TMW freezes KDE 3 desktop

Ask for help regarding any technical issue or report any bug or OS independent issues.
fargris
Peon
Peon

TMW freezes KDE 3 desktop

Post by fargris »

This is my setup: AMD64 HW, running Debian, which I have upgraded to "testing". Before the upgrade, the tmw client worked fine; now it seems to freeze my desktop. It runs for a short while, I can log on if I do it immediately, then soon after I start moving about, everything freezes. I have tried this with the client provided through Debians servers as well as compiling my own.

I don't expect anyone to simply say "This is what's wrong" - but perhaps somebody could point me in some direction? How do I debug this thing? Are there command line option to turn tracing on etc?
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Re: TMW freezes KDE 3 desktop

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Can you attach your log (~/.tmw/tmw.log)?
fargris
Peon
Peon

Post by fargris »

Here you are. Thanks for helping!
Attachments
tmw.log
(44.38 KiB) Downloaded 69 times
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

One thing I keep seeing that might be the problem, it can't handle many of our images. They're too big (dimension wise). It's cropping them, which would be a problem.
fargris
Peon
Peon

Post by fargris »

The strange thing is, it wasn't a problem before I upgraded my OS; and I see the map and other players OK. One thing is odd though - for a while before I upgraded the OS, I found the monsters often turned into a "rainbow" when they got killed - just a short, horizontal bar of different colours.
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

fargris wrote:The strange thing is, it wasn't a problem before I upgraded my OS; and I see the map and other players OK. One thing is odd though - for a while before I upgraded the OS, I found the monsters often turned into a "rainbow" when they got killed - just a short, horizontal bar of different colours.
Sounds like the same problem. Are you running the game in OpenGL mode? If so, try turning it off.
fargris
Peon
Peon

Post by fargris »

Turning opengl off seems to have repaired it, but I had to rebuild - I didn't even get as far as seeing the log on dialog before it killed the entire desktop enough that I had to reboot. Not even logging on over the net and killing tmw, X and the other things freed up the display.
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

fargris wrote:Turning opengl off seems to have repaired it, but I had to rebuild - I didn't even get as far as seeing the log on dialog before it killed the entire desktop enough that I had to reboot. Not even logging on over the net and killing tmw, X and the other things freed up the display.
You didn't need to rebuild, there is a config option for it.