Auto-updater

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

nocivus
Peon
Peon

Auto-updater

Post by nocivus »

Ever thought of using an auto-updater program. It would be very nice not to have to download the game everytime there is a bug fix release... :)
Bjørn
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bjørn »

Yes, but we'll probably just have an auto-updater for game data and not for the client. Of course we're assuming the client to eventually stabalize and most of the changes to be made to game data.
maci
Knight
Knight

Post by maci »

yeah i already suggested that like you can see here: http://www.lindeijer.nl/flyspray/index. ... ails&id=30
ElvenProgrammer wrote:Maci: don't be rude, we're here to help people ;)
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Post by ElvenProgrammer »

Well I think it would be cool to have also binaries updated. It will be pretty faster to launch the game, get it updated and start it. If I understood correctly you want to start the game, get an error message "This is not the latest version, please visit the download site -> url".
You download it, maybe compile it, install it and restart the game...
At least for windows and mac it could be useful (just the opinion of a lazy user :P )
maci
Knight
Knight

Post by maci »

would be possible for GNU/Linux users too .. with the difference it isnt the binary which gets updated . it is the source erm not really the complete source.. diffs would be ok to and it would save a lot of traffic and then it automaticly compils it
ElvenProgrammer wrote:Maci: don't be rude, we're here to help people ;)
Bjørn
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bjørn »

I guess for Windows users we could automatically download the new installer, then tell the user to quit and run that. Anyway as I said the goal should be to work towards a stable client that doesn't need to change for each new feature we add, and especially a client that doesn't require updating its binaries to be compatible with new server changes even if there would be a new version out. I mean that's the only way it would ever make sense to include a tmw client in a distribution.
HaLLanHype
Novice
Novice

Post by HaLLanHype »

well you wouldnt want an installer if you had an updater... you would want the update to just download everything thats changed automatically rather then them having to run the installer... if it was like that no point in updater anyways.

And yea eventually client shouldnt need too many changes.