Newbie NPC

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

Bear
Warrior
Warrior

Newbie NPC

Post by Bear »

I know this doesnt realy fall into any of the other forums, so here it is... Im going to make a NPC for those people who either are too stubborn to read the README file, or for those who cant...

Its not going to be required to read ofcourse, but it would be good if there was one after seeing how many people ask of the controlls.
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Post by ElvenProgrammer »

We were thinking of introducing an /help command or help window. The NPC could be a nice temp solution to it, or better we should leave him there. redundancy is never enough with nOObs :roll:
maci
Knight
Knight

Post by maci »

hehe

right ^^

some noobs ask in irc open 2 threads and so on before reading readme .. and if you tell them to read the readme they say that they cant find it
ElvenProgrammer wrote:Maci: don't be rude, we're here to help people ;)
dadaemon
Peon
Peon

Post by dadaemon »

Then the new players should start next to this NPC right? How do they know how to speak with them? (That is a question asked many times.)

Maybe you could add some start up text. And probably the /help command would be better.
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Having both is better I think.
Pajarico
Knight
Knight

Post by Pajarico »

dadaemon wrote:Then the new players should start next to this NPC right? How do they know how to speak with them? (That is a question asked many times.)

Maybe you could add some start up text. And probably the /help command would be better.
Add a banner that reads "push .. to talk to me" :)
Bear
Warrior
Warrior

on

Post by Bear »

One way to do this is... at the moment you guys get the server announcing/npc announcing script command to work, i can put in a tip announcing npc.

What it would do is announce tips at random every 10-15 mins.

as for the npc, i only include the current keys...
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Maybe there's a way to let him speak as other players, he could say "Hey you are new? Right click on my feet!" or something like that in a better english :P
Achilles
Peon
Peon

GraalOnline

Post by Achilles »

Hello I have been playing GraalOnline for a long time and I was wondering is the game engine in this game like Graals?? What?s this game like anyway? I was wondering if anyone was interested working in a graal server called Zenkou we are in need of GFX people. Here is the link to the server?s website :D

http://zenkou.graal.net/
Achilles-Levels Adminstration Team
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Again Achilles the general development section is not a place to advertise your project, nor a place where you can get help about your project. It's related to The Mana World.

But to answer your question the game engine is different in many aspects even if I didn't look at the source code, it's obvious they're not the same.
Jormungand
Peon
Peon

Post by Jormungand »

Someone needs to make a NPC maker program. There was one on vidar that allowed the creation of your own NPC by just using the program. If someone knows how they could do that and just release it to people who want to make their own NPC.
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Our scripts are really easy for the moment so I think we don't need a tool for the moment but it's possible in the future we will have one.
Bear
Warrior
Warrior

re

Post by Bear »

I personaly dont need a npc making program, its all in my head :o

And, a small suggestion, Elven, you should ban that Achilles guy from the forums, all he does is advertise his stupid Graal online server
Magick
Novice
Novice

Post by Magick »

A good way to do this is to add a newb area (a place where u cant return to after leaving) and have a tuturial explained by a npc. The first time you log onto the mana world you are forced to do the tutorial and read it before moving on. This would answer all the questions they have. :roll:
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

And then again you could also just leave the newbie zone without bothering to listen to the instructor.. It could be a school. :)