From Rip to Redraw

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Seradest
Novice
Novice

Re: RIP to learn

Post by Seradest »

1.The roof need Light from top right.
2.Make the window open or else no light came into the house.
3.Make over the window a own small roof.
4.Make all thinks that build the house as 32x32,16x16,32x64 ........... graphics
5.Use 2 more colors 4 the underside of the wall.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Seradest wrote:1.The roof need Light from top right.
top LEFT.
2.Make the window open or else no light came into the house.
Tiles for both open and closed windows would be nice.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
pateame

Post by pateame »

I got 2 variations, but I will need to organize the 32x32 sizes again. just a sketch:

Seradest
Novice
Novice

Post by Seradest »

pateame wrote:I got 2 variations, but I will need to organize the 32x32 sizes again. just a sketch:

oh very good
here an exemple for windows:

aaaaand make new stairs and color it white

and a idea the street in 2 big 32x32 black marmoreal plates.
pateame

Post by pateame »

Thanks seradest, now ladders, floor and windows was remade following your suggestions :shock:
Seradest
Novice
Novice

Post by Seradest »

sorry duble post
Last edited by Seradest on 29 Mar 2009, 20:38, edited 1 time in total.
Seradest
Novice
Novice

Post by Seradest »

pateame wrote:Thanks seradest, now ladders, floor and windows was remade following your suggestions :shock:
1.The street has to many details and looks to flat
2.make the color of the door and window blinds more like the color of the wood of the terrain.

Here are terra kotta plates for example and the street from wood:

And think of for new fastener for the door and the door has a small roof ,think about the shadow from him

And when you make the blinds of the window to the outside you can fill the black with a blue Glas:
pateame

Post by pateame »

Its my try with the suggested floor texture and new door concept.

REDO Tileset:
Last edited by pateame on 29 Mar 2009, 23:37, edited 4 times in total.
Seradest
Novice
Novice

Post by Seradest »

pateame wrote:Its my try with the suggested floor texture and new door concept.

I mean it so:

See what i did ,its only a tip not done i make it for your training ^^ and use the wiki of TMW in that are many tips.
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Seradest wrote:See what i did ,its only a tip not done i make it for your training ^^ and use the wiki of TMW in that are many tips.
You don't have to match existing stuff exactly.
octalot
Novice
Novice

Re: Basic house tile

Post by octalot »

Len wrote:just do it over and use it as a reference
do not directly copy anything Space, Value, Shape, Line, Form, Texture, Color, or its DERIVATIVE WORK...Which I fear the dune might be, I don't fully understand copyright laws :shock:
I Am Not A Lawyer either, but I think this thread is going the wrong way.
There have been a lot of changes to the door, and the similarities are getting harder to see, but still it seems to be an edited version of the original.

I believe (and Len will probably pull me up on this if I'm wrong), that to avoid being a derivative work you need to start from a blank canvas; rather than starting with the original and drawing on top. If you don't start with a blank canvas then you're gaining from use of the original; and I think that makes it a derivative work. By "reference", we mean looking at how the original artist drew it, learning from the techniques, and then applying your new knowledge to your own art.
Retired from TMW; incomplete projects looking for a dev:
Cave foliage (plants up the walls): http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5659
Cave wetwalls (water down the walls): http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5816
Len
Knight
Knight

Re: From Rip to Redraw

Post by Len »

It can still be a derivative work even if you work from a blank canvas (from what i've heard)

its best just to work from GPL stuff or ask the person who made it (which is what i'm doing from now on) just to be safe... (I still think my dune might be a problem)
Pixel Battalion
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

So, even if you've never seen their work, had it described to you, etc, and you make something similar, you could get sued? Stupid laws.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

I wouldn't see this issue that strict. Immitating other peoples work is common in art and design. This is how art styles evolve.

The line between immitation and plagiarism is a very blurry and subjective one. But as long as you don't see the relation when you put inspiration and your work next to each other you are on the save side, in my opinion.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Len
Knight
Knight

Post by Len »

jaxad0127 wrote:So, even if you've never seen their work, had it described to you, etc, and you make something similar, you could get sued? Stupid laws.
If you can prove you never had access to the work and somehow made something similar, your safe! But if you used it in the making of your work, even if the finished product is completely different it might be a problem (the world is strange)
Pixel Battalion