Testing period on enigma.dy.fi until 11th of January 2009

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Testing period on enigma.dy.fi until 11th of January 2009

Post by Rotonen »

As some of you might already know, we have a testing environment these days where we test the changes before pushing them into the live environment. This idea came up when we pushed some changes on you without any consultation and you did not exactly like them.

If we have official testing periods on enigma, the exp and drop rates will be 10x. Outside the official testing periods, the content of the server might be incomplete or deranged in a multitude of fashions due to development being in process.

This testing period includes monster spawn placement tweaking and some changes to the monsters. Also included is a tweaked formula for how exp is counted (but you have to take into account the 10x multiplier for feedback about that one).

Usage of the latest client is always strongly encouraged for the testing server. For this testing the recommended client of choice is hence 0.0.27.

So, set your server to enigma.dy.fi, go have fun for a week and report back here as you find something out or just have something to say about the proposed changes.
This message used to be meaningful.
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Re: Testing period on enigma.dy.fi until 11th of January 2009

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Note on new exp: the 10x is applied before mutations. I'll post a full exp list here soon. Note that many mobs do have different stats, so a direct comparison to the main server will be more difficult.
octalot
Novice
Novice

Post by octalot »

(assuming this thread is the place for feedback on these changes)

I like the change to safe monsters between Tulimshar and Hurnscald.

As 002-1 (desert just south of Tulimshar) has become a much lower level area, I think the sandstorm should be removed from that map.
Retired from TMW; incomplete projects looking for a dev:
Cave foliage (plants up the walls): http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5659
Cave wetwalls (water down the walls): http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5816
octalot
Novice
Novice

Post by octalot »

Sandra's red scorpion text needs to be updated, as they're now on the beach.
Cave foliage (plants up the walls): http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5659
Cave wetwalls (water down the walls): http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5816
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

octalot wrote:(assuming this thread is the place for feedback on these changes)

I like the change to safe monsters between Tulimshar and Hurnscald.

As 002-1 (desert just south of Tulimshar) has become a much lower level area, I think the sandstorm should be removed from that map.
Yes, somewhere in the eastern deserts would probably fit the mood better.
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

octalot wrote:Sandra's red scorpion text needs to be updated, as they're now on the beach.
We're probably going to change her to require something easier to get.
octalot
Novice
Novice

Post by octalot »

Fluffies seem to give too much XP compared to other monsters, considering their weak attack.
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

octalot wrote:Fluffies seem to give too much XP compared to other monsters, considering their weak attack.
Probably due to heightened luk. The new exp formula should probably not take that into account so much.
octalot
Novice
Novice

Post by octalot »

Tulimshar's mine is now in the middle of the new newbie zone, but is still a level 40+ area with aggressive monsters at the entrance. I think an introductory yellow slime area like the demon mines would be nicer.
bigglesworth
Novice
Novice

Post by bigglesworth »

The black scorpions are extremely difficult to hit with both ranged and melee weapons. My character stats are Str20-Agi19-Vit26-Int5-Dex71-Luk25 & level 54.

The monster populations look more natural on the maps they inhabit.
radiant
Novice
Novice

Post by radiant »

Black scorpions don't seem any harder to hit than before; I'm getting about a 50% hit rate with a 5-15-99-5-25-45 build (then again, I'm used to getting a few misses if that rate seems low).

The cave snakes seem a bit too rewarding. Part of this probably has to do with the low level of 30.

Near-global increases in luck makes for an interesting change to the atmosphere, imposing a global need for players to pick up more luck as they head to the higher levels.

JackO's max attack going to 500 is too far. With the current state of equipment, there's nothing a character can even do to stop it from hitting 50s. If it goes to 375, then at least a full defense can hold the actual damage under 10.

Speaking of that, with XP loss now in place for dying, something needs to be done about the return trip from JackO. As it is, there's no way you can possibly know that the only exit from the ledge is guarded by 40 spiders and snakes for an unavoidable instant kill, until it's too late. A neat little idea might be a one-way warp, to let you jump down to the red slime ledge which is at least known safe, and has a safer cave entrance (albeit more time-consuming--there's tradeoffs for you).

Now here's an idea. The JackO on platinum strongly favors melee: extremely fast ground speed for pursuit, hard hits that require shields to mitigate (yeah, discounting that equip bug for the time being), but otherwise easy to keep under control. The flower on the other hand, strongly favors range (test server even more so because of that extra luck): it hits hard and fast with a good critical rate for hits that don't care about your defense, but can't pursue someone who keeps it out of range. So it'd be nice to have a "boss" level monster that favors range...hm, why not reconcept the skulls for that role?
-Set JackO to attack for 225-375, and drop its luck a bit to 40
-Set skulls' speed to 1500 and ADelay to 900, keeping everything else the same

This should bring the monsters closer in power level against their respective styles, though a change like that probably merits the removal of one of the two skulls from the opening room of the demon mines.
haggard
Novice
Novice

Post by haggard »

so when i enter enigma.dy.fi into my connection spot it says it cant connect to remote server
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

The content on Enigma has undergone some changes, particularly the spawn rates for the desert mountains have been reworked. Please test that area.
georgm
Peon
Peon

Post by georgm »

As suggested by the update, I tested the server at enigma.dy.fi. This was a really nice way to do some of the old quests once again! Here's the feedback:
  • * The monsters seem to drop items inside the walls sometimes. Aisha also stands on a wall, is there something wrong with object placement?
    * Vincent writes: "Can you find me 30 [bug legs]?" Are the square brackets supposed to be there?
    * I cannot sit down.
    * The rain is only on one half of the screen (but it looks nice!).
    * The rain falls into the wrong direction compared with the clouds. (It is also unrealistic to have this rain with such clouds, so maybe one shouldn't have these effects at the same time?)
    * When I get revived I am at full health.
    * A roasted maggot didn't restore my health.
    * Alan says in the forest bow quest "excelent", instead of "excellent".
Also, many shadows seem to be missing in the Woodlands tileset. Is somebody working on that?
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

georgm wrote:The monsters seem to drop items inside the walls sometimes. Aisha also stands on a wall, is there something wrong with object placement?
They will only drop where you can walk. Are you sure you have the latest client data?
georgm wrote:Vincent writes: "Can you find me 30 [bug legs]?" Are the square brackets supposed to be there?
That has been that way for a while.
georgm wrote:The rain is only on one half of the screen (but it looks nice!).
Then you must have been in a position to only see half of it.
georgm wrote:The rain falls into the wrong direction compared with the clouds. (It is also unrealistic to have this rain with such clouds, so maybe one shouldn't have these effects at the same time?)
Those are completely different systems. Rain is actually part of the magic system.
georgm wrote:When I get revived I am at full health.
That is intentional to make testing easier.
georgm wrote:A roasted maggot didn't restore my health.
I'll look into it.
georgm wrote:Alan says in the forest bow quest "excelent", instead of "excellent".
Will fix.