[wip] Location Based Sound

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Cosmostrator
Novice
Novice

[wip] Location Based Sound

Post by Cosmostrator »

Finally I have gotten around to doing something again.

Here is a boiling water sound, I am hoping that it can be used as a location based sound for the boiling water in the snow area. Be warned that the volume is rather loud, if I need to it is easy to lower it for the final product.
http://wiki.themanaworld.org/index.php/Image:Boil.ogg

Thoughts, ideas? Should I continue making more location based sounds?

-Cosmostrator
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: [wip] Location Based Sound

Post by Crush »

The support of SDL for techniques useful for ambient sound effects like stereo/surround sound, changing volume based on distance etc. are very limited. To have an adequate technical implementation for location sounds we would have to rewrite the whole sound system based on a more powerful API like OpenAL.

Although it would mean a few weekends of work it would definitely be worth the effort. Having some ambient sound effects for testing wouldn't hurt.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

Yes, the ability to attach sounds to tiles, monsters, players, NPCs or particle effects would definitely be worth it.
This message used to be meaningful.
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

http://technology.newscientist.com/chan ... 5.600.html

Position based sounds do have a usage in fooling the brain too.
This message used to be meaningful.