Item drop suggestion ...

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

zick
Novice
Novice

Item drop suggestion ...

Post by zick »

Since most items are being redesigned to use color dyeing, what if an item that belongs to a player or is free to all players appears in color and an item belonging to someone else remains undyed (on the client side) and then when an item is about to become free for all it flashes between color/undyed a couple of times. Just a thought so you know what's yours and what's not.
karol
Novice
Novice

Re: Item drop suggestion ...

Post by karol »

Good idea :)
What madness is this?
What world is this?
Where is Jesus?

Each place a place, every place a rule, every rule a reason, I always respected.
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

Tech guys, is this trivially implementable on the long run?

Blinking effects are indeed a powerful tool when it comes to GUI design. But as with all powerful tools, things can also easily go wrong. I'd still like to have it in the arsenal, though.
This message used to be meaningful.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

The problem is that not all item graphics are gray in the undyed form. Some use 100% saturated color gradients for dyeable palettes. Leaving them undyed would give the wrong message for these items. I also doubt that we will convert ALL item icons to use the dyeing system. For a lot of items differently colored versions simply don't make sense.

But there are other options.
-We could send them through a grayscale filter (a trivial operation compared with the dyeing system)
-We could visualize pickup rights with a particle effect (when it's sparkling you can pick it up)
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

I'd prefer the second option myself. Grayscale can send the wrong message (as Crush put it). Altering the image isn't a good option. This will also probably have to go into 0.1, since eAthena doesn't have this functionality, and I seriously doubt that 0.0.25/.26 got it unintentionally.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Grayscale / undyed items also have the disadvantage that you can't tell items apart which use the same graphic with different dyeing.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

I did mention blinking instead of a static color change, didn't I?

So a particle effect for "you can pick this up" and blinking / additional particle effects for "your period of exclusive pickup time is about to end"?
This message used to be meaningful.
karol
Novice
Novice

Post by karol »

i prefer Second option (that Rotonen says)
What madness is this?
What world is this?
Where is Jesus?

Each place a place, every place a rule, every rule a reason, I always respected.
zick
Novice
Novice

Post by zick »

I really don't care the way we mark item drops, just that we do mark drops in someway. I like rotoden's idea but what about an even simpler one: what about using a targeting cursor (like when you target a mob) or an arrow that bounces overtop of the item.
octalot
Novice
Novice

Post by octalot »

Crush wrote:Grayscale / undyed items also have the disadvantage that you can't tell items apart which use the same graphic with different dyeing.
But it only affects people who are standing around waiting for the drops from some else's kill. :lol: