Item Mall

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

rok2ic
Peon
Peon

Item Mall

Post by rok2ic »

You could create an item mall.

I'm the kind of guy who have a very very little time to play, and I usually compensate that by buying some "cash" and get some gold or items.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: Item Mall

Post by Crush »

I am against an item mall. I believe that everyone should have the same chance to be successful. Noone should be able to "buy" success. When we ever need money desperately I would rather take monthly subscription fees.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Platyna
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Platyna »

I have joined this project because I was promised by project admins that items and stats will never be sold for IRL money.

Regards.
rok2ic
Peon
Peon

Post by rok2ic »

Crush wrote:I am against an item mall. I believe that everyone should have the same chance to be successful. Noone should be able to "buy" success. When we ever need money desperately I would rather take monthly subscription fees.
Crush,

When you say "same chance", you forget that there is some people, like me, who have around 30-40 minutes a day, sometimes per week, to play your game. So the item mall is that chance for me, if i want to invest my time in this game, in front of lots of players who just have all the time they want to play.

It's not a matter to buy sucess. It's a matter of how life really is. Some people have time, some people have money, some people have both, some people have none.

I cannot see a reason to pay a monthly fee in your game, when I have a very large number of mmorpgs a lot more evolved where I can subscribe, if I want. :wink:

So It's not a matter of you needing money, it's a matter of me enjoying playing.
rok2ic
Peon
Peon

Post by rok2ic »

Platyna wrote:I have joined this project because I was promised by project admins that items and stats will never be sold for IRL money.

Regards.
Platyna,

I understand that you might be frustrated with bad past experiences.

But, i'm sorry if I disagree with you. 8)

I mean, if you think that others games are that so mercenary for money that breaks the balancing of the game with item malls and special items, so don't do that.

Anyway, it's an interesting game. :wink:
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

It's not like being unable to invest a lot of time changes your game experience. It rather stretches your game experience over a longer real-life timeframe.

In my experience the low level gameplay of mmorpgs is usually the most fun and tmw is IMO not an exception. You are not really missing out on a lot by not being able to reach a high level in a few weeks.
  • NOT a game master

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

AFAIK anyone is free to take our software and provide such a service on their own server.

The stand of our team has been against such methods of profit on our server.
This message used to be meaningful.
rok2ic
Peon
Peon

Post by rok2ic »

Crush wrote: In my experience the low level gameplay of mmorpgs is usually the most fun and tmw is IMO not an exception. You are not really missing out on a lot by not being able to reach a high level in a few weeks.
Crush,

Well... I agree with that.

Regards
rok2ic
Peon
Peon

Post by rok2ic »

Rotonen wrote:AFAIK anyone is free to take our software and provide such a service on their own server.

The stand of our team has been against such methods of profit on our server.

Again, i'm not talking about you getting money, i was talking about me enjoying more the game.

No problem, I got your message.
Platyna
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Platyna »

I am not separated in my statement here. A lot of people before joining asked for the same thing and were promised the same thing. I think if some artist or programmer would like to work for a commercial project they would find some suitable one.

This is a free game - where a person of IRL income of $5000/day and a person of income of 5$/day can reach the same levels and glory - this is what is beautiful in such projects and makes people to contribute.

Regards.
5t3v3
Warrior
Warrior

Post by 5t3v3 »

Platyna wrote:This is a free game - where a person of IRL income of $5000/day and a person of income of 5$/day can reach the same levels and glory - this is what is beautiful in such projects and makes people to contribute.
Well, at least if he can find an immensely cheap ISP :lol:
In game characters: "5t3v3" and "L "
JoshLangley
Peon
Peon

Post by JoshLangley »

I'm all for virtual items, as long as they are well balanced.

What's to stop players from just paying a power levelling service to grind for them to attain higher levels and status? The only difference is that he will be giving away the money to a third-party service instead of that money that have could have gone back into the server.

I think virtual items that can help the pay for the server/bandwidth (maybe even content that we r short on) is a good idea. If people are willing to give some money for a bit of bonuses then what's the big deal, it will boost the project along.
kind regards,
Josh Langley.

http://www.myspace.com/Langerz
EJlol
TMW Furniture
TMW Furniture

Post by EJlol »

If there is gonna be a shop that sells the items I drawed for real life money, I would not contribute anymore. I drawed those graphics for free, and if someone else (be it they one who owns the server, or some kind of third party) makes a profit of it, thats just sad :(

Im still thinking about releasing some graphics under a different license than GPL, that does not allow to make profit of it.
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

EJlol wrote:Im still thinking about releasing some graphics under a different license than GPL, that does not allow to make profit of it.
Then we couldn't use them.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Summary: The majority of the development team is strictly against any premium items on the official server and thus it is very unlikely to happen in the forseeable future.

But: The GNU General Public License does permit commercial usage. So there is nothing which stops anyone from creating his own server and charge people for playing on it or to sell benefits to players.

On the other hand: This server would still have to compete with the official server where everything is for free. So it would have to offer very good support, reliability and administration so that people have a reason to play on it.

But No. 2: When this server offers such a good support, performance and administration, wouldn't this be an added value the owner deserves to get paid for?
  • NOT a game master