Suggestions for Devs and Artists

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

Solo
Peon
Peon

Re: Suggestions for Devs and Artists

Post by Solo »

Here's my iteration of the Veneficus Leach, again, using MS paint. I'll have to
try out Gimp next to use better color shading.
Attachments
Veneficus Leach.PNG
Veneficus Leach.PNG (1.98 KiB) Viewed 2515 times
THE POWER OF CREATION LIES WITHIN
yosuhara
Knight
Knight

Post by yosuhara »

Solo wrote:Here's my iteration of the Veneficus Leach, again, using MS paint. I'll have to
try out Gimp next to use better color shading.
you need to think more about how to shade it... now it's just a bunch of gradients
try to divide the body into basic shapes... I recommend going through some basic tutorials:
http://wiki.themanaworld.org/index.php/ ... #Tutorials

..and keep going! ;)
Solo
Peon
Peon

Post by Solo »

Rotonen wrote: I like the spiky thingy. Animating how it moves around should allow really creative bendy and rolling fun or alternatively hilarious hopping. Would you mind illustrating that one a bit more so we could push it into production? Especially how you imagine it to move around, attack, etc.
Rotonen, here's my illustration on how it would move. It's maybe too basic, but i hope it gives an idea of... my idea, lol.
yosuhara wrote:
you need to think more about how to shade it... now it's just a bunch of gradients
try to divide the body into basic shapes... I recommend going through some basic tutorials:
http://wiki.themanaworld.org/index.php/ ... #Tutorials

..and keep going! ;)
Thanks for the feedback Yosuhara, i will ckech out the tutorial, like i said, i have no experience what so ever with pixel art.

Also, these are just meant to be ideas, i don't expect to see any of these in the game exactly the way i make them, please fell free to improve them any way you guys see fit, if they are indeed good ideas.

Thanks again. :)
Attachments
Monasteriense - hop left.PNG
Monasteriense - hop left.PNG (4.73 KiB) Viewed 2499 times
EJlol
TMW Furniture
TMW Furniture

Post by EJlol »

I can imagine how he moves, but the top needle of that monster is a bit to "wobbly" IMO. Just looking at the sprite I don't know if its even strong enough to attack a maggot.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

My impression differs from that of EJlol. To me it rather looks like the monster can either make its spikes flexible to use them for moving or manipulating objects but also make them suddenly extremely hard and sharp and thus deadly weapons.

I think you could need some help with the sphere part of the body. How exactly do you picture it? Is it a transparent crystal sphere? Metal? Or skin?
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Solo
Peon
Peon

Post by Solo »

EJlol wrote:I can imagine how he moves, but the top needle of that monster is a bit to "wobbly" IMO. Just looking at the sprite I don't know if its even strong enough to attack a maggot.
Crush wrote:My impression differs from that of EJlol. To me it rather looks like the monster can either make its spikes flexible to use them for moving or manipulating objects but also make them suddenly extremely hard and sharp and thus deadly weapons.
Actually, my idea was more in the lines of what Crush said, the arms would be both strong and flexible, kinda like tentacles,for movement and attack. Also, its supposed to be a magic monster, so it would take MP as well as HP.

Crush wrote:I think you could need some help with the sphere part of the body. How exactly do you picture it? Is it a transparent crystal sphere? Metal? Or skin?
Well, i wanted the shpere to be a crystal, but my skills are very limited, as you all can see. Also, i was thinking of the drops. Maybe shards of the very same crystal, to be later melted and/or polished and made into jewelry or amulets, for extra MP.

Rotonen also suggested that, instead of it hopping, if it would be better for it to roll... Like i said, my skills are limited, so i (kinda) cheated on that one, i just made its legs dissapear instead, lol...

As for the attack, i thought about a psycho spin, with a very fast attack, kinda like the flowers, but it looks very crappy, so please, bear with me.
Attachments
Monasteriense - attack.png
Monasteriense - attack.png (4.83 KiB) Viewed 2420 times
Monasteriense - roll.png
Monasteriense - roll.png (3.47 KiB) Viewed 2422 times
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

The attack animation could be enhanced by adding some speedlines.

The retract animation to initiate a move will not work with the animation system. When an object starts to move on the server it does so without a warning. So the sprite will already start to move while the spikes retract.

How about moving like this: It puts the top spike on the ground in front of it so that it becomes a new leg while it moves the leg spike on the opposite side to the top so that it becomes the new top spike. To move into one direction it would have to walk in a zick zack motion but it is no problem to make this with animation offset.
  • NOT a game master

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
5t3v3
Warrior
Warrior

Post by 5t3v3 »

or maybe just retract the spikes at a different speed (front spike retracts faster so that it tilts forward)
In game characters: "5t3v3" and "L "
Solo
Peon
Peon

Post by Solo »

I thought about it, and came to the conclusion that it would just be better if it doesn't retract anything, because, if its moving with the arms retracted, as soon as its hit, it instantly springs back to its original stance, and in my opinion, it would not look good. Either the hop, or a walking motion would not break the animation so bad once it gets hit. Even if you hit it in a middle of a hop, it goes back to the stance position, like you stopped the hop half way, and it still looks a bit realistic. The same worries me about the attack, although it would look spectacular. Unless this can be reprogrammed for this particular monster, but i wouldn't know anything about that.

Crush wrote:The attack animation could be enhanced by adding some speedlines.
In my original drawing, i had those lines, but had no idea how to add them to the monster, or if i could make them look any good.

Im going to try and make the walk animation, at the best of my abilities though.

Thank you all. :)
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

The best workflow here seems to be that Solo provides the concepts and the actual pixel people finish them.
This message used to be meaningful.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

What "actual pixel people" are you talking about, Rotonen? We currently have noone who is interested in monster sprites. But Solo shows excelent potential to fill this gap.
  • NOT a game master

Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

We have open properly conceptualized monster pixellation tasks for artists to work on?

But yeah, he can also work on them if he wants to.
This message used to be meaningful.