TMW Time

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

TMW Time

Post by Modanung »

I started a seperate thread for discussing a time system. This discussion started in this thread.
Dr Wahl wrote:the time idea i think is good. many games have had time in them lately such as Grand Theft Auto, Animal Crossing, and my personal favorite, Zelda. maybe we could look to these games to get some ideas, see what we might run into, and how to work around things. because of the mmo setting, the time might need some special tweaks, but we'll see.... :)
What kind of tweaking do you mean? Because people live all over the world?
I think making an in-game hour last 20 minutes is enough. With ten hours for one in-game day it would last three hours and twenty minutes. 24/3.33=7.2 meaning there would be 7.2 in-game days in a reallife day, this causes a shift every day of twelve reallife minutes and a entire cycle of 5 days. All this causes the in-game time and reallife time to pass insynchronised... meaning no disadvantages for anyone around the world.
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io
Dr Wahl
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Dr Wahl »

nothing was really meant by "needing to tweak something". just didnt want to assume that all would be correct right off the bat... i think that maybe 7 TMW days per 1 real world might be a little much... maybe 5 TMW days = 1 real world day? i like the idea of having to wait until such and such happens. now we dont want to make it painful, but rather make it more of something that makes it feel like a challenge. for example:
in Animal Crossing, you get presents from vilegars on your birthday. now having to wait 365 real world days is a bit long for that, so players would just set the clock on the nintendo. this is similar to a sale that would be announced for the next day. but now, if you just make waiting for the next day only a couple hours away, i dont think that will deter players from waiting, but at the same time, when the event comes around, it feels like they have accomplished something.
lemme know what you think :) i am always open to people showing me better ways.
yosuhara
Knight
Knight

Post by yosuhara »

next possibility how to use TMW own time are time dependent monsters... Monsters which can be seen (and slayed :) ) only in "morning" or "night" , which i think would work better with less than 7 days per 1 real day , i assume 4 or 5 TMW days per 1 real.
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

Dr Wahl, I think with an avarage playing session at least one day should pass. And most people don't play games for five hours straight. That's from 20:00-1:00! I think 7 TMW days in one real day is about right, if not too few.
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io
Dr Wahl
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Dr Wahl »

ya... that is kinda what i have been thinking about since my post.... not sure... all my friends and i sit and play for about 3-4 hours (plus 30 here and there) so i have a bit of a skewed view on things.... maybe we should do a poll....
knivey
Novice
Novice

Post by knivey »

lol sounds like a metric time system

are you going to try to sync things like characters movement speed with the time so like walking 10 kilometers in game wouldn't take a whole week?
All your base are belong to us.
Dr Wahl
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Dr Wahl »

when i think about time in games, i dont really find it too benificial to sync time/distance. i think that time really just gives u the ability to use the same map/characters and do many more things with them.
Bear
Warrior
Warrior

Game Time

Post by Bear »

Altho making a Game Time system would make the game a little more unique.
It isnt going to be used very much unless for OFFICIAL events... Like its said above... Time Zones
Habari
Novice
Novice

Re: TMW Time

Post by Habari »

I think we should have 8 TMW days each 24 real hours , that way a day would be 3 hours:
one hour of morning , one of afternoon and one of dark night .
Waiting less than 3 hours to see the night isnt much a
JoshLangley
Peon
Peon

Post by JoshLangley »

I'm gonna go with every 2 hours. 1.2 Hours day, 40 mins night (cause too much night is sleepy and depressing). Who says it has to follow anywhere near earth time?
Remember that you want to appeal to the casual gamers too who are very unlikely to put in 3 hours of there time, u would be lucky to get 1 hour of there time. this game isn't exactly feature rich remember. ;)
kind regards,
Josh Langley.

http://www.myspace.com/Langerz
zick
Novice
Novice

Post by zick »

not to beat a dead horse or anything, but i think the number of days per week, hours per day, days per month, etc. should be some kind of option of the server's config file (or something easily altered with a hex editor on the server program, or header file that can be quickly altered before compiling the server program). i think it's always a good idea when working on an open source initiative to allow the end user to easily play around with as much stuff as possible in order to sort-of make it his own, even if it really isn't.