Rauk's Alchemy Quest is a Joke

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

Booty
Novice
Novice

Rauk's Alchemy Quest is a Joke

Post by Booty »

Seriously. Why do the quest? If you actually want the potion you could just trade the mushrooms or the petals to a shop and buy the potion, if you are going to sell the potion you are better of just selling the petals and mushrooms. There is no benefit in dealing with Rauk.

ways to fix this?

S1 Reduce the amount of raw material to half (10)
P1 While if your aim is to get a cheaper concentration potion this is an okay solution. Strength potions are easier to get from spiky mushrooms.

S2 Reduce the amount of raw material needed even more
P2 The quest becomes a financial one and will just hurt the economy

S3 Reduce the value of the raw material/ increase the value of the potions
P3 Now that is just silly

S4 Make it a one time quest where you get a permanent boost in the stat
Oooo I like this one!
Superkoop
Warrior
Warrior

Re: Rauk's Alchemy Quest is a Joke

Post by Superkoop »

I think the last one is the nicest idea, since I see this in a lot of games where there are NPCs that give you a quest that raise a stat point actually. I see none of this in the game.

And also, concerning the worthwhile of Rauk, it's not. You can buy a Iron/Concentration potion for 500GP, and I don't really consider them worthwhile actually, since they don't last very long. But this could be solved with the crafting system, with being a higher level and having longer and more potent effects.

For now I think either the first or the last is good.
In game I am Xaru
On forums I am Superkoop
IRL I am John
-View World map-
Booty
Novice
Novice

Post by Booty »

I was thinking about this more. a variation of the last suggestion could be that the raised stat lasts until you are dead but you can come back and get it again provided you redo the quest. This will give mid to high level players an incentive not to die and rely more on food instead of selling it. Dying could finally have some real negative repercussions.
Superkoop
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Superkoop »

And if this is possible on the current server, and wouldn't be too hard, it would be a good temporary punishment until TMWserv comes out.
In game I am Xaru
On forums I am Superkoop
IRL I am John
-View World map-
Booty
Novice
Novice

Post by Booty »

Self inflicted punishment is the best kind
Arilious
Novice
Novice

Post by Arilious »

Sorry to revive a dead topic, but I think this deserves another go. Especially with the higher use of these potions in Jack-O teaming, as well as using them on skulls and other monsters when battling, this quest does need re-evaluation. With Petals being used for pink dye as well, they are an ever increasing need for some, and these drops aren't the most common thing. The drops themselves are definitely worth more than the 500GP it costs to buy them, not to mention that iron Potions are dropped more commonly than what it takes to make them by Spiked Mushrooms. Can the development team take a second look at this and either make it worthwhile or just remove it completely and make Rauk a dye maker only?

(Thoughts I'd use this Topic instead of maknig a new one for the same issue.)
radiant
Novice
Novice

Post by radiant »

I've suggested a "monster repellent" item that works like a potion, but its 90-second effect would be to prevent any aggressive monsters from pursuing you, and to avoid the case of it being worthless against passive monsters, it'd probably also have all monsters of any kind react to your attacks by adopting the "run away" tactic.

With that in place, a reshuffling of Rauk's requirements would be more meritous: concentration potion would take __ petals (probably 10), the new repellent would take the same number of small mushrooms, and to replace said mushrooms, iron potions would then require 1 or 2 chunks of iron ore.
yasha
Novice
Novice

Post by yasha »

I think Rauk should stay, and have same quests, but for 10 petals you get more than one concentration potion (maybe 10?) and for 10 small mushrooms you get (10?) iron potions.
Uses Ubuntu 8.10 and The mana world 0.0.27.
octalot
Novice
Novice

Post by octalot »

S5: one time quest for experience
Rauk thanks you for helping him improve his skills, and gives you an XP award the first time he creates each type.
Retired from TMW; incomplete projects looking for a dev:
Cave foliage (plants up the walls): http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5659
Cave wetwalls (water down the walls): http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5816