Beginners' tips and talk?

A place for players to do role playing, discuss their guilds, etc.
fargris
Peon
Peon

Beginners' tips and talk?

Post by fargris »

Is there anywhere for beginniners in TMW to talk and exchange tips? Or perhaps this is it? :-)

I have reached lvl 30 without much trouble, but there seems to be a gap now, where the monsters I can kill give a lot less xp for my efforts; this is OK, perhaps, but there are some things that baffle me. I have been killing pinkies in order to collect antennae (or whatever it is I need to earn a scythe), but they never drop anything, it seems. Is there something special I need to do?

It is a nice game, BTW. But I hope it isn't going to become "eliticised" like some others I have seen; especially Crossfire, where I got tired at the end, simply because it seemed that there was an elite that got established in the early days and then used their influence to make it well nigh impossible for newer players to ever reach the highest levels without living most of their life in the game. This is a while ago (>1 year) so things may have changed since.

A game should IMO not require more than 30 minutes a day to make it feel like you make reasonable progress; every minute spent playing a game is taken from other activities, and I suspect most people don't have that much time to play. It is after all just a game.
the janitor
Peon
Peon

Re: Beginners' tips and talk?

Post by the janitor »

im fairly new here and things goes well
its a nice community
people help each other
i recived a lot of help and i try to help people whenever i can afford it

yeah i agre with you
pinkies are a pain to kill
especialy if you can find someone to fetch you the keys for the short sword
you dont have to do anything special just kill em a lot
(if only they droped something else apart from the anthena's)

you can get easily to lv 40 in 2-3 hours
after it get a little more steep as you said
but this game is pre alpha
you have to keep that in mind

not much monsters and stuff designed or implented yet
but there is steady improvement
(the dev's work on the game on their free time we have to be gracefull toward them and the time they spend)
if you love the game you can lend a hand there is always some stuff to do even if your not a computer wizard
translation, consept art, fresh ideas, music etc...
(see the wiki the forum mantis page there is a lot going on in this lively community)

you cant see this game like another mmorpg where you come create an accout and simply play
this here game is about developement sharing ideas making internet relations and a healty dose of fun and cyber drama :P
ecoute le fou dans son silence la tempete hurle

I AM THE JANITOR
fargris
Peon
Peon

Post by fargris »

I don't have a problem killing pinkies - they just take some time, but I have never found a single antenna. I think I have killed as many logheads as pinkies, and they often drop raw logs, but pinkies never drop anything that I have seen.

I wouldn't mind helping out with things - I am a computer wizard, even - but I don't want to make promises I can't keep.
Ishara
Peon
Peon

Post by Ishara »

The Janitor is one-hundred percent right.

Just like he said, I feel as though progress in an MMO shouldn't be completely limited to levels and stuff. While having those high numbers are indeed a lot of fun, I consider it true "success" to meet new people, have fun conversations, and obtain a sense of community within the game. That's why I started playing this game as my first MMO.

Plus, we, as alpha testers, get to see the buildup of a great game from the ground up. You'll never see that with any commercial game-makers... that's a fact.

But seriously... numbers are just numbers. You can't fully enjoy an MMO if you measure your enjoyment by numbers and items. You have to immerse yourself in the world, and maybe even lighten up and role-play a little. That doesn't mean play 26 hours a day. It just means to let go of life for a while.

Escapism can be healthy in small doses!

Probably a good way for newbies to start this would be to set up informal meeting places to get us together to talk and explore with each other. That way we can get used to the game and meet some new friends so that we aren't so intimidated by the "elites."
Character Name: Zephyr

"If you focus your mind on the freedom and community that you can build by staying firm, you will find the strength to do it. 'Stand for something, or you will fall for nothing.'"
~ Richard Stallman