Roleplaying, anyone?

Talk about anything, including games and servers not affiliated with The Mana World.

Do you roleplay MMORPGs?

I like to roleplay.
58%
I'm not really interested in that sort of thing.
26%
I've never heard of roleplaying in MMORPGs.
16%

Total votes: 19
Kyokai
Warrior
Warrior

Roleplaying, anyone?

Post by Kyokai »

Does anyone like to actually role-play their MMORPG characters? I'm one who enjoys this esoteric form of entertainment, as are many others. I'd like to have TMW give special consideration to roleplayers, maybe with a RP only chat channel or something (Dialog said in-character appears in a different color than normal speech). It would also be nice if player's could put a history of their characters or adventures, as well as a description of themselves, into their profiles, so that when other players examine them, they can see what kind of character that person is. This adds alot of depth to character building as well, though not in the tangible way stats and skills do.
Last edited by Kyokai on 16 Mar 2005, 03:12, edited 1 time in total.
The Mana World System Coordinator.
View the Systems
So what does the systems coordinator actually do? My job is to take your ideas for TMW and build them into working aspects of gameplay that can be implemented by the artists and programmers. If there's anything you think we can do better or differently, let me know.
HaLLanHype
Novice
Novice

Post by HaLLanHype »

Well you could have 2 servers. A RPing one and non RPing one.
Funesto
Peon
Peon

Post by Funesto »

Nah, I dont think its a good idea to have seperate servers until there are more people playing the game, but once there were people playing it be a good Idea .
HaLLanHype
Novice
Novice

Post by HaLLanHype »

Well yea I didnt mean right now
Kyokai
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Kyokai »

The thing is, we're planning on stretching one world across several servers, so it would be difficult to do things that way (we would need to duplicate all the servers). We would really need to find a way to integrate RP'ers and non-RP'ers together in one world.
View the Systems
So what does the systems coordinator actually do? My job is to take your ideas for TMW and build them into working aspects of gameplay that can be implemented by the artists and programmers. If there's anything you think we can do better or differently, let me know.
Authoritive Anarchy
Peon
Peon

Post by Authoritive Anarchy »

just to be sure, by role playing do you mean like... talking as medievalish as you can and say stuff like "good ol day sire" and "shine ya boots gova"?
Asgard Online... Comming soon. developement by Authoritive Anarchy Inc.
Kyokai
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Kyokai »

If that's how your character talks then, yeah. However, the technical definition of Roleplaying would be not only to speak but to act the way your character speaks. If you have a character that talks in any dialect, you talk that way in game, but also if your character were really nationalistic, he might be averse to anyone who doesn't come from the same nation.

In really extreme cases, you might even play a girl who thinks the maggots in Amzeroth are really cool, but acts and talks normally, until you kill a maggot, in which case she goes ballistic and PK's you... (that's extreme, but sounds like a fun character to play, honestly)
Anyhow, real roleplaying is to think of the game as though it were real and you actually were the character. It's not about talking medieval-ish, though that's a common misconception.

Roleplayers don't talk about things like "I want to do the quest for the 9th Fire Spell," instead one might say. "I'm on a trip to the temple of fire to continue my studies with the sage, we are good friends."

Another example:
Gamer: "w007, level up! I pwn 4ll now!!!!!111!"
Roleplayer: "Alright! It looks like my training is finally starting to pay off."
View the Systems
Authoritive Anarchy
Peon
Peon

Post by Authoritive Anarchy »

well, I think thats dumb but whatever, just my sane opinion.
Asgard Online... Comming soon. developement by Authoritive Anarchy Inc.
Bear
Warrior
Warrior

re

Post by Bear »

i think its a good idea to have quests that link to other quests, good for party playing/role playing
eibwen
Peon
Peon

Post by eibwen »

I think the whole notion of Role Playing is just the attitude of the player. I think once the game has evolved to the point where the characters have significant depth, this will come naturally -- to a degree as would be expected of any genre.

I wouldn't focus on RP specifically, but extending the depth of characters, such that players may RP their chat or even persue quests according to how they RP the character.

Basically, depth of game will allow players to RP their characters will remaining inclusive of all players.
sky
Peon
Peon

Post by sky »

I LOOOVE Roleplaying.
InGame Name : frag