The name of the Desert Kingdom

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

What will the Desert Kingdom be called?

Aanshir
6%
Tulimshar
25%
Tou'kai
13%
Shimris
38%
Mu'do'ha
19%
(none of the above / proposition made in thread)
No votes

Total votes: 16
Aacheron
Peon
Peon

The name of the Desert Kingdom

Post by Aacheron »

"Amzeroth" is unsuitable, as it's too similiar to Blizzard's "Azeroth", the world from the Warcraft series... There are some suggestions here, but if none of those are good, you are free to propose your own. All of the alternatives here are conjured by me, because I've not heard any alternatives from anyone else. But, feel free to propose your own...

NOTE: if any of the alternatives seem like a rip-off or plagiarisation, please let me now here and now. If something (unbeknowst of me) turns out to be blatantly similiar to something conspicuous, please don't choose it. Also, if it's really far-fetched an could only be linked to something by actively searching, I don't think we need to bother about it.

If a name seems to relate to something very obscure (say, not a land area or other geographical context, nor anything to do with a desert, such as sand, heat, whatever), then I believe it's OK, though.
Kyokai
Warrior
Warrior

Re: The name of the Desert Kingdom

Post by Kyokai »

Good point Aacheron. Someone has been needing to do this for awhile.
The Mana World System Coordinator.
View the Systems
So what does the systems coordinator actually do? My job is to take your ideas for TMW and build them into working aspects of gameplay that can be implemented by the artists and programmers. If there's anything you think we can do better or differently, let me know.
Bjørn
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bjørn »

I'm really bad at finding hidden references to other familiar names, but I can say I like the sound of Tulimshar and Shimris. I don't like things like Mu'do'ha, because it looks to made-interesting to me with those apostroves.
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Post by ElvenProgrammer »

I found Ma'heles from a random generator to be the best choice in my opinion :D

(I searched it using Google, no relevant result about it)

[EDIT] Ok now I see Hammerbear hates apostroves :oops: , anyway I like Shimris too[/EDIT]
Last edited by ElvenProgrammer on 03 Apr 2005, 14:28, edited 1 time in total.
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

If it's up to me, it'll be Mu'do'ha. (I have a twisted vision about how it's going to be pronounced.. :twisted:)
Aacheron
Peon
Peon

Post by Aacheron »

Hrrmm... If nothing else, I'll have to make a new poll with only the two winning names "Tulimshar" and "Shimris". But, I'll let this hang for a while longer...
"I am the end, I am beginning life anew
My soul is free from weakness
Free
Refined as gold
A standard to be met by all"

-- from "Solely Concentrating On The Negative Aspects Of Life", by Shai Hulud
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

The first option to reach ten votes wins..? :roll:
maci
Knight
Knight

Post by maci »

i want Tou'kai it sounds nice , is easy to pronounce and not hard to recognize like other names such as hamreszuschiklatuschidungbums
ElvenProgrammer wrote:Maci: don't be rude, we're here to help people ;)
Bjørn
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bjørn »

Aacheron wrote:Hrrmm... If nothing else, I'll have to make a new poll with only the two winning names "Tulimshar" and "Shimris". But, I'll let this hang for a while longer...
I think you should just decide which one it's going to be yourself, there is no need to keep voting on it.
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Well maybe tomorrow there will be 10 more votes for Shimris, who knows? :roll:
Kyokai
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Kyokai »

Yeah, I just inserted all the names on the list into the world development section. http://themanaworld.org/wiki/?Kingdoms. This isn't the sort of thing that takes a long time to decide :roll:. Anyway, it's a somewhat simple thing to change later on if we want to... I think... But since all these names are original, I doubt it will be a problem anymore. Ok! So let's get some real work done then! :shock:
The Mana World System Coordinator.
View the Systems
So what does the systems coordinator actually do? My job is to take your ideas for TMW and build them into working aspects of gameplay that can be implemented by the artists and programmers. If there's anything you think we can do better or differently, let me know.
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Yeah, Shimris is not that far from the finish line! :wink:
maci
Knight
Knight

Post by maci »

shrimps? yumyum
ElvenProgrammer wrote:Maci: don't be rude, we're here to help people ;)
Nidis
Peon
Peon

Post by Nidis »

What if you called it Achedios? Like 'Ake-dee-ous'. Just a suggestion... :wink:
I've been told that to get what you want, you've just gotta give what you can.
But I know, for what i want, it wont come as easy as that...
Bjørn
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bjørn »

Nidis wrote:What if you called it Achedios? Like 'Ake-dee-ous'. Just a suggestion... :wink:
I think it sounds more like a character name. No results on Google, so seems safe. ;)

Btw Shimris has a clear majority now. Yeah.