a music sample

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

mrcold
Peon
Peon

a music sample

Post by mrcold »

I wrote this this evening.. It is pretty basic, and has a sudden cutoff at the end. If there is interest, i could definitely continue developing and looping so that it could actually be usable.
Attachments
sample.ogg
(1.02 MiB) Downloaded 208 times
Ishara
Peon
Peon

Re: a music sample

Post by Ishara »

For what its worth, I like it. :D
Character Name: Zephyr

"If you focus your mind on the freedom and community that you can build by staying firm, you will find the strength to do it. 'Stand for something, or you will fall for nothing.'"
~ Richard Stallman
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Sounds good so far. Could you make it louder? Compared to our other songs, it's barely a whisper.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Great start so far. It reminds me a lot of 16bit Snes RPGs. As Jaxad said the volume is very low but this should be the easiest to fix.

It would definitely be worth to continue working on it.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
mrcold
Peon
Peon

Post by mrcold »

Crush wrote:Great start so far. It reminds me a lot of 16bit Snes RPGs.
that is pretty much what i was going for :)

Thanks for the kind words.. I'll keep going with it and see what happens.

I have another one that i'll post before toooooo long. it's more upbeat and festive.

I'm up for any suggestions as well..
mrcold
Peon
Peon

Post by mrcold »

here is another.. this time with the looping fleshed out a little more.

oh.. this one is probably quiet too.. an easy problem to fix for sure.. I just haven't done it yet
Attachments
festive.ogg
(1.25 MiB) Downloaded 181 times
mrcold
Peon
Peon

Post by mrcold »

OK.. one last sample before i go to bed.
This time it is for some sort of dark, eerie setting. Its not necessarily 'scary' music.. but it has a dark feel. perhaps a damp forest or swamp or a witches hut or something.

hope you like it
as it is.. it could pretty much loop forever.
Attachments
eerie.ogg
(1.39 MiB) Downloaded 180 times
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

About "festive.ogg":
Sounds very medieval. It would be a great background music for a village. How about making it longer, adding one or two more instruments and some percussion?

About "eerie.ogg":
Also a good start. I could also imagine it in some kind of ghost castle. But could also be a bit longer. All our other background tracks are about three minutes long.
  • NOT a game master

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
mrcold
Peon
Peon

Post by mrcold »

and now 'festive' has become 'festive2'
extended and with percussion. Some of the cymbals and gongs are funny sounding, i'll work on those, and there are some strange things going on with the volume levels in a couple of places... but musically, how do you feel about it?
Attachments
festive2.ogg
(2.8 MiB) Downloaded 183 times
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

With the percussion it sounds much more heroic and castle-like. It would be a great soundtrack for the next big city which uses irucards stonewall tileset.

A very good track, except for the part approximately between 1:15 and 2:15. This part sounds a bit random and lacking, in my opinion. But besides that I like it a lot.
  • NOT a game master

mrcold
Peon
Peon

Post by mrcold »

hmm.. i am actually quite fond of that part. I thought it needed some sort of contrasting section. I am up for suggestions though if you or anyone else has ideas on what it needs.
I have an idea or two that i'll try out, but I might not get to work on it much til next week (the holiday...)
mrcold
Peon
Peon

Post by mrcold »

latest version..

What do you think?
Attachments
festival.ogg
(2.77 MiB) Downloaded 174 times
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

In my opinion it is already release-worthy (albeit we don't have a scenario where it would fit yet), but when you feel like working a bit more with the piece here are some suggestions what could be done in my opinion to improve it a bit:

-That sound effect on 0:30 and 1:07 is a bit too loud IMO
-I am still not that fond of the contrast section. How about creating one by staying more closely to the central theme but using a plucked string instrument instead of the flute?
-It could loop a bit better. Flawless looping music is not as important for city maps as it is for dungeon because most players in MMOs spent most of their time leveling and visit towns only shortly for shopping and questing. But it would still be better when the end and restart of the track would not be that obvious.
  • NOT a game master

Vink
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Vink »

Crush wrote:most players in MMOs spent most of their time leveling and visit towns only shortly for shopping and questing.
Except in this MMO, where many people do spend a lot of time in town. ;)

Very nice work, mrcold! :D
mrcold
Peon
Peon

Post by mrcold »

So now it seems that i have lost the project file for this. I still have all of the pure midi data, so it wouldn't be TOOO much work to get it all back, but I think for now, I am done working on this piece unless someone eventually decides they want to use it.
If that happens.. contact me and I'll be willing to do whatever you like to it :)

If anyone around here needs music for anything feel free to contact me.
email works best. I'll put my email in my user profile so all can see it.