Spooky music for graveyard

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Spooky music for graveyard

Post by Crush »

Yes, I got my "trying to make music" phase again. Here is a very short (5 sec.) score I made while experimenting with LMMS. I think it would work for the graveyard scenario we were planing for ages.

Do you think it would be worth to try to make a whole track out of this concept? Please state your honest opinion, I can take it.
Attachments
Spooky Beat.ogg
(116.23 KiB) Downloaded 156 times
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Alxe
Novice
Novice

Re: Spooky music for graveyard

Post by Alxe »

I looks good, but maybe if the sound was of "worse" quality, and lower with a soft whistle on the background, and a loop-like style, it would really be good :)

Btw, thanks for the LMMS name, I was looking something to play around with music effects and things :P (Chocolate Cupcake, just noticed it is wrote with QT and no GTK T_T)
Arch64 - We power it
Nickname: Alxe
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

Downbeat it a lot and make the harmonics in the background longer and overextend the wailing elements over the beat sequences.
This message used to be meaningful.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Expanded the score to 20 seconds. Not sure how to resolve the suspense created at the end yet.
Attachments
Spooky Beat 0.2.ogg
(486.51 KiB) Downloaded 144 times
  • NOT a game master

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Matt
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Matt »

Sounds almost spooky, good job. You may want to add a "cradle of filth" dingdududödödingdldum instead of the current one.

As you may have noticed I am not very good about describing sounds, but your tune still sounds too happy for a graveyard.
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

Slow down to a funeral pace and make everything longer.

The base per se is solid, although you might want to squelch some of the dur/major.
This message used to be meaningful.
Nyxl
Peon
Peon

Post by Nyxl »

Hi,

it definitely has a spooky feeling, but there are mainly two things that disturb me a bit

The background-"pad"-sound gets loud first and then quieter again, like this:

Code: Select all

/\
  /  \_______
 /           \
I feel it's jumping at me somehow... maybe you could change the envelope to something like

Code: Select all

_______
  /       \
 /         \
/           \
instead (sorry, it seems I'm not able to make it display prettily ;)) or with a longer attack-time

And the chords you use sound a bit too unharmonic to me, even for a spooky track. Maybe if you uploaded the midi I could tell you more exactly what I mean

Cheers
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

I plan to post the project file, but I am currently using a bass sample I may not redistribute as a stand-alone file (although I may use it royalty-free). I will make the track open-source as soon as I found a replacement.
  • NOT a game master

Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Here is version 0.3. No new scores but I removed the decay of the pads as Nyxl suggested (they sounded a bit dull afterwards so I made them pulsate a bit using the LFO) and I replaced the bass sample with one which comes with LMMS so that it is a truly free track.

Here it is together with the LMMS project file so that others can experiment with it under the terms of the GNU GPL. Maybe Rotonen would like to "fork" the track, because his ideas seem to be a lot different from what I want to do.
Attachments
Spooky Beat 0.3.mpp.zip
(3.74 KiB) Downloaded 104 times
Spooky Beat 0.3.ogg
(391.37 KiB) Downloaded 141 times
  • NOT a game master

Seradest
Novice
Novice

Post by Seradest »

Hmm Final Fantasy 8,the flying castle at the end of the game ?
Drizak
Peon
Peon

Post by Drizak »

I like it :D

But sounds kinda nice for a graveyard.. dont know how to explain it, but i like it lol
Image Drizak
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

New version of the track. I added some new parts and thus expanded the whole thing to 1:30.

Although it is not very likely to be used because Feline Monstrosity already created another track and Saturn wants to give it a shot, too.
Attachments
Spooky Beat 0.7.ogg
(1.45 MiB) Downloaded 215 times
Spooky Beat 0.7.mmp.zip
(8.38 KiB) Downloaded 96 times
  • NOT a game master

feline monstrosity
Warrior
Warrior

Post by feline monstrosity »

Experimenting is always good whether it's used or not!

At the beginning the arpeggios seem to clash with the chords in the background, I don't know if this is intentional but it's jarring. I also find the chord sequence quite annoying, maybe if you varied it at different parts of the song it would help.
~Feline Monstrosity