Using 0.0.28.1 with WINE

Ask for help regarding any technical issue or report any bug or OS independent issues.
pateame

Using 0.0.28.1 with WINE

Post by pateame »

We can run new versions of TMW client using Linux without compile anything. ¿how? :mrgreen:
Using WINE

Wine is a translation layer (a program loader) capable of running Windows applications on Linux and other POSIX compatible operating systems. Windows programs running in Wine act as native programs would, running without the performance or memory usage penalties of an emulator, with a similar look and feel to other applications on your desktop. If you wanna install Wine just copy that on console.

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install wine
For more information: http://winehq.org/

Once you install WINE, you can run the .EXE files of Window easy. So, we can run the Windows version installer of TMW under WINE and execute later the .exe application "tmw.exe" on our linux system.
Its more easy than do a virtual machine because you dont need to install the full windows system, wine just use Win API to run EXEs. Just Download the Windows Installer version, Install TMW on wine and later run the game!. There´s a screenshot of Wine running 0.0.28 version under Ubuntu.
http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/7164/labbx9.jpg

I hope this be useful, see ya!
Last edited by pateame on 25 Feb 2009, 04:36, edited 1 time in total.
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Re: Using 0.0.28 with WINE

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Yes, TMW works fine under Wine. I've used this method to test older clients.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Although TMW works fine on WINE it is supposed to run on Linux natively.

When some Linux users consider it more comfortable to get the self-extracting windows installers and run tmw using a compatibility layer instead of using the intended way to install software on their distribution it is clearly a sign that there is either something wrong with their packet management systems or our packaging.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Crush wrote:Although TMW works fine on WINE it is supposed to run on Linux natively.

When some Linux users consider it more comfortable to get the self-extracting windows installers and run tmw using a compatibility layer instead of using the intended way to install software on their distribution it is clearly a sign that there is either something wrong with their packet management systems or our packaging.
The problem is how long it can take for the package manager's repos to get the new version.
pateame

Post by pateame »

I just consider useful both versions. (win & linux)
In ubuntu the default TMW package is 0.0.24 version, and most of users just download what they can get in repos (sudo apt-get tmw). Not everybody has time to understand what a program is, how to compile it, what kind of libraries it will use... There´s no problems with compilations, there´s an excellent guide, the source is magnificent and works!
But not everybody "skill up" and compile it, they just wanna play.

(My english is terrible, sorry :oops: )
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

pateame wrote:I just consider useful both versions. (win & linux)
In ubuntu the default TMW package is 0.0.24 version, and most of users just download what they can get in repos (sudo apt-get tmw). Not everybody has time to understand what a program is, how to compile it, what kind of libraries it will use... There´s no problems with compilations, there´s an excellent guide, the source is magnificent and works!
But not everybody "skill up" and compile it, they just wanna play.

(My english is terrible, sorry :oops: )
0.0.24.1 is what 8.04 has available, yes. Newer Ubtuntus have newer client versions.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

I am just a stupid Windows user after all, but is there any technical reason why it is impossible to run the most recent tmw on outdated Ubuntu versions or is it just part of the policy of the Ubuntu online software repositories not to provide software updates unless you update the whole distribution?

Isn't it possible to provide an installer packet for Ubuntu which can be downloaded with a webbrowser and installed by clicking on it?
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Crush wrote:I am just a stupid Windows user after all, but is there any technical reason why it is impossible to run the most recent tmw on outdated Ubuntu versions or is it just part of the policy of the Ubuntu online software repositories not to provide software updates unless you update the whole distribution?

Isn't it possible to provide an installer packet for Ubuntu which can be downloaded with a webbrowser and installed by clicking on it?
Under Linux/etc, libraries are (for the vast part) shared by everyone. So all programs use the same SDL binaries, for example. THe problem is with Guichan. Ubuntu 8.04 has Guichan 0.7, while TMW 0.0.25 and above need Guichan 0.8.x. Normally, this wouldn't be a problem, as you can normally keep different versions of a library with each other. Until version 0.8.0, Guichan couldn't do that (it's only forward compatible). So, 8.04 is stuck with Guichan 0.7. Platyna made some insdtructs that get around that. I updated it to the Linux compilation article on the wiki. Kr0n05 also made a script based on it for older Ubuntus. All three methods put the newer Guichan in the user's home directory, out of the normal hierarchy that everything else is in.
Shaili (a.k.a. tds)
Novice
Novice

Post by Shaili (a.k.a. tds) »

There IS a way to install newer clients on Ubuntu without compiling.

Just download new packages from: http://packages.ubuntu.com/, searching for the latest release of the latest version of the distro. Download and install the .deb, it will work fine. If Ubuntu doesn't have the package yet, you can use Debian package without problem, since they are usually faster in upgrading repos: http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages . So do not worry about compiling on Linux, specially on Ubuntu.
Ingame I am: Shaili, Lv. 9X

Image Proud Italian TMW Player

Image You can find me on Last.fm
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Shaili (a.k.a. tds) wrote:There IS a way to install newer clients on Ubuntu without compiling.

Just download new packages from: http://packages.ubuntu.com/, searching for the latest release of the latest version of the distro. Download and install the .deb, it will work fine. If Ubuntu doesn't have the package yet, you can use Debian package without problem, since they are usually faster in upgrading repos: http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages . So do not worry about compiling on Linux, specially on Ubuntu.
You're still forgetting about the Guichan problem with 8.04.
Shaili (a.k.a. tds)
Novice
Novice

Nope: there are working packages also for guichan 0.8.1, they work also with 8.04.

http://packages.ubuntu.com/jaunty/libs/ ... an-0.8.1-1
http://packages.ubuntu.com/jaunty/libs/ ... dl-0.8.1-1

Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Shaili (a.k.a. tds) wrote:Nope: there are working packages also for guichan 0.8.1, they work also with 8.04.

http://packages.ubuntu.com/jaunty/libs/ ... an-0.8.1-1
http://packages.ubuntu.com/jaunty/libs/ ... dl-0.8.1-1
The problem is that other packages use guichan. You'd need to update all of them too. And anything that needs them, and so on.
Shaili (a.k.a. tds)
Novice
Novice

You can just synchronize the repo with new packages. All updates will come with synaptic. I didn't have this problem anyway. Don't forget that many people use guichan only for tmw ;)

Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Shaili (a.k.a. tds) wrote:You can just synchronize the repo with new packages. All updates will come with synaptic. I didn't have this problem anyway. Don't forget that many people use guichan only for tmw ;)
Some don't. And Ubuntu doesn't make this easy. This is one reason why I prefer rolling release.
Shaili (a.k.a. tds)
Novice
Novice

jaxad0127 wrote:
Shaili (a.k.a. tds) wrote:You can just synchronize the repo with new packages. All updates will come with synaptic. I didn't have this problem anyway. Don't forget that many people use guichan only for tmw ;)
Some don't. And Ubuntu doesn't make this easy. This is one reason why I prefer rolling release.
We are going OT ;)