Open door

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: Open door

Post by Rotonen »

Turmfalke wrote:I just checked to be sure, front doors definitely open inwards and it is much easyer to open a outwards going door with a crowbar than a inwards.
Assuming you can insert a crowbar between the door and the frame (we usually have metal frames).
This message used to be meaningful.
Turmfalke
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Turmfalke »

Rotonen wrote:
Turmfalke wrote:I just checked to be sure, front doors definitely open inwards and it is much easyer to open a outwards going door with a crowbar than a inwards.
Assuming you can insert a crowbar between the door and the frame (we usually have metal frames).
and we metal crowbars :-) ok lets take wall next to the door. Do we really discuss the security point of a open door in a computer rpg? :mrgreen: Let's say booth is possible and that people living in a mud house with a open door don't care whether the door would be secure when the door would be made of metal and closed.

EJlol: Do you think you could also draw a inwards opening door? Variety is always good.
I stand beside the holy man
The monarchs fear my wrath
None may move the way I can
Ever the crooked path
a knight
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

Turmfalke wrote:Do we really discuss the security point of a open door in a computer rpg?
Yes, we got a bit carried away, but I did have a point: don't be stuck with what you have at home. The world is full of different ways for everything and we're not even limited by that!
meway
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by meway »

I think it would be more free swinging going in and out-ways even if it was am issue that's what i would argue ;P
Attachments
option3 fix knob
option3 fix knob
door3.PNG (1.72 KiB) Viewed 2821 times
option3
option3
door3.PNG (1.74 KiB) Viewed 2831 times
Last edited by meway on 16 Apr 2009, 23:31, edited 5 times in total.
Turmfalke
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Turmfalke »

yes but we are used to something and the problem with doors who open outwards is that it is easy to block them with something heavy on the pavement(like a car).
I stand beside the holy man
The monarchs fear my wrath
None may move the way I can
Ever the crooked path
a knight
meway
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by meway »

i added some files to my last if u go up
EJlol
TMW Furniture
TMW Furniture

Post by EJlol »

IMO the inwards opening door is much better, because it looks more dynamic. It also just uses 2 tiles (just like the closed door), where the outwards opening door uses 4 tiles (so there has to be room to the right of door in order to use it). And it feels more natural for me :P
meway
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by meway »

In that case here is an update to that. I added inward hinges to the door and made the wood more realistic.
Attachments
open_door
open_door
door4.PNG (3.16 KiB) Viewed 2786 times
sj16936724
Peon
Peon

Post by sj16936724 »

To me, something looks wrong with this door. To me, the colours almost make the door look like it should be opening outwards. Maybe some darker shading could help (inside the house, the door is not in direct sunlight)
meway
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by meway »

oh ya your rite here is a fix for that :)
Attachments
gave the door a more fitting texture and color
gave the door a more fitting texture and color
door5.PNG (3.21 KiB) Viewed 2719 times
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

Ooh, finally some good looking wood in that tileset.

Perhaps it should be darkened and accentuated all over?
meway
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by meway »

so can we use something like this?
John P
Warrior
Warrior

Post by John P »

I agree that the door should definitely open inward, and the outward open door looks off to me. A lot more doors in certain areas should be open or closed based on the weather of the environment, if of there is no air conditioning in this world (it could be done by magic, I don't know. People wander the snow in their underpants.) It also seems that this whole 'running into the door' thing is better solved by making entrance points (or warp points) on the steps instead of in the door. But if you want to change the doors:

1) If you're changing the open door to inward visible, the closed door in this tile set has to be edited too because closed door visibly appear to open outward (the top and bottom of the door overlap the building's frame).

2) Hinges are inside as well, also security-technicality. But Meway's "hinges" do look like believable decorative or support pieces instead of hinges.

3) I think the "open door" should be open more than it is in your sample. The shading is really amazing though.
meway
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by meway »

Thank you, i think, but most of the door from the inside view was ejlol i did only the door and the hinges and you are rite i do believe i can make a door that appears inside the house (close view)
John P
Warrior
Warrior

Post by John P »

meway wrote:Thank you, i think, but most of the door from the inside view was ejlol i did only the door and the hinges and you are rite i do believe i can make a door that appears inside the house (close view)
my compliment was all for your door :wink: but ejlol's floor is amazing as well.