[DIS] A Quick Question

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

valus
Peon
Peon

[DIS] A Quick Question

Post by valus »

What software should I use to create sprites?

Thanks.
Len
Knight
Knight

Re: A Quick Question

Post by Len »

Most of us use Gimp
Pixel Battalion
EJlol
TMW Furniture
TMW Furniture

Post by EJlol »

I use Paint.net

You can create sprites with almost any graphic program, the only real requirment is that it needs to support a alpha channel. (GIMP and Paint.net do support an alpha channel).
Freeyorp101
Archivist Prime
Archivist Prime

Post by Freeyorp101 »

I use gimp personally :)

---Freeyorp
(09:58:17) < tux9th> Freeyorp: your sig on the forums is kind of outdated
valus
Peon
Peon

Post by valus »

How do I create the appropriate amount of pixelation? I have Gimp and Photoshop (I don't know what Paint.net).

Do those programs have a pixel editor designed for making sprites?

Thanks
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

The primary tool in gimp for creating pixel art is the pen tool with one pixel brush size and 100% opacity.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Spit23
Novice
Novice

Post by Spit23 »

Many of use GIMP, because it's a free open source program (available for windows and linux) with many professional features close to Adobes Photoshop. How Crush said before, the most important tool you need for pixel art is the simple pencil tool, so there's also nothing wrong with MS Paint. The only problem with MS Paint is that it doesn't support things like different layers and opacity which are definetely useful for doing pixel art.

OT: Sorry for going off-topic but I found a little funny fake-dokumentary about the MS Paint developement which I think is really funny for users of graphic software so excuse me and enjoy :wink: http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=Hxx2KcPWWZg
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

MS Paint does not allow transparency. This makes it impossible to create almost all kinds of graphics for tmw without the help of another person to add transparencey to the graphic.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Crush wrote:MS Paint does not allow transparency. This makes it impossible to create almost all kinds of graphics for tmw without the help of another person to add transparencey to the graphic.
That's what Spit23 said.

There are programs made for pixel art, but the only one I know of has problems with png. I also can't remember it's name. ;)
valus
Peon
Peon

Post by valus »

Thanks for the replies.

I can draw quite well, but I'm certain that this sprite business is gonna be an art unto it itself.