Marriage Failure

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

kinwa
Novice
Novice

Re: Marriage Failure

Post by kinwa »

if you think, its not fair then, we could also abolish the marriage at all.
- or disposing the advantages.
Shaili (a.k.a. tds)
Novice
Novice

Post by Shaili (a.k.a. tds) »

kinwa wrote:if you think, its not fair then, we could also abolish the marriage at all.
- or disposing the advantages.
Why isn't fair? Marriage should be between two people. Not more. This topic is useless.
Ingame I am: Shaili, Lv. 9X

Image Proud Italian TMW Player

Image You can find me on Last.fm
kinwa
Novice
Novice

Post by kinwa »

come back with arguments.
Shaili (a.k.a. tds)
Novice
Novice

TMW was born in Europe. Polygamy isn't legal in Europe. Is it an argument?

kinwa
Novice
Novice

Post by kinwa »

nope.
Shaili (a.k.a. tds)
Novice
Novice

Maybe for you. I won't waste any post more in this. Developers will explain their reasons.

Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Shaili (a.k.a. tds) wrote:Maybe for you. I won't waste any post more in this. Developers will explain their reasons.
eAthena is a pain to extend. Discussion over. :wink: :P
kinwa
Novice
Novice

Post by kinwa »

yeah sounds reasonable, but what about the NEW SERVER?
Ces
Novice
Novice

Post by Ces »

Hm. I see several topics discussed as one here, for instance:

❖ Whether joining of more than two people is ethical/fun/lawful/possible.
❖ Whether it is possible to extend the current marriage system in TMWserv.
❖ Whether the current marriage system should be extended, and how it in such a case could be abused, and how that, in turn, could be prevented.

Well, this whole topic is more suited in Suggestions/Feedback, I think. With some talk belonging in Off Topic, and some arguments really should be thought through before being said.

For instance:

❖ In several cultures and communities polygamy is allowed.
❖ A difference may be made between say (1) a man having two wifes and (2) three people living together as spouses (and/or married, depending on law and semantics).

Well, gameplay wise, my personal opinion is this: If possible I would love to be able to be married to more than one person at the same time (not having a harem, or being a part of one ... though the latter sounds a bit intriguing!, but rather as three people being married to all each other). But at the same time I want it to be something special, that isn’t done just like that and broken off without regard, so if this would ever be implemented some safe guards might need to be put in place, either as restricting the marriages in some way (as now) or creating a system that reglates itself depending on how fun it is.

To turn the discussion the other way, one reason why I contribute to this game (albeit minuscually) is because I here have a chance to contribute with the things I love, it may not be accepted, well life goes on. And I would love to see more of things exactly like this one. That is things that challenge the “Western stereotype” of tiny waists, huge boobs/muscles, heterosexual two-ness, opposing gender duality, ...

I do not ask someone to change their opinions, thoughts and feelings, only to accept each and every individual. There’s a profane difference there.

In the end not everyone can be totally satisfied, and if TMW becomes an open ended sandbox game I think I will have lost interest a long time ago, even when I’m “preaching for openness” here. ;)

Just a silver goblet. ← Now, there’s an item TMW doesn’t have yet.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

There are different cultures in the world which have different views on the role of marriage.

Some cultures consider a marriage something which lasts a whole life while others allow you to get divorced after a few years and marry someone else.

In most cultures both partners have to agree to a marriage, but there are also cultures where people can be married although one or both of the partners don't want it (or rather they give their consent symbolically, but they are not allowed to say no).

Some consider it a bound between a man and a woman, while more liberal societies tolerate same sex marriage.

Some cultures allow men to marry multiple women, women to marry multiple men, or even polygam communitys with multiple men and women who are married to each other. Some allow this only with special restrictions, like exactly equal treatment of all marriage parteners.

Considering that we will have a lot of different cultures in TMW we could represent this by having different restrictions and requirements on marriage in the different cultures, but also different benefits. The different views on marriage would mean that a marriage made in one culture is not (necessarily) recognized by the others.

Examples:
-Society A believes in strong families and thus only allow married same-sex couples to own property and does not allow divorces.
-Society B believes in free love and allows people to marry as many people of any gender as they like without much hassle, but you have few benefits from it. Divorces are equally painless.
-Society C believes in true love and gives some magical benefits to married couples, but to get married the couple has to pass various "tests of love" and you can only be married to one person at a time. Divorces are frowned upon but possible.
-Society D believes in ruling of the strongest and male superiority. Men can "own" as many women as they are able to. You can force-marry a single woman when you defeat her in PvP combat or an already wed woman when you beat her husband. A man can get divorced from his women at any time. A woman can get divorced by defeating her own husband or when her husband is defeated by another man who force-marries her.
-Society E is an amazon culture with the same rules as culture D, but with genders reversed.
Last edited by Crush on 18 Feb 2009, 22:06, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: typo
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
kinwa
Novice
Novice

Post by kinwa »

hey, thats some nice ideas, crush, that would make the game more various and good for different moralities;
furthermore, i would perhaps add a culture, where marriage is unknown at all.

thanks for the last 2 posts, finally theres some content in this discussion.

ps: this thread could, in fact, be moved to the section "suggestions" (the topic name may be changed)
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

All this can wait for TMWServ (which I don't think has marriage at the moment anyways). I won't add it to eA, as it would make it even more fragile than it already is.
zick
Novice
Novice

Post by zick »

Crush wrote:... real marriages of love
Huh? Real love? I've never met the person I married in game in real life, so how can I love them? We're just blurring the lines a little too much that separate a fun game that I play online occasionally and then turn off and go back to my real life. Seriously!?

To fix this problem I again mention that development should be as open-ended as possible, like a config file (or a single file in the source code that can edited just before compiling) that determines how marriage is handled. Can you marry interracially? Can dudes marry dudes, and girls marry girls? How many spouses? ETC ... These should be simple true/false options (variables). If you don't like the rules, change 'em and compile your own server. The people who are writing the story of TMW have the right to make whatever rules they want. 'Nuf said.

Marriage should also be like forming a party or a guild, only have different advantages/disadvantages so as to not allow for uber-groups of any kind. Maybe the same config file (source code file) should handle marriage, partying, and guilds all in one logical place and have all the options (switches) be easily accessible.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

When we implement marriage in TMWServ it will be mostly script-controlled anyway.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
zick
Novice
Novice

Post by zick »

Question: Would compiling something like this into the server be faster as opposed to if it were script based? I am asking not to be a jerk but because I don't know. I remember from my Java classes in school that the teacher said since Java was an interpreted programming language (script) that it was slower than C++ which was pure machine language.