Snow village name

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

Which name do you like for the snow town

Nixenath
7%
Nivalis
55%
Nivenath
12%
Nivaneth
9%
Other
17%

Total votes: 58
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Snow village name

Post by Jaxad0127 »

We need to name the current snow village. Please choose one of the four provided, or post your own. Names that are copyrighted will be ignored.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: Snow village name

Post by Crush »

I voted for "Nivalis" because all others are too long and unpronounceable IMO, but I think it sounds more like a metropole than a small town.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
z0ro
Novice
Novice

Post by z0ro »

Nivalis
EJlol
TMW Furniture
TMW Furniture

Post by EJlol »

Nivalis is indeed the best option.
ikms
Peon
Peon

Post by ikms »

Hi All,

Could I also make a suggestion that the names of any places be signposted in the game. (via an NPC)

New people are always asking for directions to somewhere, and I think it would be nice to have a few NPC signposts that when clicked on give your current location (As a name) and the directions to any nearby locations.

If it wasnt to complicated, it would be really good if the signpost could actually give limited directions to any place, from a current location.

Regards
ikms
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

ikms wrote:Hi All,

Could I also make a suggestion that the names of any places be signposted in the game. (via an NPC)

New people are always asking for directions to somewhere, and I think it would be nice to have a few NPC signposts that when clicked on give your current location (As a name) and the directions to any nearby locations.

If it wasnt to complicated, it would be really good if the signpost could actually give limited directions to any place, from a current location.

Regards
ikms
Yes. But first, we need place names. ;)
Ces
Novice
Novice

Post by Ces »

Nixenath /nɪkːsənːɒːtʰ/, is better suited for a place in a forest, I feel.

Nivalis /nɪvːɑːlɪsː/, sounds too much like Latin, and does not have the feel the Snow Town have, in my mind.

Nivenath /nɪvːənːɒːtʰ/, okay, maybe too a typical name in my opinion, but follows the genre’s “rules” nicely.

Nivaneth /nɪvːanːeːtʰ/, okay, maybe a bit too swirly in my mouth, like getting something living in your mouth and you try your hardest to get it our without hurting it... :roll:

Other, well while I probably would like some of the possible other names, they are not mentioned here explicitly. ;)

I had no trouble with any of their pronunciations. :mrgreen: But then I hardly ever do, I just pronounce it my way, as it comes naturally every given moment.

Curious may know I voted for ニベナート.
Black Don
Knight
Knight

Post by Black Don »

I've always just called it "Santa's Village" or "The North Pole"
"Too much of a good thing is an awesome thing, but too much of an awesome thing is, um, really really dumb. And bad." Strong Bad
yosuhara
Knight
Knight

Post by yosuhara »

Nivalis
Vink
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Vink »

Ces wrote:Nivalis /nɪvːɑːlɪsː/, sounds too much like Latin, and does not have the feel the Snow Town have, in my mind.
Nivalis is latin. For example, the latin name for the Snow drop flower is Galanthus nivalis. I don't remember the exact meaning of nivalis, but it has to do with snow of course. :)
Ces
Novice
Novice

Post by Ces »

Vink wrote:Nivalis is latin. For example, the latin name for the Snow drop flower is Galanthus nivalis. I don't remember the exact meaning of nivalis, but it has to do with snow of course. :)
In Botanical Latin it means “(growing) in/at snow”, from the Latin nivis ‘snow’. There are quite a few flowers with this epithet (Galanthus, Gentiana, ...), and some animals as well (Mustela for instance). ;)

In Latin proper I guess a more correct translation of nivalis would be “of snow”, but that’s details only icky classical philologists with a grammatical desire care about.
the janitor
Peon
Peon

Post by the janitor »

if i ever find my latin to french dictionary
(never let someone borrow your dictionaries)
im gonna translate it properly
that discution reminds me i have to get a good etymology book about french
im tired of renting them at the library i never have them when i need em
ecoute le fou dans son silence la tempete hurle

I AM THE JANITOR
Habari
Novice
Novice

Post by Habari »

Why do all names start with "N"?? it isnt very original
FlakeLand
Snowy Earth
yasha
Novice
Novice

Post by yasha »

Nivalis on latin is adjective that means snowy, something that comes with snow or belongs to snow. So, towns name cant be snowy... If you want latin name with nivalis, it would be nivalis rus or nivalis vicus (both rus and vicus have same meaning, village, so it would be snowy village or snowy town). Another possibility is nivalis locus (snowy place), but all names like this are long.

I would give it name hiems (which means winter).
Uses Ubuntu 8.10 and The mana world 0.0.27.
5t3v3
Warrior
Warrior

Post by 5t3v3 »

Other: 'tishierkoud
In game characters: "5t3v3" and "L "