TMWServ @run script command

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

TMWServ @run script command

Post by Crush »

While I recently worked on the TMWServ command handler I thought about what kind of additional commands would be useful. One thing that came to mind was that it would be very useful for events when a gm or administrator could run lua script files using an admin command like @run monsterinvasion.lua.

Of course not every script should be executable in this way and not everyone should be allowed to run every script. That's why I would suggest to limit command-triggered script execution to scripts which are in special folders. I would suggest to create a folder for every access level and search there for command-runable scripts to control who can run which scripts.

What do you think about this?
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Turmfalke
Manasource
Manasource

Re: TMWServ @run script command

Post by Turmfalke »

sounds reasonable, but I guess you don't have the time to implement it?
I stand beside the holy man
The monarchs fear my wrath
None may move the way I can
Ever the crooked path
a knight
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

I currently have the time and motivation to implement this.
  • NOT a game master

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

I say go for it. This would be a nice system to have for events. We might even add some that normal players can do too, with fun effects that don't really do anything.
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

Also nice for in-game parsers of server-side data. For example cashflow reports of potential player run businesses.
This message used to be meaningful.
5t3v3
Warrior
Warrior

Post by 5t3v3 »

In the future, another use for this could be a guildleader that uses such commands. For example to declare war against another guild, making each other pvp-able or whatever. Just thinking out loud...
In game characters: "5t3v3" and "L "
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

I consider it quite unlikely that we will ever have lua scripts evokable by normal players on the official server. Any feature which could be implemented this way could also be implemented with a more straight-forward chat command (@pvpon vs. @run pvpon.lua) or even a graphical user interface. But I could imagine some applications for private server admins who want to implement some unique features but don't have the means to hack the client and server on the c++ level.
  • NOT a game master

Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

This functionality may also be useful for scripts to use because of the different context it would run under.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

jaxad0127 wrote:This functionality may also be useful for scripts to use because of the different context it would run under.
What exactly do you mean with that?
  • NOT a game master

Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Crush wrote:
jaxad0127 wrote:This functionality may also be useful for scripts to use because of the different context it would run under.
What exactly do you mean with that?
I'll have to see how this gets implemented.