New website design

Web discussions, including project website, forums, wiki, and others.

Pajarico
Knight
Knight

Post by Pajarico »

i wrote:Verious your version is really nice. but make something with the mana world sign on center, it looks odd. i like your conception. its something pretty fresh in case of new website development.
It doesn't look odd to me.
Ghost
Peon
Peon

Post by Ghost »

I like the newer one because it looks really professional, but it still seems a bit naked on the sides.

I new globe looks terrific.
Bjørn
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bjørn »

Matt wrote:BTW, did Purple cheat for lvl116?
Sorry I'll replace the screenshot later with a "legal" character. I am GM so I could up myself some levels in order to survive in the cave. :-)
Verious
Peon
Peon

Post by Verious »

Bjørn, the new site is definately a significant improvement and I really like the new color scheme. Keep up the good work. :D
Ghost wrote:I like the newer one because it looks really professional, but it still seems a bit naked on the sides.
Thanks. I own a web-design company and I've been designing sites for a long time. As for the sides: I didn't finish the design, because I found out the new (current) site was in the works. :wink:
maci
Knight
Knight

Post by maci »

I like the newer one because it looks really professional, but it still seems a bit naked on the sides.
Sure..

The fade is still missing :P

btw could you interpolate the font of the logo a bit its too edgy
ElvenProgrammer wrote:Maci: don't be rude, we're here to help people ;)
Bjørn
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bjørn »

Verious wrote:Bjørn, the new site is definately a significant improvement and I really like the new color scheme. Keep up the good work. :D
Thanks. :-) I think we can meanwhile continue to work towards a new website again though, if you feel like finishing what you started cause it does look nice. I roughly estimate the current one will last somewhere between 4 and 8 months.
maci wrote:btw could you interpolate the font of the logo a bit its too edgy
I'll see what I can do without making it blurry, but I think you're nitpicking, just like you keep coming back about that gradient. ;-)
Kyokai
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Kyokai »

I really like the new website layout and all. I think the new logo is very cool, and adds alot of legitimacy to the project.

My one complaint is that hyperlinks on the forum appear the same color as normal text. Also, I'd like the IRC buttons back, but that's just me, I don't know if anyone else really used them.

Oh one more thing, can clicking on the logo in the forum and wiki just take us back to the main site, instead of taking us back to the frontpage of the forum or wiki?
The Mana World System Coordinator.
View the Systems
So what does the systems coordinator actually do? My job is to take your ideas for TMW and build them into working aspects of gameplay that can be implemented by the artists and programmers. If there's anything you think we can do better or differently, let me know.
Bjørn
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bjørn »

Kyokai wrote:My one complaint is that hyperlinks on the forum appear the same color as normal text. Also, I'd like the IRC buttons back, but that's just me, I don't know if anyone else really used them.
I agree we should change the color of the links, it's especially the visited ones that become too much like black. IRC buttons? Do you mean you'd like the IRC info to be a link to our IRC channel?
Kyokai wrote:Oh one more thing, can clicking on the logo in the forum and wiki just take us back to the main site, instead of taking us back to the frontpage of the forum or wiki?
I'll make sure they do when I get around to it.
Kyokai
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Kyokai »

Bjørn wrote:IRC buttons? Do you mean you'd like the IRC info to be a link to our IRC channel?
In our old wiki there was a button I could push while using Mozilla which would open chatzilla and take me directly to your IRC channel. I miss that button.
The Mana World System Coordinator.
View the Systems
So what does the systems coordinator actually do? My job is to take your ideas for TMW and build them into working aspects of gameplay that can be implemented by the artists and programmers. If there's anything you think we can do better or differently, let me know.
Verious
Peon
Peon

Post by Verious »

Bjørn wrote:I think we can meanwhile continue to work towards a new website again though, if you feel like finishing what you started cause it does look nice. I roughly estimate the current one will last somewhere between 4 and 8 months.
That sounds good. Maybe we could align the release of the next version of the website with a milestone launch of the game, to boost interest in the project even more.

Are there any milestones scheduled for around that time?
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Post by ElvenProgrammer »

Verious wrote:
Bjørn wrote:I think we can meanwhile continue to work towards a new website again though, if you feel like finishing what you started cause it does look nice. I roughly estimate the current one will last somewhere between 4 and 8 months.
That sounds good. Maybe we could align the release of the next version of the website with a milestone launch of the game, to boost interest in the project even more.

Are there any milestones scheduled for around that time?
Heh 4-8 months from now? Nah let's do everything step by step :wink:
Bjørn
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bjørn »

Verious wrote:Are there any milestones scheduled for around that time?
There is a big unscheduled milestone coming closer which is the time when we can switch the released client to use our own server. I also estimate this milestone will take 4-8 months to reach. Of course the closer it gets the better we should be able to say when it's going to be. :-)
Verious
Peon
Peon

Post by Verious »

Sounds good. I'll make sure the new design is ready and the site is cut into HTML well in advance of that date (for integration).

Will the character sprites be finished by then? I think it would be pretty cool to incorporate them into the forum in place of (or by the) avatar pictures. So people can quickly identify each other in-game and on the forum.

The paper-doll layering effect could be accomplished with nested tables (using the table cell background image property for maximum compatibility) or using CSS.
Bjørn
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bjørn »

Great idea for the avatars. I think sharing the user database would go too far but certainly we can try to add a feature where you can set your player character as your avatar. No problem at least on the part of the website, even a few div elements could do the layering just like I did fanatically with the current website, which actually doesn't use any table. :-)

Btw the current website is available from CVS, it's the tmwwebsite module.
Bjørn
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bjørn »

Kyokai wrote:In our old wiki there was a button I could push while using Mozilla which would open chatzilla and take me directly to your IRC channel. I miss that button.
IRC info in top right of main website should now work fine with ChatZilla.