made *some* Slackware packages

Ask for help regarding any technical issue or report any bug or OS independent issues.
benjamin
Peon
Peon

made *some* Slackware packages

Post by benjamin »

I put together a couple of Slackware packages to make installation easier for Slackware and many other standard Linux's.

Physfs -- http://local.winchesterpc.com/pub/physfs-1.0.0-i586.tgz
Guichan -- http://local.winchesterpc.com/pub/guich ... 0-i586.tgz

I've never made Slackware packages before, but it seems rather straightforward. I justdid ./configure --target=i586 --prefix=/installer

then, I did make && make install, and instead of installing them into /usr, it installed them into ~/installer. I renamed ~/installer to ~/usr, then did tar -zcf whatever.tgz ~/usr, and now Slackware installs it into /usr. it seemed to work perfectly when I installed these packages, then build TMW on them, so they will probably work fine for everyone.

I don't know how to make RPM's yet, and I think those two projects already have RPM's anyway.

---

however, making Slackware packages for TMW is not quite feasible. when I uncompress the source package, I get the "data" and "src" folders (among other things). sure, I can make a package that installs the tmw binary, but then tmw insists on looking in the current directory for the data folder. if TMW can simply be made to check /usr/local/games/tmw/data, then it should fix the problem. also, I don't yet know where tmw stores its user files (i.e., saved information), but it really should save it to ~/.tmw or something similar so that each user has his own settings kept in just one location...

if you can do that, I can make a package installs physfs and guichan and even makes a menu entry and a desktop icon.
i
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by i »

well nice. but i still prefer compile it on my own ;) (curse of Gentoo ;)
tonight i will put this packages on my laptop, and check how it works.

anyway thnx ;)
Bjørn
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bjørn »

I think for building packages it would be better to use --prefix as normal, so put that on /usr or /usr/local, but pass the other prefix to make:

Code: Select all

./configure --prefix=/usr
make
make prefix=~/install/usr install
or you may need to use DESTDIR as in

Code: Select all

make DESTDIR=~/install/usr install
I'm also not an expert on building packages, but this way when the compiled package relies on any other files than its binaries, the binaries will still be able to find these other files as opposed to the binary trying to find the files in ~/install instead.

Now physfs and guichan don't have any other files except the binaries, so you're safe. But the same won't hold for TMW, which you may be able to make a package of by 0.0.12. :)
benjamin
Peon
Peon

Post by benjamin »

ahhh, good idea. (= thanks!

it was my first shot, and I didn't have any instructions. (-: oh well, I'll get the hang of it...