GUI suggestion ...

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

zick
Novice
Novice

GUI suggestion ...

Post by zick »

I have a suggestion for the GUI to make it more customizable by each user ... First we break every GUI element into separate objects and each element of that main element into another object. Lets take the EXP bar as a case in point (or HP or MP bars) ... It is made out of several elements: the actual bar, the two numerical displays (current value, maximum value), as well as some non-displayed elements like an icon, a title (the word "EXP"), the current percentage, the needed percentage, etc. We give each of these elements an object name that can be addressed in a client-side XML file that configures the GUI. Then we lay out each of these elements in a variety of windows (each "window" has an option to actually display the window or not, like in the case of the EXP bar which is actually displayed in an invisible window as opposed to the item list that is in a window). Each of these window's elements (which can be any element from the wide array of all elements) is displayed in a way defined by a master XML file. Example:

Code: Select all

<window name="EXP" titlebar="no" width="" height="" x="" y=""> // window name displayed in the title bar of the window (h,w,x,y are self explanatory)
<background="invisible"> // invisible means no window displayed, background element can be an image if you want
<quickkey="none"> // a key that toggles the display of this window, always displayed
<element type="EXP_bar_border">
<element type="EXP_bar" />
<element type="EXP_current_needed_percent" justification="center" separator="|"> // displays the current and needed percent separated by "|" as opposed to using EXP_current_needed_value which displays values
</element> // example of a nested element or element within an element
</window>
Just an example ... If this idea is implemented we'll need to hash out all of the element names and all of the options needed for each element.
zick
Novice
Novice

Re: GUI suggestion ...

Post by zick »

Forgive me for necroposting ...
Anyways, I just wanted to bring this up again but I'm thinking no one replied to this because I was unclear. I didn't really know how to explain this any better, but I came up with a way to describe it better. Anyways, it would kinda be like the box-model for HTML/CSS. Every GUI object is a box, in a box that can be resized, skinned, etc.
octalot
Novice
Novice

Post by octalot »

To make the GUI mostly configurable in XML would need a lot of work to be done in C++; and would make the C++ code far harder to work with.
Retired from TMW; incomplete projects looking for a dev:
Cave foliage (plants up the walls): http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5659
Cave wetwalls (water down the walls): http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5816
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Not necessarily, Octalot. Handling the GUI layouting with external files would in fact simplify a lot of GUI code.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.