[WIP] Dragon Raid Boss

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

karnonas
Peon
Peon

[WIP] Dragon Raid Boss

Post by karnonas »

I was thinking... Wouldn't it be awesome to have a high lvl raid boss that required 10+ players to kill. This would add a completely new aspect to the game. And what better type of monster to use than a Dragon! So... here is a dragon idea that I had. I will add to this post as I make progress. Let me know what you think.
Attachments
head, neack and body are almost complete. I still need to fix some things. And the body is not yet finished.
head, neack and body are almost complete. I still need to fix some things. And the body is not yet finished.
dragon-beta-s.png (13.86 KiB) Viewed 2133 times
More neck with shading... Neck almost complete
More neck with shading... Neck almost complete
dragon5s.png (1.2 KiB) Viewed 2274 times
Dragon with concept neck.
Dragon with concept neck.
dragon2s.png (1.31 KiB) Viewed 2542 times
Last edited by karnonas on 11 Oct 2008, 12:19, edited 4 times in total.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: [WIP] Dragon Raid Boss

Post by Crush »

The head is a really great start.

But the challenge has just begun. The hard part will be the body and of course animating it. How large do you plan it to be?
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
karnonas
Peon
Peon

Post by karnonas »

Well im working on that, but im thinking around 100 px. I will have to see when the dragon is complete. I think it may need to be a bit smaller, but I think it needs to be a much larger monster than all of the other monsters. This Dragon would be stationary and wont roam. I will continue to post as I make progress.
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

For it to be stationary, it'd need a good reason not to move.

Any ideas on that?
This message used to be meaningful.
Black Don
Knight
Knight

Post by Black Don »

ticked off the mob and got a set of cement shoes? :P

or its feet are just chained to the ground. :roll:
"Too much of a good thing is an awesome thing, but too much of an awesome thing is, um, really really dumb. And bad." Strong Bad
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

Being chained in a cave would be nice, but wouldn't it be just a bit cruel to go kill it then?

And what's the story behind who keeps on dragging more dragons there for people to kill? (Dragon whelps as practice would be a storyline worth exploring if we actually decide to go with this, but then we'd have to explain dragons a bit better and create an organization and especially a good reason besides "because we can" to pull it off.)
Black Don
Knight
Knight

Post by Black Don »

Rotonen wrote:Being chained in a cave would be nice, but wouldn't it be just a bit cruel to go kill it then?

And what's the story behind who keeps on dragging more dragons there for people to kill? (Dragon whelps as practice would be a storyline worth exploring if we actually decide to go with this, but then we'd have to explain dragons a bit better and create an organization and especially a good reason besides "because we can" to pull it off.)
Dragon could like a guard dog trying to keep people out of something.
"Too much of a good thing is an awesome thing, but too much of an awesome thing is, um, really really dumb. And bad." Strong Bad
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

Actually as just guarding a treasure it's feasible. Also very classical. Why not?
octalot
Novice
Novice

Post by octalot »

Given today's new dangerous-magic place, how about this spell, which works when you read it:
"<some prose about knights and a dragon>" and then you teleport to the knights vs dragon fight
If you read it when no-one else is the dragon, then you get to be the dragon, moving the head from side to side and breathing fire. If no knights come to fight for a minute then you teleport back to the magic shop.
Retired from TMW; incomplete projects looking for a dev:
Cave foliage (plants up the walls): http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5659
Cave wetwalls (water down the walls): http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5816
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Another immobile variant would have it's head sticking out of water (or similar).
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

Ok, yes, we can think of a use for it. Point proven.

Can we now move on and concentrate on actually working on the pixellation of it instead of further derailing a [WIP] thread into a concept thread?
karnonas
Peon
Peon

Post by karnonas »

All good ideas, I like the "gaurding the treasure" idea. I will be making this graphic animated. I was just thinking of having him not roam. we can use the existing particle engine to create a fire breath attack for it.
Solo
Peon
Peon

Post by Solo »

Wow dude, awesome work. Took me all day to work on mine and it looks so crappy compared to yours, i'm acutally embarrased, lol.

My question to that would be about respawning... Don't all monsters respawn somewhere else in the same map? So after "slaying" this one, another one would appear right afterwards. Or can there be a delay of, say, 24hrs to the next respawn, so everyone can get a crack at it, after lvlng up for the challenge? But i guess that's to be worked on after the project if finished, of course. Maybe some day i can be that good at pixelation. :D
THE POWER OF CREATION LIES WITHIN
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Solo wrote:Wow dude, awesome work. Took me all day to work on mine and it looks so crappy compared to yours, i'm acutally embarrased, lol.

My question to that would be about respawning... Don't all monsters respawn somewhere else in the same map? So after "slaying" this one, another one would appear right afterwards. Or can there be a delay of, say, 24hrs to the next respawn, so everyone can get a crack at it, after lvlng up for the challenge? But i guess that's to be worked on after the project if finished, of course. Maybe some day i can be that good at pixelation. :D
We can easily make monsters spawn at a specific location, with timeouts between successive spawns and death and spawn.
karnonas
Peon
Peon

Post by karnonas »

Yea thats exactly what we should do. And put it a 24 hour respawn time, and or a random respawn time.