Shall CapitanAwesome/Astra/JihadJack be made GM?

A place for players to do role playing, discuss their guilds, etc.

Do you think CapitanAwesome/Astra/JihadJack should be made our first Australian GM?

Poll ended at 22 Apr 2009, 21:50

Yes.
35%
No.
18%
I don'k know.
11%
I don't know him that well.
16%
I don't know him at all.
20%

Total votes: 83
Wombat
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: Shall CapitanAwesome/Astra/JihadJack be made GM?

Post by Wombat »

I voted "I don't know". I've made acquaintance with JihadJack. Not a fan of the language of consequences when "consequences" means banning or threatening to ban players. I just hope GM powers remain limited and more focused on botting and leave the player etiquette largely in the hands of the players and their groups they make.
Current character is "Abolish".
Tellerium
Peon
Peon

Post by Tellerium »

Wombat wrote:I voted "I don't know". I've made acquaintance with JihadJack. Not a fan of the language of consequences when "consequences" means banning or threatening to ban players. I just hope GM powers remain limited and more focused on botting and leave the player etiquette largely in the hands of the players and their groups they make.
Mr Wombat,
I stated before that I can and have been a rude, crude and vulgar person, I know when something is in bad taste and sometimes people need to realise that this is a public place and just like a public place IRL, there are going to be people saying and doing things they dont like.

I am all about conflict resolution, banning a player for an offensive act, or for something said that persons might take offence too, should be a last resort, I would like to see people accept that what they have said/done is offensive to some people and to make good their actions.

If the action is repeated and the conflit cannot be resolved, then maybe a temporary ban is in order, simply to show these repeat offenders that their actions, albeit not offensive to everyone, are not welcome in our game.

We need to remember that like in real life, no one can please all the people all the time, and if we need to make the odd example of people, then when the case calls for it, so be it.

The rules are clearly set, if people can't obide by these rules, or can't play nice and get along with everyone (it's not that hard, I seem to manage it quite well) then maybe we just @pvpon <charname> and let the public sort them out =)
Zach from Mildura, Victoria, Australia
Char's are JihadJack, CapitanAwesome, MadamAwesome, Astra
Visit my personal rant page @ http://www.one24chaffey.com
Wombat
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Wombat »

Not to change the subject, but what is the role of player groups? Los Viscerales dissolved its membership because it seemed to be more on point to merely position the group for competitive game elements, the player market and player organized events. Such positions don't need to maintain a roster when we aren't a mutual protection group like guilds are.

I also don't see much of a reason to create/maintain a player group if players can't or aren't trying to create their social lives within the game themselves. I don't see GMs as leaders of players, but rather serving a functional role within the game to ensure players can do what they want without having to share space (lose xp and fun) with botters, get trade or whisper spammed until they are forced to disconnect (which has largely been resolved) or other similar problems. There is room for excessive abuses to be handled by GMs, but I think players should turn to themselves as individuals or as player groups to handle most problems.

I am not trying to say you shouldn't be a GM, just mentioning that the role itself isn't so arbitrary that how much I like or dislike you will or should make much of an impact on the role you play in the game. I think you have shown an ability to be neutral to players as the role should be. Hope this hasn't come off as dissuasive, as that wasn't my purpose, just mentioning a point that I hope I'm not belaboring. I wouldn't enjoy the game if GMs wanted the role to get the praise of other players. That should be the role of player groups and/or player leaders to fill ;)
Current character is "Abolish".
tarax
Peon
Peon

Post by tarax »

Tellerium wrote:Hello folks, Zach here (aka CapitanAwesome/Astra/JihadJack)

I have a policy that I stick to in life and I like to apply it to The Mana World as well; "Everyone is my friend until you give me reason otherwise" basically, if you do the right thing, no body has a problem, but if you don't tow the line, don't play by the rules, there are consequences and I will enforce them.

I can be crude and vulgar, but I also know the people that aren't offended by such behavior, for the people that do get offended, I will do my best to ensure that your experience (IRL & TMW) is made as pleasant as possible.

Cheers =)
Sorry JihadJack, but you get a big NO from me and whomever else I can influence.
The very first day I met you, I asked you why you would use such an offensive name and you jumped down my throat with a bunch of BS.
You have lost all of my respect IRL and on TMW.
There are many here that know me and there are very few people I dislike IRL or in TMW, but unless you have changed since that time or can show me it was just part of your character, I will leave you in the same category as pickpocket and other scum...
Tellerium
Peon
Peon

Post by Tellerium »

What BS were you fed?
The story is as follows;
I am Australian, there was an Australian bloke who was charged and spent a few years in Guantanamo Bay for training with a terrorist orginisation.
The media nicknamed him 'JihadJack' his name being 'Jack' and all.

The name is catchy, and although references a muslim religeous war, doesn't single anyone out as being better or worse than any other person, doesn't incite violence against a person or group of people, and if you or anyone else takes offence to the term 'Jihad' I suspect you are having a hard time watching the news of an evening, every second foriegn intrest report invloves someone on a Jihad of some description.

Sheesh, there was an old lady on the local talkback radio the other day talking about having a Jihad agaisnt the bugs in her garden!

The only Jihad I have been on of late is against Skulls :lol:

Im sorry to anyone that has taken offence to the name, there was never any intention to cause that reaction. I have since created other characters with names that I hope you don't find offensive (unless you take offense at spelling minstakes).

Cheers =)
Fubar
Peon
Peon

Post by Fubar »

Voted yes!

I don't see how anyone could be offended for a little Arabic word that means "holy war", its comparable to someone saying "crusade" in a public place and him immediately getting cursed at for that... :roll:
Katze
Knight
Knight

Post by Katze »

Tellerium wrote:
Katze wrote:
Tellerium wrote: Although I have in the past been online for 18 hours a day 6 or 7 days a week, my work is now picking up considerably, although I do try to log on when ever and where ever I am ( i work away from home 90% of the time) I can't guarantee that I will be spending as much time as I might need to be,
The risk of botting will increase without a doubt.
Katze, that might be true, but having a GM that isn't around much is better then not having one at all =)

Sheesh, now I sound like I'm begging for the job!

Cheers.
:lol:
Sorry, I meant: The risk FOR botters will increase. ;)
Meow! (Katze is also known as Plush & Kater)
Tellerium
Peon
Peon

Post by Tellerium »

Katze wrote:
:lol:
Sorry, I meant: The risk FOR botters will increase. ;)

HeHeHe, my mistake =)
Leo
Novice
Novice

Post by Leo »

I voted yes :P
Level 74 now, wooh! xD :) (My main char is now Leo!) Image

~Invaders, possibly from space!~
kinwa
Novice
Novice

Post by kinwa »

Fubar wrote: I don't see how anyone could be offended for a little Arabic word that means "holy war", its comparable to someone saying "crusade" in a public place and him immediately getting cursed at for that... :roll:
it doesn't mean "holy war" at all.

anyways i voted "i dont know him that well" because i dont know him that well
Fubar
Peon
Peon

Post by Fubar »

kinwa wrote: it doesn't mean "holy war" at all.
No not as a direct translation, then it would be "war" or "struggle", but it is often used with the meaning "holy war" in the western world.

sorry for being off topic
Katze
Knight
Knight

Post by Katze »

People who're saying "No":

please explain why it is a no for you.

Thanks
Meow! (Katze is also known as Plush & Kater)
fate
Warrior
Warrior

Post by fate »

Hi,

some of the people voting against might prefer to send their objections to a trusted GM or developer in private, though. Others may vote against because they'd prefer rather fewer and less active GMs at rather more predictable times. ;-)

-- fate
Anna
Novice
Novice

Post by Anna »

Tellerium wrote:What BS were you fed?
The story is as follows;
I am Australian, there was an Australian bloke who was charged and spent a few years in Guantanamo Bay for training with a terrorist orginisation.
The media nicknamed him 'JihadJack' his name being 'Jack' and all.
I vote yes for Jihad even though he is terrorist trader.

Tellerium? were you up for a vote or did you get passed over?
Tellerium
Peon
Peon

Post by Tellerium »

Anna wrote: I vote yes for Jihad even though he is terrorist trader.

Tellerium? were you up for a vote or did you get passed over?
Yes, I was able to vote, and for full disclosure, I voted yes, and no. To try and remain neutral.