[REQ] New Lava tiles

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: [REQ] New Lava tiles

Post by Crush »

The particle engine is not really suitable to visualize large-scale liquid flows.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Len
Knight
Knight

Post by Len »

I actually really like Modanung's lava (its probably a little too realistic for the game at this time, but in the future i could see it used)
Attachments
lava.PNG
lava.PNG (18.91 KiB) Viewed 928 times
Pixel Battalion
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Len wrote:I actually really like Modanung's lava (its probably a little too realistic for the game at this time, but in the future i could see it used)
What's wrong with realism?
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

You might think that there is no "too good" for graphics. But when graphics are significantly better than their surrounding they stand out uncomfortably and hurt the overall composition more than they help it.

As an example compare the pixel art style of Seiken Densetzu 3 and Zelda for SNES:
image15.jpg
image15.jpg (70.02 KiB) Viewed 916 times
zelda4.jpg
zelda4.jpg (26.39 KiB) Viewed 916 times
The graphics of SD3 are clearly superior. They have a much higher grade of detail and use a lot of advanced pixel art techniques while the art of Zelda is pretty minimalistic. But the minimalistic style is consistent.

Imagine what would happen when we would take some tiles from SD3 and put them into Zelda. Would they improve Zeldas overall graphics? No, they would make them worse because they would destroy the consistency.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Crush wrote:You might think that there is no "too good" for graphics. But when graphics are significantly better than their surrounding they stand out uncomfortably and hurt the overall composition more than they help it.

As an example compare the pixel art style of Seiken Densetzu 3 and Zelda for SNES:
image15.jpg
zelda4.jpg
The graphics of SD3 are clearly superior. They have a much higher grade of detail and use a lot of advanced pixel art techniques while the art of Zelda is pretty minimalistic. But the minimalistic style is consistent.

Imagine what would happen when we would take some tiles from SD3 and put them into Zelda. Would they improve Zeldas overall graphics? No, they would make them worse because they would destroy the consistency.
I know. But EJlol has been working on a new cave tileset that we could integrate the better lava into.
EJlol
TMW Furniture
TMW Furniture

Post by EJlol »

But EJlol has been doing nothing while he should be working on a new cave tileset that we could integrate the better lava into.
:wink:
octalot
Novice
Novice

What becomes of the old and new cave tilesets

Post by octalot »

I'd been assuming that the new-cave tileset would replace the old-cave tileset. But I'm moving to the idea that they should both be in the game for a long time as different types of cave, in the same way that we have different types of village.

Zelda and SD3 tiles in the same map would be terrible. But how would people feel about having some caves look like Zelda and others in a different region look like SD3?

Bias: I've spent a while working on the old-cave tileset recently.
Retired from TMW; incomplete projects looking for a dev:
Cave foliage (plants up the walls): http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5659
Cave wetwalls (water down the walls): http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5816