Character sprites

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

Talaroc
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Talaroc »

The feet in this particular frame look a little odd just because of the position the character's in (the part of stepping he's at); they should look better once all frames are done.

Hair: No, not at all. I just left it in because I was too lazy to take it out.
Hairless sprite: Image

Obviously, I didn't smooth the head, which I'll do (along with removing the white background) if this turns into a full set.
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Post by ElvenProgrammer »

Heh man you're great, ths for the quick answer :D
maci
Knight
Knight

Post by maci »

duh he looks so real.
except his face ;)
ElvenProgrammer wrote:Maci: don't be rude, we're here to help people ;)
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

What was already mentioned before: The feet are a bit Legoish..?
Jormungand
Peon
Peon

Post by Jormungand »

Hehehe. No toes? XD
Kyokai
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Kyokai »

This is really starting to go too far. Can you just finalize a design and give it to us? If you want to change the sprite, then do it later. Right now, everyone wants the character set. It's best not to collaborate with the other artists on this, Talaroc. Waiting for them and trying to incorporate everything together is only going to slow us down more and more.

I mean, I really want to be nice about this, but 2 months is a ridiculous amount of time to work without producing a single player sprite sheet. I can admire your dedication and all, but we've already passed the point of diminishing returns on this thing. Just get it done by the next release please. That's 1 more week.
The Mana World System Coordinator.
View the Systems
So what does the systems coordinator actually do? My job is to take your ideas for TMW and build them into working aspects of gameplay that can be implemented by the artists and programmers. If there's anything you think we can do better or differently, let me know.
Talaroc
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Talaroc »

This is really starting to go too far. Can you just finalize a design and give it to us? If you want to change the sprite, then do it later.
That won't work, unless you feel like redoing clothing and equipments sets to accomodate.
Right now, everyone wants the character set. It's best not to collaborate with the other artists on this, Talaroc. Waiting for them and trying to incorporate everything together is only going to slow us down more and more.
I can't agree with you. First off, incorporating Jetryl's changes to my original sprites brings the quality way up. Second, if you look at games like BfW, the vast majority of those sprites were collaborations. That's how you get quality. I'm not saying let's turn this into a committee thing, but I am saying I'm going to accept the aid and advice of someone rather more experienced and technically proficient than myself for the sake of a better game.
I mean, I really want to be nice about this, but 2 months is a ridiculous amount of time to work without producing a single player sprite sheet. I can admire your dedication and all, but we've already passed the point of diminishing returns on this thing. Just get it done by the next release please. That's 1 more week.
Do bear in mind that I'm in school. That's been eating my work time a whole hell of a lot more than the style alterations have. I'll get done what I can in the next week, but unless a pretty sizeable chunk of time opens up, I really doubt it'll be a full (all actions included) sprite sheet.
Kyokai
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Kyokai »

I don't mind if we only have the 4 walking directions, but it would be nice to put something into stone as far as our player goes. From then, we can get other artists to help with the derived sprites.

I don't think you shouldn't get advice or anything, but it seems like right before we're finished with one set, another great idea comes along and we have to redo the whole thing. It's just sort of frustrating. Whenever I go on TMW, I say to players "how do you like the game?" and they say "It's cool, but am I ever going to be able to change my character?"
View the Systems
So what does the systems coordinator actually do? My job is to take your ideas for TMW and build them into working aspects of gameplay that can be implemented by the artists and programmers. If there's anything you think we can do better or differently, let me know.
Talaroc
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Talaroc »

I'll see what I can do. If I can have any sprites beyond the four walking/standing directions in by that time, I'll include them in the sheet.

By the way, is this new release going to include a working Mac version?
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Well I think if we want a quality prodict we can't ask everything done in a week (for the 0.0.12 release), I'd say let's have a timeline for 0.0.13, but we want to see at least walking sprites for the next week.

About the mac version, well we're still working on it...
Kyokai
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Kyokai »

(Looks at Talaroc quizzically)
View the Systems
Talaroc
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Talaroc »

Working at it, working at it. Progress has been made, but school decided to reassert itself. When do the new sprites need to be in to be included in the next release?
Bjørn
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bjørn »

Talaroc wrote:Working at it, working at it. Progress has been made, but school decided to reassert itself. When do the new sprites need to be in to be included in the next release?
We make a minor release every month, so 0.0.13 is going to be end of May. On top of that we make bugfix releases when necessary.
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Now that SimEdw is back we have strong possibilities to get a mac version soon, about the sprites well I think we will release 0.0.13 at the beginning of june.
Ghost
Peon
Peon

Post by Ghost »

Elven Programmer wrote:Now that SimEdw is back we have strong possibilities to get a mac version soon, about the sprites well I think we will release 0.0.13 at the beginning of june.
:( Aw man...