[Prop] Tile interactions layer

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Fother
Warrior
Warrior

[Prop] Tile interactions layer

Post by Fother »

Disclaimer: I have not played with Tiled too much, or properly researched this before posting, so it's likely there's some implemented function in tiled or in the game that I'm not aware of, so apologies in advance!

My proposal is for use of an interactions layer that would be used to define tile properties. This could well be some further use of the collision layer but with different identifying tiles. Basically the layer would identify if a water tile is a water surface, if wood surface is a wood surface, stone stone, or if the ground is diggable, or if something is an anchor point for some future grappling item's use.
sheet
sheet
collision.png (1.93 KiB) Viewed 1738 times
Here's the surfaces that are on the top of my head that might be best to define:
  • grappling (non-passable tile that's used as an anchor point for a grappling item) {frame 2}
  • Hazard (passable layers that inflict damage) {frames 3-5}
    • -1 hp per second (poison gas, shallow poison liquid, acid) {frame 3}
    • -50 hp per second (fire damage, spikes or traps) {frame 4}
    • -100 hp per second (lava or other deadly applications) {frame 5} (
  • Water/Liquid
    • Shallow (walkable, with a splashy particle effect) {frame 6}
    • Deep (only transversable when certain water walking spells or a certain status item is equipped in future development) {frame 7}
  • Solid / Non digable (mainly used for walking sound effects, or other possible effects) {frames 9,10}
    • Hollow (wood/docks, could possibly use a wood floor faint sound effect) {frame 9}
    • hard (stone/cement/brick/rock) {frame 10}
  • Soft / digable (for a shovel tool for looking for items) {frame 12}
Provided I'm not way off on any necessity for this (or there's not already something in place that does this), I'm sure there would be some other interaction frames that would be needed.
Attachments
test since these don't show up very well without something underneath
test since these don't show up very well without something underneath
collision-example-nouse.gif (1.52 KiB) Viewed 1739 times
"Fother" Jarrett Huxley
Evil Pixel Artist
Wiki Page | Trello | Google+ Profile
Ces
Novice
Novice

Re: [Prop] Tile interactions layer

Post by Ces »

Interesting. :) You may also look at Improvement of the collision layer system which talk about somewhat similar things (in case you haven’t seen already).
5t3v3
Warrior
Warrior

Post by 5t3v3 »

I like this idea, but there's still a problem with using tiles and/or collision layer. Namely, we would either have to use a lot of layers, or we would have a lot of restrictions if we want to combine several of these tiles at the same area. So perhaps rather then using tiles, it might be better to simply list coordinates or domains for certain functions.
In game characters: "5t3v3" and "L "
veka
Peon
Peon

Post by veka »

I do not understand any ( i don't speak english )

but I like the idea !
5t3v3
Warrior
Warrior

Post by 5t3v3 »

Just out of curiosity, which of the ideas that you don't understand do you like? :p
In game characters: "5t3v3" and "L "
veka
Peon
Peon

Post by veka »

I like the idea of having area that hurts the players.

I like the idea of having an effect when a player goes in the water.

But I do not understand anything else in the text :oops:
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Tiled can also define rectangular map areas with an arbitary amount of key/value property pairs. TMWServ can read these areas. It already does for map warps and monster spawns. For things like hazards, which appear rarely but can have a lot of options, areas are a much better approach because they allow customisation of amount of damage, damage element, frequency of hits etc. without using a ton of different interaction tiles.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Crush wrote:Tiled can also define rectangular map areas with an arbitary amount of key/value property pairs. TMWServ can read these areas. It already does for map warps and monster spawns. For things like hazards, which appear rarely but can have a lot of options, areas are a much better approach because they allow customisation of amount of damage, damage element, frequency of hits etc. without using a ton of different interaction tiles.
But that isn't as usable for more spatially complicated things, like water. So expansion of the collision map for the more detailed (and tile-specific functions) might be wanted. The walkable/unwalkable water tiles would be useful. The hook points might be too. As well as ones for things like ice (slippery) and "mud" (slow walking), as these can get spatially complicated too.