should go have a few long discussions with the people intentionally trying to drag drama into the game, and forums, by trying to incite me into saying something negative about their group, then running off to make a huge issue of it around people who weren't there to see the entire exchange.
danleej
Peon
Peon

Post by danleej »

Actually we would not need to turn it off, as I said, the HMC, is as near as I can tell the guardians of the weak so I am sure in their "empire" would then come up with "protectors" until other clans can get them selves established, and I am more than certain that there would be others who would side with pickpocket and act as a counter weight to HMC. Which lets face it, can not happen right now under current conditions and the abilities to start a clan is very limited as to what you can do with it at this point.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

I think allowing PvP everywhere would cause much more drama than it would prevent.

Allowing PvP in low- and mid level areas would result in high level players picking on low levels (and I consider it very unlikely that the "good" PvPers can really prevent this). But I could imagine to enabe PvP in some high level areas.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
danleej
Peon
Peon

Post by danleej »

Hey Crush! Just out of curiosity, could you define what would constitute low mid and High level areas? I figure the towns are an automatic safe areas regardless. Although I am not too sure about there being more people that would go and stomp smaller players that others would not be able to protect, I could see some trying to make a toll to pass a certain area. Maybe make the PVP a little less attractive such as if you do engage in PVP, there is no XP or monster points, and limit what is dropped by that person to what ever they grabbed in the previous 10-15min before they got killed. Is this within the realm of possibility or what could be some other options. I am still of the opinion that we need something like this to shake the game play up a bit, and make it easier to start clans guilds or bandits. You know spice things up a bit for the higher players or those that are becoming complacent. Or as an after thought, is it possible to have it leveled for player kills? IE. low level players whatever they grabbed 5-10min prior to getting killed, mid level 11-20min prior, high level, what ever is not worn/in use upon death.
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

ATM, you don't get exp or items in PvP.
danleej
Peon
Peon

Post by danleej »

The main reason I figure to get something out of the PvP is if you had to hunt down drop thieves to get your stuff back. no point in stomping them if they still get to keep the stuff they pilfered.
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Drop stealing is impossible now, we've patched the server. No need.
danleej
Peon
Peon

Post by danleej »

jaxad0127 wrote:Drop stealing is impossible now, we've patched the server. No need.

I think your missing the point, if PvP is implemented you no longer need that patch for drop stealing, you should be able to get back what was swiped or get your self stomped trying, it is also an attempt to add a new dimension to the game and encourage more guilds/clans/bandits/whatever to form. It would hopefully encourage the higher level players who may just be bored now as they "done it all" to become more active again within the game, and give the HMC a new mandate or at the very least broaden existing mandates. Lets be clear, I am a fan of the HMC but I think it has become complacent, and very much like the RC church around the time reformation. It needs competition and challenges to make it relevant again. This I believe is one of the best ways to do it. And as unlikely as it seems it appears Martin Luther has appeared in the form of Pickpocket (and I use the comparison loosely). Perhaps this is something that can add a little added challenge don't you think?
Platyna
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Platyna »

I have expressed my rationale towards that idiotic war in other threads. And I am patiently waiting for my words to reach their destination, if it won't happen, I believe large part of HMC members deranging the forums with their pointless moaning, along with pickpocket, will have their access to the forum removed. This action will be not punishive but preventive - since I believe everybody are tired of this, and such pointless wars are hurtful for the community.

Untill I have something to say here, no one will impose anything on the moderators, there will be no burming witches and no "voting someone out".

Not everyone you meet in your life is a nice persons, but finally underestand it that pickpocket will not get banned from the game if he will not break the rules.

If I would be banning everyone who is a rude, evil freak, I would have to start with banning myself...

Regards.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

danleej wrote:Maybe make the PVP a little less attractive such as if you do engage in PVP, there is no XP or monster points, and limit what is dropped by that person to what ever they grabbed in the previous 10-15min before they got killed. Is this within the realm of possibility or what could be some other options. [...] Or as an after thought, is it possible to have it leveled for player kills? IE. low level players whatever they grabbed 5-10min prior to getting killed, mid level 11-20min prior, high level, what ever is not worn/in use upon death.
Currently we are quite limited to what eAthena offers. We can either enable or disable PvP combat on each map - that's it. Any more sophisticated PvP rules would require some intense server-sided programming which would be better used for TMWServ.

Regarding the PvP system on TMWServ: There are multiple proposals on the wiki. So far none of it has been realized (currently the hit detection does not differ between players and monsters and thus you have unlimited PvP everywhere, but this is going to change).
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Solo
Peon
Peon

Post by Solo »

If you plan to turn this server into eathyra, or what ever the hell its called, I'm out of here. I wouldn't want to play a game where, as soon as you start, people kill you just for the hell of it, and everyone knows how hard it is being a noob. I tried the other server and got killed twice, for money, one of those times I was lvl 1, just for the hell of it, and I didn't go back. If that happens here, I'm out too. I know we need more excitment, yes, but to make it harder for new people, its a big mistake, because people already get discouraged too easily as it is, and give up. Just ask Platyna about the number of inactive noob chars on the server, that logged in, played a while, and never came back. And you suggest making it harder for them? We'll run out of players pretty quick that way.
THE POWER OF CREATION LIES WITHIN
pickpocket
Peon
Peon

Post by pickpocket »

Solo wrote:I tried the other server and got killed twice, for money, one of those times I was lvl 1, just for the hell of it, and I didn't go back.
That's exactly how my experience went when joining that game with a fresh identity. I think the people running TMW know it would be a nightmare, so I wouldn't count on it happening here.
Platyna wrote:If I would be banning everyone who is a rude, evil freak, I would have to start with banning myself...
Amen to that. :twisted:
Platyna
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Platyna »

Calm down, we are not turning anything into Aesomething and I will always oppose PK everywhere.

This thread has mutated, so I am closing it.

My advice: calm down, and stop trying to make me a fool. I can see what you are doing almost any time in game.

Regards.