Suggested: Skill Tree and more classes

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

brightJoker
Peon
Peon

Suggested: Skill Tree and more classes

Post by brightJoker »

I would like to see work on the skill tree and classes. Adding techniques such as a Double Strike, Slash, Fire Sword, etc for melee and then Quickstrike, Fire/Ice Bow, Doubleshot, etc for range. Some other classes: Sorcerer/Witch/Wizard/Mage/etc. We have an MP bar, why not use it? Also high classes such as Marksman, Knight, Crusader, Warlord, etc. Possible Super Classes?!? Just an idea to spice up the game a bit more, love it so far! Keep up the great work!
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Re: Suggested: Skill Tree and more classes

Post by Jaxad0127 »

brightJoker wrote:I would like to see work on the skill tree and classes. Adding techniques such as a Double Strike, Slash, Fire Sword, etc for melee and then Quickstrike, Fire/Ice Bow, Doubleshot, etc for range.
It's being looked into.
brightJoker wrote:Some other classes: Sorcerer/Witch/Wizard/Mage/etc. We have an MP bar, why not use it?
We want to avoid a class-based system. We're finishing up the details of the magic system and should have it in public beta soon.
brightJoker wrote:Also high classes such as Marksman, Knight, Crusader, Warlord, etc. Possible Super Classes?!?
Once again (just to make sure everyone knows): no classes!
brightJoker
Peon
Peon

Post by brightJoker »

May I ask why no classes?
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

A classless system allows more room for customization and creative character builds.

Instead of restricting specific abilities to classes we just give every ability to everyone and make the character attributes decide which abilities make sense to use.

You *could* cast magic with a strength-based character, and you *could* attack with a sword with an intelligence-based character, but you won't be very effective. So the attribute distribution will feel like a class system, but still allow you to try experimental hybrid builds.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
JoshLangley
Peon
Peon

Post by JoshLangley »

A good idea would be the game to use analytics to determine what you use more of and offer a recommendation based on the users actions.
kind regards,
Josh Langley.

http://www.myspace.com/Langerz
Kardas
Peon
Peon

Post by Kardas »

Crush wrote:A classless system allows more room for customization and creative character builds.

Instead of restricting specific abilities to classes we just give every ability to everyone and make the character attributes decide which abilities make sense to use.

You *could* cast magic with a strength-based character, and you *could* attack with a sword with an intelligence-based character, but you won't be very effective. So the attribute distribution will feel like a class system, but still allow you to try experimental hybrid builds.
Static or "fixed" class systems can be very hindering, but what about a flexible class system like that used in parts of the Final Fantasy series (5, tactics, 10-2, war of the lions)? The basic class can use any skill already learned, but can't learn new skills. There are a handful of entry level classes (cadet, apprentice, etc.) each class has a set of skills that can be learned and transferred to other classes. The higher-up classes have requirements, IE knight needs a certain number of cadet skills, wizard needs a certain number of apprentice skills, learning enough wizard and knight skills unlocks the sorcerer which is good at combat and magic.

That's just my two cents :)
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Kardas wrote:
Crush wrote:A classless system allows more room for customization and creative character builds.

Static or "fixed" class systems can be very hindering, but what about a flexible class system like that used in parts of the Final Fantasy series (5, tactics, 10-2, war of the lions)? The basic class can use any skill already learned, but can't learn new skills. There are a handful of entry level classes (cadet, apprentice, etc.) each class has a set of skills that can be learned and transferred to other classes. The higher-up classes have requirements, IE knight needs a certain number of cadet skills, wizard needs a certain number of apprentice skills, learning enough wizard and knight skills unlocks the sorcerer which is good at combat and magic.

That's just my two cents :)
We're doing something even more flexible. Just skills that are leveled as they are used. Maintaining multiple skills is difficult because you can and do forget old skills. So your character specializes based on how you play them. And you can change that specialization too.
Kardas
Peon
Peon

Post by Kardas »

jaxad0127 wrote: We're doing something even more flexible. Just skills that are leveled as they are used. Maintaining multiple skills is difficult because you can and do forget old skills. So your character specializes based on how you play them. And you can change that specialization too.
Ah I see.
Interesting :)