Walking NPC's and animating tiles?

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

dadaemon
Peon
Peon

Walking NPC's and animating tiles?

Post by dadaemon »

Well... Two questions. In many RPG's there are NPC's (duh!) But what I always see is that those NPC's always stand in their place. As if they were statues.

Isn't it nicer for them to at least move in their own house/bar/shop etc. Maybe even walk in their own town. And what wouldn't be greater than a traveling merchant who realy travels the whole world.

I think it should be possible right? Just threat the NPC's as PC's.

As for my other question. Will there be support for animating tiles? For example a waterfall or maybe a torch in a cave.

Well, just two questions I wanted to ask :)
Pajarico
Knight
Knight

Post by Pajarico »

I think that the biggest problem is that artist would have do more work.

:wink:
Talaroc
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Talaroc »

Given that the NPC's are to be made from the standard character sprites, meaning we can clothe them in the same manner, mobile NPC's would actually not constitute much extra work at all.

And I'd be down with the marginal extra amount of work it would take to animate those sprites that need animation.
Pajarico
Knight
Knight

Post by Pajarico »

Yes, but you have to do the clothes from at least four points of view...
HaLLanHype
Novice
Novice

Post by HaLLanHype »

I say to only have some move and others stationary. That is how WoW is. Some are roaming about and others are always same spot.
Talaroc
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Talaroc »

Pajarico wrote:Yes, but you have to do the clothes from at least four points of view...
Which is no different from how we're doing any other clothes. There's going to be a fairly huge equipment list, adding a few more on for NPC's shouldn't be a big deal.
Pajarico
Knight
Knight

Post by Pajarico »

Which is no different from how we're doing any other clothes.
I didn't say it was different, actually that was my point. But it you feel you could do it...
Kyokai
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Kyokai »

We are planning on it. The only problem at present is that we have yet to get a complete character sprite sheet, and therefore can't make clothes for any of the NPCs yet, so it's naked walking NPCs or clothed stationary NPCs at the moment.
The Mana World System Coordinator.
View the Systems
So what does the systems coordinator actually do? My job is to take your ideas for TMW and build them into working aspects of gameplay that can be implemented by the artists and programmers. If there's anything you think we can do better or differently, let me know.
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

Let's not concentrate on the minor glamorous details at this point, ok? :)
Jormungand
Peon
Peon

Post by Jormungand »

Just wanted to point out that if you ever visited http://www.xrpg.net and look at the animation you can export you might find many animation that are pretty good. They have waterfall, fountain, fire, smoke, water, rain, thunder, and other animations. I am working on my own RPG and you can do quite a bit of things with animations and layers. As for the battle system. Its a crappy turn based game. (meaning the graphics sux hardcore)
Whist
Peon
Peon

Post by Whist »

well what you could do, is modle alot of npcs after players, and when players get a name or something under them, it would be a differnet color so you could tell it was a npc...though for this to work good, you'd need alot of variety of hair styles, and body proportions (or classes, or sprite changing armor blah blah)

if you did that, you could make a traveling merchent, you could have a low chance of him appearing on a map slowly roaming around for X ammount of time...he could have good deals on randomly generated items and maybe have some items that you can't purchase at npcs, which would be extreamly expensive of course.

but yeah having npcs just walk around in little areas is just eye candy, it's nice, but definatly shouldn't be top priority...should be one of the last things that happens.
Kyokai
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Kyokai »

Well, we really have to get our character sprite finished first. AFter that, walking NPCs are only as far away as clothed characters are (which isn't super-far).
The Mana World System Coordinator.
View the Systems
So what does the systems coordinator actually do? My job is to take your ideas for TMW and build them into working aspects of gameplay that can be implemented by the artists and programmers. If there's anything you think we can do better or differently, let me know.