Messages without dialogue boxes

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

feline monstrosity
Warrior
Warrior

Messages without dialogue boxes

Post by feline monstrosity »

I was just playing WoW at my friend's house and I realised a feature we could have to replace those irritating dialogues every time something happens. WoW frequently has messages like "you can't do that while moving or something" that just pop up as text in the middle of the screen before fading away and I thought "why can't TMW have that?". For instance when grinding in the skull room you can accidentally walk into the north cave and a dialogue pops up saying something like "A magical barrier pushes you away" and you have to waste precious seconds clicking the ok button during which you are completely vulnerable to attack. This would be much better if it just popped up as text in the middle of the screen which faded after a few seconds.
~Feline Monstrosity
Goku
Knight
Knight

Re: Messages without dialogue boxes

Post by Goku »

Nice idea Feline.
IGN - Trunks
Pixel Artist In Training
Work On Forest Armor
And Forest Monster
EJlol
TMW Furniture
TMW Furniture

Post by EJlol »

It would be even more great for server messages. Right now the chat is filled with "you picked up a blablabla" etc.
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

EJlol wrote:It would be even more great for server messages. Right now the chat is filled with "you picked up a blablabla" etc.
The latest git already has a solution for that. When you pick up items, you can have that text, a particle effect with the item name, both, or neither.
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

A more elegant solution for the spam would be to have a separate tab for all non-chat related things. (Or even further to be able to split those into combat and non-combat messages.)
This message used to be meaningful.
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Rotonen wrote:A more elegant solution for the spam would be to have a separate tab for all non-chat related things. (Or even further to be able to split those into combat and non-combat messages.)
We hope to have chat tabs for 0.0.29 too.
feline monstrosity
Warrior
Warrior

Post by feline monstrosity »

jaxad0127 wrote:
Rotonen wrote:A more elegant solution for the spam would be to have a separate tab for all non-chat related things. (Or even further to be able to split those into combat and non-combat messages.)
We hope to have chat tabs for 0.0.29 too.
Excellent.
~Feline Monstrosity
zick
Novice
Novice

Post by zick »

I always thought that a chat window should be separate from a console (which display "You picked up a Bug Leg"). I think it'd be nice if shop message, quest dialogue, etc. should also be done in the console somehow. That way it's not a separate window that you have to close.