GM harrassment over drop stealing?

A place for players to do role playing, discuss their guilds, etc.
Wombat
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

GM harrassment over drop stealing?

Post by Wombat »

When the chances are high that I'm going to be doing a 1/2 hour to an hour and a 1/2 search for a pearl, I'm not going to play nice.

I think the game should be tweaked so pearls drop more often, else I'm going to continue receiving drop stealing and giving it where the rare drops don't come very often.

I don't think it is playing nice to receive harassment from gms when the game was created with a different direction in mind. It is clear that drop stealing is something that PLAYERS need to resolve and not GMs. Either the devs need to destroy all competitive elements in the game or the GMs need to allow players to resolve their issues themselves in regards to drop stealing.

Drop stealing isn't abuse, it is a fact of the game. I will continue to drop steal as it increases the competitive elements in the game and it increases the chances that I will get a pearl in less time than it takes to watch a feature length movie.
Current character is "Abolish".
z0ro
Novice
Novice

Re: GM harrassment over drop stealing?

Post by z0ro »

Drop stealing is not against the rules so I don't know why you are being harassed by GM's.
AxlTrozz
Knight
Knight

Post by AxlTrozz »

Wombat wrote:When the chances are high that I'm going to be doing a 1/2 hour to an hour and a 1/2 search for a pearl, I'm not going to play nice.

I think the game should be tweaked so pearls drop more often, else I'm going to continue receiving drop stealing and giving it where the rare drops don't come very often.

I don't think it is playing nice to receive harassment from gms when the game was created with a different direction in mind. It is clear that drop stealing is something that PLAYERS need to resolve and not GMs. Either the devs need to destroy all competitive elements in the game or the GMs need to allow players to resolve their issues themselves in regards to drop stealing.

Drop stealing isn't abuse, it is a fact of the game. I will continue to drop steal as it increases the competitive elements in the game and it increases the chances that I will get a pearl in less time than it takes to watch a feature length movie.
So at last something and somebody that bother you (and not all the way around), heh , well that's the game, stop been abusive and you won't have to complain in the future.
Wombat
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Wombat »

This is court and not a discussion thread (take discussions to "player talk"). I talked to Playtna on IRC and she confirms that I am doing game legal actions.
Katze
Knight
Knight

Post by Katze »

Wombat wrote:Drop stealing isn't abuse, it is a fact of the game.
You can steal from people in the game. AND you can steal from people in real life. In both cases, it is abuse. That's what I think about it. And that's what other players think if someone is following them all the time, kill the monsters the other person wanted to kill and then quickly take the dropped item.
I didn't "harass" you because of dropstealing as such in the first place. But because you behaved in a way people had no means to get rid of your behaviour.

Furthermore, saying "shut up" (and other) to players is also an abuse in my oppinion. It insults another person.
AxlTrozz wrote:So at last something and somebody that bother you (and not all the way around), heh , well that's the game, stop been abusive and you won't have to complain in the future.
Here is another player who thinks your attitude is abusive.

Regards,
Katze
Meow! (Katze is also known as Plush & Kater)
Wombat
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Wombat »

I disagree with your interpretation of abuse. I think it is abusive to complain to GMs instead of organizing as players to handle problems between players. I think players can tell each other to shut up and that your definition of abuse is far too thin to work with any game beyond pre-alpha.

I've got a new group I'm working with and we seek to create rivalries and competitions. I find your complaints to push towards a righteousness that would prevent me from organizing other players that don't want to play the crybaby camping game. We can challenge each other and we can get upset about losing the challenge without looking for a mommy. Organize with your friends and rob the badass if you don't like it.
Platyna
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Platyna »

Problem is IRL you can only punish a person when you prove they stolen from you.
GMs should only apply the law, not make rules on demand.
Anyway if you feel abused by a GM, post the evidence on court house, otherwise the discussion is quite pointless
Of course it is better when one person takes all suggestions and makes objective guidelines, as it used to be, but project admin disagrees with it.
Anyway for GMs the same justice apply - none of them can be punished without clear evidence of their abuse.

Regards.
z0ro
Novice
Novice

Post by z0ro »

Katze wrote:
Wombat wrote:Drop stealing isn't abuse, it is a fact of the game.
You can steal from people in the game. AND you can steal from people in real life. In both cases, it is abuse. That's what I think about it. And that's what other players think if someone is following them all the time, kill the monsters the other person wanted to kill and then quickly take the dropped item.
I didn't "harass" you because of dropstealing as such in the first place. But because you behaved in a way people had no means to get rid of your behaviour.

Furthermore, saying "shut up" (and other) to players is also an abuse in my oppinion. It insults another person.
AxlTrozz wrote:So at last something and somebody that bother you (and not all the way around), heh , well that's the game, stop been abusive and you won't have to complain in the future.
Here is another player who thinks your attitude is abusive.

Regards,
Katze
We're in a game, we're playing a game. This does not apply to the reality. Do you kill animals in IRL? No, but we do kill animals in the game. Do you kill people in IRL? No, but we do in the game. So what's the difference between that and stealing? And also stealing is not against the rules, not listed so therefore- Wombat can steal whatever he wants. Just saying :P
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Unless the server admins deactivate the dropsteal protection again it should be easy to pick up your drops before someone else does as long as you pay a bit attention.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
5t3v3
Warrior
Warrior

Post by 5t3v3 »

Yes, the issue at hand is not drop stealing but kill stealing. Which is rather odd, because the dropsteal protection protects the person who did most of the work (damage), not the person making the final blow. So kill stealing provides no benefit to the kill-stealer nor significant disadvantage to kill-stolen in the game, other then frustration perhaps.

So although I would discourage this behavior as distasteful, I don't think it should be the gm's responsibility to stop this.
In game characters: "5t3v3" and "L "
Platyna
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Platyna »

Never seen any MMORPG where spawns are owned.

Regards.
sugarcorgit
Novice
Novice

Post by sugarcorgit »

Wombat,
The Halloween event was for all to enjoy. It is not my call to say if drop stealing should be allowed. However there is always ethics in all things.
sugar
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Platyna wrote:Never seen any MMORPG where spawns are owned.
World of Warcraft is one I know which has a killsteal protection.

TMWServ also has a killsteal protection (but it only applies to exp and isn't extended to drop pickup rights yet)
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
the janitor
Peon
Peon

Post by the janitor »

Platyna wrote:Never seen any MMORPG where spawns are owned.

Regards.
guild wars have solo field i think
lol
weird way to do an mmorpg
ecoute le fou dans son silence la tempete hurle

I AM THE JANITOR
Wombat
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Wombat »

Wikipedia on Camping

I personally find camping to be more detrimental to enjoying a holiday in the arena. And over the last few days of the event when I wasn't even in the arena, by me moving around the map collecting stuff, I ran into no fewer than two jackos an hour. If anyone put any real time into this event they should have at least one of each jacko hat, if not more (if not boo hoo, you didn't really try).

Due to the popularity (or infamy) of my actions a large number of players have come forward with the desire to fight for drops rather than accept every corner of the map being "owned" by a camper. Some days there just are too many people to get anything without fighting for it. As player numbers increase, ethics on drop stealing will have to remain within groups and guilds as people are forced to fight for what they want.

If HMC wants to bankrupt itself saving everyone from a competitive experience, more power to you. It is something in itself to struggle against...the benevolent power of HMC dominance.