openmoke freerunner port

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

tomminator
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

openmoke freerunner port

Post by tomminator »

not sure this is the place to ask, but is it possible to play tmw on a openmoko freerunner phone?
This is not a placeholder
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Re: openmoke freerunner port

Post by Jaxad0127 »

If you can find all of the dependencies for it, you might be able to do so.
tomminator
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by tomminator »

i installed debian on my openmoko freerunner, and so i was able to install tmw on it!

the screen is to smalll for the game though. Is the min resolution hardcoded? I tried to edit config.xml, but the size didn't change...

and because of the wrong resolution i was not able to get online.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

You can change the screen resolution in pixels with the config options screenwidth and screenheight (when they are not in your config.cfg you have to add them yourself).
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Beckus
Peon
Peon

Post by Beckus »

Besides the resolution: Where you able to see if it is playable? I mean, is it slow?
MoneyX
Novice
Novice

Post by MoneyX »

Beckus wrote:Besides the resolution: Where you able to see if it is playable? I mean, is it slow?
What kind of question is that?
Beckus
Peon
Peon

Post by Beckus »

Well, the OpenMoko has about 400MHz. I think it is not enough?
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Clock rates stopped being an adequate measurement for the processing power of CPUs years ago. During the 90s we rushed from 20 Mhz to 1000 MHz, but during the new millenium we barely reached 4 Ghz yet. Does that mean that the development of new CPUs has stalled? No, CPUs got considerably faster without higher clock rates by having more pipelines, more cores and more efficient instruction sets. The new Intel Core i7-870 with 2.96 GHz is MUCH faster than a Pentium IV 3 GHz from 2004.

Especially when comparing a RISC CPU like the S3C2442 from the Neo FreeRunner with CISC CPUs like those from desktop computers it is meaningless to just look at the clock rates because RISC CPUs are much faster for some calculations but much slower for others.

So what is a meaningful rating for processing power to look at? Unfortunately there is none. Run the same programs on different processors and compare how long they take.

So I would also be very curiouse how fast TMW runs on the FreeRunner smartphone. Unfortunately it seems like tomminator has left this forum (last post from january) so we will never find out.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Beckus
Peon
Peon

Post by Beckus »

Well, I could check that.
I know I can't compare a RISC with a CISC just by comparing the clock rate, but without the memory being full, some programs run slow on my OpenMoko.
I just can't believe it will be playable while having it on my 2GHz and 1GB Ram Thinkpad consuming very much of my CPU power on a 640-480 resolution...
We'll see ;)
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Beckus wrote:Well, I could check that.
I know I can't compare a RISC with a CISC just by comparing the clock rate, but without the memory being full, some programs run slow on my OpenMoko.
I just can't believe it will be playable while having it on my 2GHz and 1GB Ram Thinkpad consuming very much of my CPU power on a 640-480 resolution...
We'll see ;)
Hardware acceleration (through OpenGL) also has an effect. It reduces the load on the CPU rather noticeably for TMW. Graphics cards of enough quality for it to be usable aren't usually found on such small devices.
Matt
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Matt »

OpenMoko is dead, I doubt anyone would optimize TMW for it. Android is the way to go :)
MoneyX
Novice
Novice

Post by MoneyX »

Yes it is!
Beckus
Peon
Peon

Post by Beckus »

But Android could run on the Neo Freerunner. TMW is available for debian linux which runs on my Freerunner, too. So why is it dead? As long as TMW will be available for debian, it'll be for the Neo. I should check that, i think it has small OpenGL abilities.
tomminator
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by tomminator »

i tried it some weeks ago, but it seems that the freerunner is way to slow to play tmw,
after fine tuning the settings, disable particles effects, reducing fps etc
it still get stuck at the login screen. it already uses 100% cpu by then. i waited for like 10 min or so, but it was stil trying to connect to the server

i was thinking it might be a network connection error, but other programs on the freerunner could reach the internet without any problems. so i gave up
Ceros
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Ceros »

tomminator wrote:i tried it some weeks ago, but it seems that the freerunner is way to slow to play tmw,
after fine tuning the settings, disable particles effects, reducing fps etc
it still get stuck at the login screen. it already uses 100% cpu by then. i waited for like 10 min or so, but it was stil trying to connect to the server

i was thinking it might be a network connection error, but other programs on the freerunner could reach the internet without any problems. so i gave up
You should try again - TMW suffers frequent DDoS attacks and may have been down for everyone.