Free tilesets?

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

fate
Warrior
Warrior

Free tilesets?

Post by fate »

Hi,

I recently stumbled upon a page containing three free high-quality tilesets as well as a collection of textures, some of which could be used to form new ground tiles:

http://lostgarden.com/labels/free%20gam ... phics.html

Perspective, lighting and tile size seem to be correct, although the number of colours used is somewhat high by tmw standards. Has anyone looked into those particular tilesets (and/or the graphics) yet to determine whether they would be suitable? If they are, it would be a good idea to contact the author to ask whether re-licencing them under the terms of the GPL would be acceptable.

(after all, tmw probably needs more tileset and monster graphics more than anything else... apart from finishing the player animations, that is.)

-- fate
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: Free tilesets?

Post by Crush »

These tiles came up several times. They are very good templates and a great source of inspiration. But I wouldn't want to see them in TMW. So far all tiles used by TMW have been created on our own especially for TMW. Until now we were able to get along without using any tiles found on the web. That's one of the main bragging points which make TMW is a more serious effort than most other comparable projects. I would like it to stay that way.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: Free tilesets?

Post by Rotonen »

Well, if someone finds and shows us something which just fits in perfectly, I will not turn it down.

So far this has not happened with the resources laying around out there. Please do help us by proposing stuff. Discussion never hurts.

I too am proud of original pixel art, but denying something good because of being a purist: well, I'm not going to go that far.
This message used to be meaningful.