Source files for graphics and sound (.xcf.bz2 etc)

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

octalot
Novice
Novice

Source files for graphics and sound (.xcf.bz2 etc)

Post by octalot »

I'm trying to find graphics source files (.xcf.bz2 etc) in SVN. I can find the .png files used by the game engine, but can't find the easier-to-edit multi-layer ones.

Background: Some of the tilesets are made using editors with multi-layer editing, which can make it much easier to take an existing tileset and create new tiles that fit with the old ones. It can also affect how the finished tiles look - for the new bilevel cave set I had to reseparate the walls from floors.

Searching the forums found some .xcf.bz2 files, and also a fair few old graphics threads where the linked-to image files have since been deleted.
Retired from TMW; incomplete projects looking for a dev:
Cave foliage (plants up the walls): http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5659
Cave wetwalls (water down the walls): http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5816
Ces
Novice
Novice

Re: Source files for graphics and sound (.xcf.bz2 etc)

Post by Ces »

I believe Wesnoth recently started a repository for their own art (some source files, and bigger resolution images), just because of these reasons. :)
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

Our usual mob-like lack of organization does indeed leave room for improvement.
This message used to be meaningful.
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

But if we put these in SNV, they should be separate from the rest of the client data.
Ces
Novice
Novice

Post by Ces »

I’m bringing Wesnoth up again, just because I looked it up... And adds it here, in case it interests someone.

Their SVN:

Code: Select all

wesnoth/
  branches/
    resources/
      cartography-tools/
      gettext.wesnoth.org/
      portraits/
      sounds-wav/
      tests.wesnoth.org/
  tags/
  trunk/
  website/
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

Well, how you do it is details.
This message used to be meaningful.
EJlol
TMW Furniture
TMW Furniture

Post by EJlol »

Just to note, not all artists uses gimp. For example I use Paint.net, which mean I can't open and/or safe .xcf.bz2. It is possible for me to save .pdn (paint.net own file extension) and in Photoshop format (though I need a plugin for that).
octalot
Novice
Novice

Post by octalot »

Good point EJLol. I think we should use the native format of our respective editors.
If I want to edit your files then I can ask in the IRC channel for someone with the right editor to do a conversion. Someone will probably do it, and then bug me if I don't finish whatever change I offered to make :D .
Retired from TMW; incomplete projects looking for a dev:
Cave foliage (plants up the walls): http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5659
Cave wetwalls (water down the walls): http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5816
Bjørn
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bjørn »

Yes, we definitely should have a place on our Subversion server to stick stuff in a nicer editable format. We also need to make artists aware of the need of this in regards to later modifications. It's very easy to forget about it once your graphic is done.
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

How about a tmwdata branch for them? We can use the same structure to keep things organized.