[GIT] Zombie

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

Fother
Warrior
Warrior

[GIT] Zombie

Post by Fother »

Current Sheet:
Original first Post below
--------
Minus the fact that I forgot to save it with some freaking alpha transparency turned on, so there's white crap around it:
I'm going to have to rethink the textureing, stance, walking, and attack, after reading your posts, but I was going for the possibility of the sprite to wear regular player equipment (where it can't be picked up as a drop of course).

Imagine if a zombie map auto spawned a zombie wearing the same gear as fallen player on that map (but just imagine, because that would probably be a complete PITA).
Last edited by Fother on 17 Sep 2009, 13:07, edited 4 times in total.
"Fother" Jarrett Huxley
Evil Pixel Artist
Wiki Page | Trello | Google+ Profile
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: Graveyard Tileset

Post by Crush »

Basing the animation of an undead monster on the playerset is not a good idea, in my opinion. A reanimated corpse should move a lot more stiffly than a living character.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
5t3v3
Warrior
Warrior

Post by 5t3v3 »

+1,
example: arms stretched out while walking, perhaps one of their legs is being dragged behind, stuff like that :)
Skin looks right, pants could perhaps be a bit more ragged?
great work though, keep it up
In game characters: "5t3v3" and "L "
celso
Peon
Peon

Post by celso »

maybe make 1 arm showing the bones? like to show that he was in decomposition? (dont know if i write well decomposition. sorry)

peace

edit: and watching from the sides, seems a living player to me. maybe the skin should be a little more dark? like the colour of the right/left side of the head but not that much.
Fother
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Fother »

Okay... so Freeyorp pointed out that in my infinite lack of caffeine, I've inadvertently traced over the outer pixles in black when I tried making it into the gif. I made the skin darker, made the pants more tattered, and the walk more clumsy and stylized. Besides the black outline, and the fact that he looks a bit yellow, any call outs so far?

It's impossible to tell with it walking up stage, but he's actually dragging a bloody right leg behind him (which when walking right or left, you would see it making a semi transparent streak.
"Fother" Jarrett Huxley
Evil Pixel Artist
5t3v3
Warrior
Warrior

Post by 5t3v3 »

I like it alot, the black outline doesn't even stand out that much
In game characters: "5t3v3" and "L "
Shaili (a.k.a. tds)
Novice
Novice

Post by Shaili (a.k.a. tds) »

Try softening the outline with a yellowish colour ;)

There is also a frame with the overlay of two heads' outlines, it should be fixed ;)
Ingame I am: Shaili, Lv. 9X

Image Proud Italian TMW Player

Image You can find me on Last.fm
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

Nitpickery aside and concentrating on the main aspects:

I love the animation. Especially how the head is about to fall off by its own weight and just barely manages to wobble through the walk cycle. You've also grasped the point of cutting different parts of the body and moving them individually of each other instead of being arsed to individually re-pixel stuff infinitely.

http://www.roempire.com/database/?page= ... w&mid=1015

It actually even reminded me of the RO zombie somehow.

Welcome aboard.

The nitpickery is usually valid, but should only be applied after you finish the main aspects and are happy about the result. The exception to this of course is situations where the nitpickery is going to lead into repixeling the object in question.

People, don't burden our artists with too much. And fixing outlining and cleaning up the spritesheets are tasks you are capable of doing yourself too, so why not just post a fixed spritesheet directly instead of just demanding more from the original author? When it comes to graphics, it's easier to show than to describe. We should evolve our workflow more into the direction of talking through pictures.
This message used to be meaningful.
Shaili (a.k.a. tds)
Novice
Novice

Post by Shaili (a.k.a. tds) »

Rotonen wrote:Nitpickery aside and concentrating on the main aspects:
People, don't burden our artists with too much. And fixing outlining and cleaning up the spritesheets are tasks you are capable of doing yourself too, so why not just post a fixed spritesheet directly instead of just demanding more from the original author? When it comes to graphics, it's easier to show than to describe. We should evolve our workflow more into the direction of talking through pictures.
Just giving a hint. Unfortunatly I don't have Gimp on my PDA (with which I'm reading) ;D
Ingame I am: Shaili, Lv. 9X

Image Proud Italian TMW Player

Image You can find me on Last.fm
Fother
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Fother »

I appreciate it the nitpickery disclaimer! I honestly don't mind pickiness though, it's better to get feedback and suggestions before knocking through a whole lot of frames so I won't have to cry about scrapping a whole set.
I'll try and finish up when I get off work so I can see if having the zombie drag a bloody right looks too goofy. Now's the time to let me know about zombie variations btw... i.e. legless zombies crawling around with their arms, zombie warriors, pirate zombies... that kinda stuff! (heck, I haven't thought about the the death animation either!? Maybe ignite into a blue fire with cinders? I dunno.)
"Fother" Jarrett Huxley
Evil Pixel Artist
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Fother J wrote:legless zombies crawling around with their arms
Please don't overdo the gore. TMW is not a survival horror game.
  • NOT a game master

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Fother
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Fother »

Awww, no zombie Moubous then? Grains! Grraaains!
LOL.

Besides, my lack of an attention span has prevented me from touching this sprite all day. I only managed to touch up the border and add an attack animation (and only for the south facing direction) :(
"Fother" Jarrett Huxley
Evil Pixel Artist
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

Brilliant. Especially the teeth.

AFAIK you're currently the fastest working artist on the team. :)
This message used to be meaningful.
Fother
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Fother »

Alright, here's the preview image (keep in mind that I've already removed some of the spare white pixels from the sprite sheet, but didn't feel like remaking the preview a 2nd time). :lol:

And here's the sprite sheet:

Please let me know your concerns/feedback in case I need to change more on it.
And yes I borrowed a frame from the skulls... everybody likes consistency.
"Fother" Jarrett Huxley
Evil Pixel Artist
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

The head looks very blurry in some frames. Did you use automatic rotation?
  • NOT a game master