Engine Performance Questions

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Seradest
Novice
Novice

Engine Performance Questions

Post by Seradest »

1.Can using the Engine Multicores right ?
2.Has the engine a P4P Recorces Systems that share Graphical Data in game that can see 2 or more User that are play ?
3.Has the engine any options to load all Graphical Data in the User PC Ram to not loding any Graphic in game ?
4.Use the Particle System only OpenGL ?
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Re: Engine Performance Questions

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Seradest wrote:1.Can using the Engine Multicores right ?
If you mean the client, no, it only has one thread. Both servers can.
Seradest wrote:2.Has the engine a P4P Recorces Systems that share Graphical Data in game that can see 2 or more User that are play ?
What?
Seradest wrote:3.Has the engine any options to load all Graphical Data in the User PC Ram to not loding any Graphic in game ?
Could be added.
Seradest wrote:4.Use the Particle System only OpenGL ?
No.
Seradest
Novice
Novice

Post by Seradest »

Seradest wrote:2.Has the engine a P4P Recorces Systems that share Graphical Data in game that can see 2 or more User that are play ?
What?

Ah sorry i wright it wrong.

Has the engine a System that load Graphics faster with P2P Client to Client sharing ?
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

No. And currently I think the centralized http server concept is more than viable. When TMW gets bigger by several orders of magnitude, both user- and contentwise, we might reach a point where it becomes insufficient to provide the content with a single webserver. Then we might opt to distribute updates using the bit torrent protocol or something similar. But this is not going to happen in the near future.

Regarding the particle engine and OpenGL: The particle engine works both in software and hardware mode. The only limitation in software mode is that alpha properties of particles have no effect.

Regarding multicore support for the client: Every commercial desktop multicore processor is more than fast enough to run the tmw client on only one core. Optimizing it for using multiple cores would be a waste of time as the user wouldn't notice the difference anyway. Optimization of the client should be concentrated on changes which are most beneficial for users of low end systems.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.