Music Developing

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: Music Developing

Post by Crush »

I think you should add some more percussion to your songs and you shouldn't use distorted electric guitar that much - it does not really fit the fantasy theme of TMW.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Morgoth
Peon
Peon

Post by Morgoth »

btw, I downloaded my music from the forum to check the sound quality. The originals (as in before i uploaded them)were far better, but the ones on the forums will suffice for what ever you need them for.
a man, a plan, a canal, Panama! backwards without spaces is: amanaplanacanalpanama. Notice anything? (Palindromes are awesome)
Morgoth
Peon
Peon

Post by Morgoth »

percussion is difficult because my speakers are dying, and I'm already writing three more pieces that don't have much in the way of electric guitar.
But I'll try.
a man, a plan, a canal, Panama! backwards without spaces is: amanaplanacanalpanama. Notice anything? (Palindromes are awesome)
mrcold
Peon
Peon

Post by mrcold »

so.. if i am a composer, what should i do if i want to be involved in helping out here?
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

mrcold wrote:so.. if i am a composer, what should i do if i want to be involved in helping out here?
1. Think of what music would fit the game
2. Start composing a first draft
3. Render it to OGG
4. Post it in the sound development forum
5. Wait for feedback
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
mrcold
Peon
Peon

Post by mrcold »

ok then
I'll get back to you :)
Morgoth
Peon
Peon

Post by Morgoth »

Hello! I have been working pretty much all year (on and off) on these compositions. None of them are finished, even if they sound like they are. I suggest the pvp-arena_tmw be used for (guess what) the pvp arena in tulimshar. I'm also using that same file for one of my music composition assesments at school. Deserts to Forests was started ages ago, around january, and I have in my head the plan for the next section. I'm hoping to make the overall piece about 4-5 minutes long. Pianology was something that I came up with while sitting at my computer at school three days ago: it's just an idea, and I haven't decided whether or not to expand upon it. Your feedback will help. Finally, Regret is something that my brother wrote (the first 4 bars or so) for the piano. i instantly asked him upon hearing it if I could edit it and change it around, he said I could do whatever i wanted to it. You'll probably notice that it's set to an electric guitar kind of sound at the moment: this version is my ideal version, but I can easily adapt it for The Mana World. Change the instruments around, make it longer, that sort of thing. After reading through this long post you're propbably wondering where all these files actually are: Because of tmw's silly forum not allowing me to attach files more than a megabyte in size, all of the music is here:
http://sites.google.com/site/retardedhelicopter/ which is a site i made while bored one rainy holidays quite a while ago. All of the compositions are in OggVorbis (.ogg) format at 128kbs, apart from pvp-arena_tmw, which is at 96kbs.

Enjoy!

Morgoth

(just fixed up the grammar and replaced the 'i's with Is. It's well after 2am here, so no wonder my grammar isn't too good.)
adamaix
Novice
Novice
Location: A secret garden hidden deep in the woods of Hurnscald

Post by adamaix »

pvp-arena_tmw.ogg is really nice! It has a very fast paced atmosphere, which kind of works in PvP. It could even work in the boss scene of the new graveyard map where the snake lord lives. Please developers do something about this, we need music in the game.
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

adamaix wrote:pvp-arena_tmw.ogg is really nice! It has a very fast paced atmosphere, which kind of works in PvP. It could even work in the boss scene of the new graveyard map where the snake lord lives. Please developers do something about this, we need music in the game.
You're mixing up different areas.
adamaix
Novice
Novice
Location: A secret garden hidden deep in the woods of Hurnscald

Post by adamaix »

Lets not get offtopic, we need music.

It does have a nice RPG feel to it, and its entirely original and we actually have a composer that's with us for more than a year and I turn the tmw audio off permanently because the few tracks we have is unbearable after so much hours spent listening to it.
Morgoth
Peon
Peon

Post by Morgoth »

Yay feedback! and so soon! Glad you like it.

Morgoth
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

The desert thingy and Pianology have potential for further development, IMO.
This message used to be meaningful.
Morgoth
Peon
Peon

Post by Morgoth »

*will develop pvp-arema_tmw.ogg and deserts to forests and pianology* I need to finish the pvp one anyway for school, and the deserts to forests one has a lot more planned for it, pianology i haven't got around to planning yet. I might do that during my next boring english/maths/science class.
Regret is a possible one to develop, it's partly my brother's work and i'll develop it if you people think it needs it.

Morgoth