[WIP] Fairy

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

Fother
Warrior
Warrior

[WIP] Fairy

Post by Fother »

The idea is that this monster would be "hostile", but it's "attacks" would heal the player (or restore mp or possible other stat reduction restores if that' possible, or for tmwserv)...

Here's the sprite set:
4 differently colored fairies, for different uses
4 differently colored fairies, for different uses
monster-fairy.png (21.14 KiB) Viewed 3966 times
Here's a spin around example of it's movements:
fairy-spin-around-example.gif
fairy-spin-around-example.gif (7.91 KiB) Viewed 3963 times
Here's it is over grass:
fairy-spin-around-example-g.gif
fairy-spin-around-example-g.gif (35.86 KiB) Viewed 3965 times
These little critters wouldn't conceivably be in common open areas, but deep in a forest or in unexpected rooms, naturally. I didn't include a shadow or a under glow since it could shed a small ambient amount of dust with the particle engine that'd conflict with a shadow of make a particle dust look blurry. I'd also like to see some other tries at this (so if you don't like the way it looks, please create and post your concept or make the necessary changes to this sprite set and repost it here! :wink:)
"Fother" Jarrett Huxley
Evil Pixel Artist
Wiki Page | Trello | Google+ Profile
EJlol
TMW Furniture
TMW Furniture

Re: [WIP] Fairy

Post by EJlol »

why not a recolourable version?
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Can you maybe fit a bit detail in the hair?
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Turmfalke
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Turmfalke »

Wow! some times it really looks like you have to much time, but I am glad we have you here. With the new woodlands trees one of the my first ideas was that perhaps this could be a place where fairys might life. Now I look here and see after your great skeleton that you already made them. In my mind I thought more about small lights moving from a tree to the next where they would just disappear until they decide to fly again to the next. But back to your idea, how long should a fairy heal the player? for ever? or a way supposed to disappear after they healed the player?
I stand beside the holy man
The monarchs fear my wrath
None may move the way I can
Ever the crooked path
a knight
yosuhara
Knight
Knight

Post by yosuhara »

Turmfalke wrote:Wow! some times it really looks like you have to much time, but I am glad we have you here. With the new woodlands trees one of the my first ideas was that perhaps this could be a place where fairys might life. Now I look here and see after your great skeleton that you already made them. In my mind I thought more about small lights moving from a tree to the next where they would just disappear until they decide to fly again to the next. But back to your idea, how long should a fairy heal the player? for ever? or a way supposed to disappear after they healed the player?
omg let's stay out of the "enchanted fairy forest" idea for god's sake... nice fairy though :)
Turmfalke
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Turmfalke »

why? do you fear there might be unicorns too?
I stand beside the holy man
The monarchs fear my wrath
None may move the way I can
Ever the crooked path
a knight
Fother
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Fother »

EJlol wrote:why not a recolourable version?
I was going to, but I used a wide pallet (which can tone down to less than 128 colors, but still), and since the wings are semi transparent and on a separate layer from the torso, it makes it very difficult to keep whatever resulting blend comes out to be dyeable. If I flattened the wings into the torso, it would make changes very difficult. I also evaluated if the trouble of dyeability would be worth the few (if any) amount of differently colored fairies that would actually be used.
Crush wrote:Can you maybe fit a bit detail in the hair?
Here's the hair with a little more body
Crush, here's a slight change in the hair... not much i can do with so few pixels. :(
Crush, here's a slight change in the hair... not much i can do with so few pixels. :(
fairydust-newhair.gif (6.1 KiB) Viewed 3775 times
I tried adding more dark or defining changes to the hair, but it made the whole thing seem to blend into the ground a little too much (dunno why). I also tried making a slightly larger fairy as a test,
Here's a test with a larger torso, using the traditional chubby fairy look you'd see for bottled fairies in   the LoZ series.
Here's a test with a larger torso, using the traditional chubby fairy look you'd see for bottled fairies in the LoZ series.
fairydust-larger.gif (6.11 KiB) Viewed 3776 times
but I don't care for this version (fairies should be itty-bitty small IMHO).
Turmfalke wrote:Wow! some times it really looks like you have to much time, but I am glad we have you here.
Thank you 8) ! I'm glad to be helping out! I like you all! I'm turning 26 on thursday, but I've had a stroke a while back which has made me have a compulsion to create any little idea that pops in my head. They're coming to take me away hay hay!
Weeeeee!!! LOL. :cry: Well... there goes my mind.
Turmfalke wrote:With the new woodlands trees one of the my first ideas was that perhaps this could be a place where fairys might life. Now I look here and see after your great skeleton that you already made them. In my mind I thought more about small lights moving from a tree to the next where they would just disappear until they decide to fly again to the next. But back to your idea, how long should a fairy heal the player? for ever? or a way supposed to disappear after they healed the player?
I'm not quite sure... it's still theoretical that it could be done with eAthena (can anyone out there confirm negative hits [restoring hp] is possible?). It would say that if it were "hostile" and "attacked" the player by restoring hp, maybe restore it at 50hp/hit. If this is workable, these would need to be placed in hidden/secret areas or ledges where the players can't lead them back to areas where they could exploited to fight other monsters. I'd also suggest that one "heal attack" by the fairy also temporarily reduce a stat like tremendously (like a negative iron potion effect).
yosuhara wrote:omg let's stay out of the "enchanted fairy forest" idea for god's sake... nice fairy though :)
The inner whimsy of every female on the board just winced it's eyes in offense and re-equipped it's cat ears. You know you'd go mashing the fairy village if there were a wooden hammer weapon and player sprite animation for it, hehe. Thank you for the compliment :)
Turmfalke wrote:why? do you fear there might be unicorns too?
Ces would be beside himself!
ImageCes, if you read this... how about a unicorn sprite? :wink: unicorn horn drops that could be turned into a wearable ones! sweeeet!
Attachments
this was just a plain test, not intended to be used.. but was looking at alternates to use as a possible evil fairy or "pixie" or "winged gremlin".
this was just a plain test, not intended to be used.. but was looking at alternates to use as a possible evil fairy or "pixie" or "winged gremlin".
fairydust-gremlin-test_only.gif (6.03 KiB) Viewed 3774 times
"Fother" Jarrett Huxley
Evil Pixel Artist
Ces
Novice
Novice

Post by Ces »

Fother J wrote:Ces, if you read this... how about a unicorn sprite? :wink: unicorn horn drops that could be turned into a wearable ones! sweeeet!
:lol: Unicorns would be lovely, but so would gay skeletons of the pink variety or cactii monsters/hats.
igneus
Novice
Novice

Post by igneus »

I like the idea of healing attack. It actually means that if you forget to put down your warlord plate and crusader helmet, Fairy most probably won't be able to heal you!
main TMW character: nguma
Fother
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Fother »

Ces wrote::lol: Unicorns would be lovely, but so would gay skeletons of the pink variety or cactii monsters/hats.
Hmmm... Cactus monsters eh? I'll add that to the list! And i, if you're reading this, I got a little too heated on the usage of the word gay, and about pink skeletons, but here I am making fairy sprites, so I guess it's all in good clean fun :oops:! LOL, Once again I'm off topic and on a tangent.
igneus wrote:I like the idea of healing attack. It actually means that if you forget to put down your warlord plate and crusader helmet, Fairy most probably won't be able to heal you!
I didn't even think about that!
"Fother" Jarrett Huxley
Evil Pixel Artist