[BAN] Sharighan's level lowered and banned

This forum is used to deal with abuse in game - abuse reports, bans etc.
Katze
Knight
Knight

[BAN] Sharighan's level lowered and banned

Post by Katze »

I was called to Sharighan, because someone thought he was botting. I went there and he didn't answer to my "hello" or to my warnings. I warped back to Hurnscald immediately after that. When I came there, Sharighan was there online with his mule.

He said he saw his window close, because he had been reading a new book while playing tmw. He had been unmoving for about 10 minutes. However, the fact that he had been online immediately after the ban, and the fact that, despite many people hating him, nobody had seen him botting before, I lowered his baselevel from 77 down to 55 and banned him for one day.

I did that only on one condition: He must stop harassing other players and be nice to them. Otherwise I would reset him to level 1.

Most people suggested that I leave him banned or reset him fully like it is commonly done. But most of those suggestions had been based on dislike towards him because of his harassing behaviour. But since such statements can hardly be called objective in such a case, I decided to do what I did (also something a player suggested) instead of relying on them.

In the hope I didn't make too many people unhappy with my decision,

Katze
Meow! (Katze is also known as Plush & Kater)
Gui
Novice
Novice

Re: [BAN] Sharighan's level lowered and banned

Post by Gui »

Great.
its just to all honest players!
z0ro
Novice
Novice

Post by z0ro »

That's not fair to other "botters", their level got back to 1 or banned while Sharighan only got couple of levels down and not banned nor reset. I do not support this decision, you caught him botting and you are not treating him like you would to other botters.

What about this guy (forgot his name) who claimed he was watching TV and left couple of coins on his keyboard or something like that, you banned/reset him. Same with Sharighan, he was reading his book, regardless if people like him or not, you should still treat him as a botter like you would for other bots.

Oh and to add this- I don't hate him, I like him, he's just pain in the ass sometime, but he has helped me out couple of times but I still think you should do what is fair. I am not being biased or anything.

P.S. - I know he was banned but I meant perm banned like other botters.
sugarcorgit
Novice
Novice

Post by sugarcorgit »

He should have had the full ban to lvl one and loose all his items.
Don't worry he will bot again.
sugar
bigglesworth
Novice
Novice

Post by bigglesworth »

I'm not a friend or foe of Sharighan. Most likely a foe :p But, if you Katze, desire to to punish him/her, please do it within the established manner you have done so in the past. Either reset or ignore/accept the offender.

Losing a multitude of levels is a punishment, but please be fair to everyone.
Katze
Knight
Knight

Post by Katze »

I still think there is a difference between putting coins on the keyboard (while watching tv), and having your fingers on the keyboard while reading.
I even got a suggestion to just unban Sharighan without any punishment.

There has been a similar case:

UberKalimero seemed to be botting many times. And I caught him twicee. But as he reacted within the given time limit, I could not ban him. And I have to admit I gave Uber at least one minute more than I gave Sharighan whom I didn't even tell when his time would be over.
So Sharighan reacted withing the time limit I had given UberKalimero...
And I never had a case in which somebody came online ot once after having been banned. So in that sense it was just.

But should I ever again catch him, he will be getting a full reset without discussion. And considering what I told him yesterday, I should also reset his stats if he was going to harass others ever again. You could call that suspension of sentence on probation.

Katze
z0ro
Novice
Novice

Post by z0ro »

Katze wrote:I still think there is a dirreference between putting coins on the keyboard (while watching tv), and having your fingers on the keyboard while reading.
I even got a suggestion to just unban Sharighan without any punishment.

There has been a similar case:

UberKalimero seemed to be botting many times. And I caught him twicee. But as he reacted within the given time limit, I could not ban him. And I have to admit I gave Uber at least one minute more than I gave Sharighan whom I didn't even tell when his time would be over.
So Sharighan reacted withing the time limit I had given UberKalimero...
And I never had a case in which somebody came online ot once after having been banned. So in that sense it was just.

But should I ever again catch him, he will be getting a full reset without discussion. And considering what I told him yesterday, I should also reset his stats if he was going to harass others ever again. You could call that suspension of sentence on probation.

Katze
I believe you had this kind of discussion here before on other thread, not looking at the monitor and the guy is still attacking is AFK gameplaying, even you said so. Now Sharighan was not looking at the monitor, obviously. So he was "technically" attacking while AFK and should be treated like a real botter.
Katze
Knight
Knight

Post by Katze »

1. case - UberKalimero:

-10 Sek : Someone whispers to me something like: "Uber is botting"
0 Sek: I am where Uber seems to be botting.
15 Sek: I talk to the person who whispered to me
1 Min: I warn Uber.
1,5 Min: I tell Uber that he would have something like two more minutes left
2 Min: Talking to the other person
5 About to type I would ban Uber now -> Uber is running

Outcome: no ban! - he reacted within the given time limit

2. case - Sharighan:

-10 Sek: I get called "something about Sharighan"
0 Sek - 2,5 Minutes: See screenshot
3 Min: I warp back to Hurnscald, where Sharighan already is online as MuleSha!!

Punishment: Level reset from 77 (80%) to 55 (0%) and ban for one day!
Attachments
Sharighan.png
Sharighan.png (209.99 KiB) Viewed 2076 times
z0ro
Novice
Novice

Post by z0ro »

Katze wrote:1. case - UberKalimero:

-10 Sek : Someone whispers to me something like: "Uber is botting"
0 Sek: I am where Uber seems to be botting.
15 Sek: I talk to the person who whispered to me
1 Min: I warn Uber.
1,5 Min: I tell Uber that he would have something like two more minutes left
2 Min: Talking to the other person
5 About to type I would ban Uber now -> Uber is running

Outcome: no ban!

2. case - Sharighan:

-10 Sek: I get called "something about Sharighan"
0 Sek - 2,5 Minutes: See screenshot
3 Min: I warp back to Hurnscald, where Sharighan already is online as MuleSha!!

Punishment: Level reset from 77 (80%) to 55 (0%) and ban for one day!
5 minutes? You really should ban Uber because it was obviously he was botting, same with Sharighan, seeing on the screenshot he was attacking and not picking up any drops and not answering you back, botting. Both should be banned/reset
Arilious
Novice
Novice

Post by Arilious »

As much as I love Katze, this sounds like an inconsistency on her part.

Please be more consistent with how you determine rule breakers, or more discussions like this will ultimately pop up.
ve3txz
Peon
Peon

Post by ve3txz »

Would it not be better to put in a timer, if a player attacking with out moving for more than say 5 minutes has attack disabled uitill they move :?:
rather than Katze having to babysit players that should know better??
this would eliminate the need and allow everyone to go back to enjoying this great game.
:)

ve3txz ( Aodhan )
Katze
Knight
Knight

Post by Katze »

ve3txz wrote:Would it not be better to put in a timer, if a player attacking with out moving for more than say 5 minutes has attack disabled uitill they move :?:
rather than Katze having to babysit players that should know better??
this would eliminate the need and allow everyone to go back to enjoying this great game.
:)

ve3txz ( Aodhan )

It's a bit more complicated than that, believe me. ;)
You may stand on one spot attacking monsters as long as you want if you can still answer to at least a GM with a movement, smiley, or "hi"...whatever...

Arilious wrote: Please be more consistent with how you determine rule breakers, or more discussions like this will ultimately pop up.
What kind of consistency would you suggest then? Banning both? or just don't punish Sharinghan? Or: "banned is banned and not banned is not banned", no matter what?
MasterKenobi
Warrior
Warrior

Post by MasterKenobi »

I think Katze acted appropriately and I trust her judgment. She has gone out of her way to explain her actions and that's enough for me.

MK

Reminder: The Court House is not a discussion forum.
Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.
Katze
Knight
Knight

Post by Katze »

z0ro wrote: 5 minutes? You really should ban Uber because it was obviously he was botting, same with Sharighan, seeing on the screenshot he was attacking and not picking up any drops and not answering you back, botting. Both should be banned/reset

There should be a reason why GMs set time limits. We cannot set those limits and then say to someone who reacts within that limit that he will be banned anyway!
And it was not fair to Sharighan compared to other cases, that I didn't set a time limit for him, bacause he reactet immediately when banned.
If a player doesn't react at all or only after more than 5 minutes after the ban, there is surely no need to talk about whether he should have been warned or not.

This case is different.
Katze
Knight
Knight

Post by Katze »

Thanks, MK!

This topic will be closed now.