Any chance of a "3D" version?

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Ghost
Peon
Peon

Post by Ghost »

Jormungand wrote:I really think you guys should just add new items to the game. What keeps it original is its 2D format Changing it would be bad because most people like to play oldschool games. Instead of concentrating on wether you should go 3D or 2D. I say stick to 2D for now and then worry about 3D when the project is good to go.
I agree. Take it one step at a time.
Bjørn
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bjørn »

Heh I think it's pretty clear now that pretty much everybody wants to stick to 2D, including the current developers.
Ghost
Peon
Peon

Post by Ghost »

Bjørn wrote:Heh I think it's pretty clear now that pretty much everybody wants to stick to 2D, including the current developers.
2D is better for most indeed.
Jormungand
Peon
Peon

Post by Jormungand »

Ghost wrote:
Bjørn wrote:Heh I think it's pretty clear now that pretty much everybody wants to stick to 2D, including the current developers.
2D is better for most indeed.

I like the originality of 2D game than going with a 3d game. :)
Whist
Peon
Peon

Post by Whist »

I don't know very much about graphic programming n such, and how tough this is, but when you get the new server, would it be possible to drop the cells for character movement? and just have a circle around the characters feet that you cannot walk through?
Bjørn
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bjørn »

Whist wrote:I don't know very much about graphic programming n such, and how tough this is, but when you get the new server, would it be possible to drop the cells for character movement? and just have a circle around the characters feet that you cannot walk through?
This probably belongs to the possibilities and it's an idea that's already been floating around.
Kyokai
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Kyokai »

Once we have our own server, we are planning on implementing free, or psuedo-free walking, so you won't be tile-bound anymore. This really just depends on how much server power we are going to have.
The Mana World System Coordinator.
View the Systems
So what does the systems coordinator actually do? My job is to take your ideas for TMW and build them into working aspects of gameplay that can be implemented by the artists and programmers. If there's anything you think we can do better or differently, let me know.
Bear
Warrior
Warrior

re

Post by Bear »

by creating a 3d client, you need to take in consideration of camera angles, because 2-d clients cannot see the back of some things while 3-d can...
Akyla
Peon
Peon

Post by Akyla »

2D all the way.

There's tons of 3D RPG clones. You can always join that race cos there will always be enough room for just one more.

Anyway I thought this was based around Secret of Mana? I haven't seen anything SoMish yet.
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Post by ElvenProgrammer »

That was the base idea, we're moving onto creating an innovative game with the same good old look
gene
Peon
Peon

Post by gene »

Besides, what's the point of creating 3D objects for a 2D game?
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

I have a vision of using 3D rendered and then pixellated (and GIMPed) effects for magic, but we'll get back to that when the time comes.. ;)
Demon
Peon
Peon

Post by Demon »

Well, there should be no need to create in 3d then pixelate, when it is easier to just pixelate.
Server Character - Last Update 6/9/05
Alias: Genju
Level: 26
Stats: 21/12/20/11/10/11
Clan: Dark Lotus Knights Clan
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

Spell animations (for instance) could be done in 3D first and then pixelated. This makes solid animation easier. But I don't think we need 3D CG for anythink else.
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io
Bjørn
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bjørn »

I think magic effects would mostly consists of particles, particles can be amazingly flexible in creating many kinds of effects.