Any chance of a "3D" version?

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Blorx2
Novice
Novice

Any chance of a "3D" version?

Post by Blorx2 »

Just asking because you guys have the skill and all you need is a 3D graphics designer. I'm working on 3D development and may be able to help you once I finish learning :D .
-Matt
"A wizard is never late, nor is he early, he arrives precisely when he needs to" - Gandalf
Bjørn
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bjørn »

About a 3D version I would suggest if there is enough interest one could try to do start project in parallel, sharing as much of the code and data (for example some of the tiles, sounds, music, icons, gui) as possible. The same server could be used as the server won't care wether client is 2D or 3D.

Note that a 1st/3rd person version is out of the question, and other projects are already attempting this, for example PlaneShift. 3D TMW would probably have the same top down kind of look as the 2D version.
Blorx2
Novice
Novice

Post by Blorx2 »

That's fine. If it's 3D, it's 3D. The point is, is there a chance of one? Anyway, things like Eternal Lands and Runescape have a top down feel (not entirely...) It would be interesting to see what happens with this.
"A wizard is never late, nor is he early, he arrives precisely when he needs to" - Gandalf
Bjørn
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bjørn »

Is there a chance for a 3D version: Maybe next year a 3D version could be started, unless a few extra talented programmers suddenly show up with a good motivation to get a 3D version done.

What would happen with it: It'd probably look similar to Ragnarok Online, though of course the gameplay would match TMW's unique style (at least when we have developed one, hehe).
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Post by ElvenProgrammer »

Sincerely I prefer the 2D look (that's why I started The Mana Worold in this way, not because I can't do 3D programming), but I'd like to see a 3D version in the future. I won't get invlolved in the 3D development until TMW 2D is completed except from sharing knowledge and help to understand code and protocol. If someone wants to start it no problem, but I'd prefer that new programmers will help us with 2D version first of all.
Blorx2
Novice
Novice

Post by Blorx2 »

That sounds good. I'm just making a suggestion. I'm probably going to help catfish with the Mac 2D version first.
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

I only joined this project because this was a 2D project.. :) So THIS project in particular will not be 3D, but as Bjørn said, this project could fork into one.
maci
Knight
Knight

Post by maci »

once I finish learning
duh...

this is definatly not possible
ElvenProgrammer wrote:Maci: don't be rude, we're here to help people ;)
Blorx2
Novice
Novice

Post by Blorx2 »

Notice that I put quotes around 3D. It caould be 3D rendered if that's better...it's just a question...
i
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by i »

I think we should use 3D engine in 2D game, 4 eg. like Stepmania. Because we could use hardware suport for 3D. And it rocks ;]
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Post by ElvenProgrammer »

We're already using hardaware support, if you enable hardware acceleration option in config file or using the opengl version. Using a real 3D engine means we will go near Ragnarok and we don't want that.
Ghost
Peon
Peon

Post by Ghost »

2D is every bit as good as 3D. Stick to 2D.
Whist
Peon
Peon

Post by Whist »

Elven Programmer wrote:We're already using hardaware support, if you enable hardware acceleration option in config file or using the opengl version. Using a real 3D engine means we will go near Ragnarok and we don't want that.
I'm sorry to say, but this game right now is turning out to be the super nintendo version of ragnarok...
Talaroc
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Talaroc »

That's because we haven't moved onto our own server and implemented the (very long list of) changes and features we've been discussing yet.
Jormungand
Peon
Peon

Post by Jormungand »

I really think you guys should just add new items to the game. What keeps it original is its 2D format Changing it would be bad because most people like to play oldschool games. Instead of concentrating on wether you should go 3D or 2D. I say stick to 2D for now and then worry about 3D when the project is good to go.