April 1st Virus?

Talk about anything, including games and servers not affiliated with The Mana World.
Goku
Knight
Knight

April 1st Virus?

Post by Goku »

Was the post about a virus being released on April 1st or whatever deleted?

Was it just a joke? Seemed real to me. Anyways it was about a virus on windows computers.. I guess I should just google it, but I thought i'd ask here aswell since there was a post about it.
IGN - Trunks
Pixel Artist In Training
Work On Forest Armor
And Forest Monster
daxter304
Peon
Peon

Re: April 1st Virus?

Post by daxter304 »

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It was deleted. Here is the message i got:
Daxter, I deleted this post. It has no place on the TMW forum, even in off-topic.

Regards,
Bjørn

Subject: The Looming Conficker Virus(PLEASE READ)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My response and the response to that response:

daxter304 wrote:
Really...?
I can't even try to help people? OMG. What if people lose control of their computers because of Conficker, that's more people NOT playing TMW. I'm ATTEMPTING to help, but being blocked...

This problem has nothing to do with TMW. I don't care what dangers Windows users get themselves into. If you really want to help them, teach them how to use a different operating system.

Regards,
Bjørn
My response to that:
That's (Yes I am making a new word for it) OSist.
Definition of Off-Topic: Not related to the matter under discussion
This forum doesn't seem much like a forum at this point. I posted the same topic on Forgehub, a halo 3 forum, people there have appreciated it. Oh, and: New Post From Me
This is all so dumb...

Super Quick Conficker Worm Check(Do YOU Have It?)

Links to removal tools for Conficker worm:
(They auto-download from their sites)
Symantec Conficker Removal Tool
Bitdefender Conficker Removal Tool
Last edited by daxter304 on 03 Apr 2009, 02:22, edited 1 time in total.
trapdoor
Novice
Novice

Post by trapdoor »

The main problem with the original post was that there was no direct links, they seemed kindof dodgy to me, almost as if they were trying to scare people into going to those links that could possibly have infected those users with that virus or another virus.

--
trapdoor
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Worm attack chaos fails to strike 
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7976099.stm
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Drizak
Peon
Peon

Post by Drizak »

Crush wrote:
Worm attack chaos fails to strike 
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7976099.stm
rofl wormowned

nice to know lol
Image Drizak
daxter304
Peon
Peon

Post by daxter304 »

Don't let your guard down, it didn't attack, but it did update itself, it now has the ability to download from 50,000 sites, it checks 500 a day for updates to itself. It could still hit hard... but when?
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Here is a simple test to check if you are infected: http://www.heise.de/security/dienste/br ... er_e.shtml
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
daxter304
Peon
Peon

Post by daxter304 »

Crush wrote:Here is a simple test to check if you are infected: http://www.heise.de/security/dienste/br ... er_e.shtml
Yeah, this is the fastest check there is.
Armadeus
Knight
Knight

Post by Armadeus »

I haven't received a virus yet..
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

What motive would the owner of the botnet have to destroy the botnet by killing the OS or the machines on which it is running?

People are not doing viruses, worms, trojans, spyware and such to own the world or to prove themselves anymore: they're doing it for money.

Whenever you get infected these days it is simply a matter of someone selling forward your CPU time, bandwidth and data.

To break it down a bit they resell CPU time for breaking encryption, bandwidth for DDoS attacks and your data for data mining or direct money. The data aspect is what usually matters to the average user: credit card data, banking information, personal contacts, personal data and corporate data from work.

Credit card data and banking information are no-brainers to figure out, but the rest might be not-so-obvious for the average user. Personal contact information (emails, phone numbers, snail mail addresses) can be sold as lists to marketing companies. Also in the case of celebrities, politicians and such, there can be unforseen consequences. Also with a list of email addresses the malware usually sends a tempting email with a link to infect the victims to every address found on the computer.

Corporate data can either be something the competing corporation is after or just a lucky hit to resell to such parties or use as blackmailing material. Personal data such as embarrassing photos and videos can also be used to blackmail people.

All this in mind, always think twice when clicking something. (In my opinion a good call from trapdoor, a lot of hits and extra spreading ground from our active forum users to harness.)

Also keeping sensitive data like address books and stuff from work encrypted is something people should consider. This (and many other layers of protection for that matter) is quite common in both governmental and corporate workstation environments.
This message used to be meaningful.
Armadeus
Knight
Knight

Post by Armadeus »

To long, I can't read that. ;-;
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »