another musician

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

saturn
Novice
Novice

Re: another musician

Post by saturn »

I will try and write a short menu track tomorrow. You are right, at that 50 second point onwards, the theme is drastically different - so I cut it into two pieces, and lengthened them a bit. I also brought the timpani down after that 8 second-ish spot. They need some transition work, and maybe another section each -

http://alokinnollahwe.com/randommusic/m ... che1.2.ogg
http://alokinnollahwe.com/randommusic/m ... tch1.1.ogg

Tell me what you think, I'm not entirely sure how to finish them up, but I suppose they are not too far from some form of completion.

For the forest sketch, I'm not sure how I'd go about putting in rocks, but I can try to add wind. I will have a finished version of that piece by the weekend.
dariunas
Novice
Novice

Post by dariunas »

saturn wrote: For the forest sketch, I'm not sure how I'd go about putting in rocks, but I can try to add wind. I will have a finished version of that piece by the weekend.
lol - sorry, I meant about putting these effects for the mountain track. Crumbling rocks would suggest that you're near a cliff face on a mountain, and the wind would help communicate the altitude, but not sure how the hell you'd do the rocks. Was throwing ideas out there, but in reality, it would probably sound artificial if the player's not near a wall (I probably wouldn't do it) :\
saturn
Novice
Novice

Post by saturn »

Ah, gotchya. I'll fix these songs up a bit, make a menu sketch, and post them here this evening.
saturn
Novice
Novice

Post by saturn »

I had trouble making menu music for some reason, I'll get back on that tonight. I made two new sketches though. One is what I think the desert should sound like -

http://alokinnollahwe.com/randommusic/m ... tch3.1.ogg

This is much different than previous interpretations, but I really like it. The other is a slow, more generic, piece with horn solo. It needs a bit of work, but its ambiguity could work well as a transition piece (from say, a mountain-coast transition or something) -

http://alokinnollahwe.com/randommusic/m ... tch1.1.ogg

Let me know what you think! I will have a "finished" version of the forest song later tonight.
saturn
Novice
Novice

Post by saturn »

This is the more finished version of forestsketch. The harp seems to have some weird bass muddling, which I will take out in a final draft if you find this suitable. I changed significantly a few measures that I really didn't like form the old sketch, panned the ambience a little more naturally, and added reverb to it.

http://alokinnollahwe.com/randommusic/m ... tch1.2.ogg

There ya go
saturn
Novice
Novice

Post by saturn »

So here is a complete list of what I have made thus far -

castlesketch1.1
Clarinet2.1
desertsketch1
desertsketch2
desertsketch3.1
forestsketch1.2.1
mountainsketch1.2
Recorder2
slowhornsketch1.1

They can be found here -

http://alokinnollahwe.com/randommusic/m ... c/TMW/ogg/

- I definitely agree that desert1 is too generic, and certainly doesn't fit the desert, so I think I will ditch that one.
- Clarinet2.1 and Recorder2 still stands as nice village songs, but Hurnscald is even better, IMO. However, if there are multiple villages that you want unique tracks for, I can brush these up for that.
- I really like desert3.1, and if others do, I would put more time into it, and ditch desert2. If people like desert2 more, I can work on that.
- forestsketch1.2.1 is a finally finished version. Unless you think I need to add something, or change something a bit, I think it is ready to be at least tested in-game.
- mountainsketch, castlesketch, and hornsketch all seem nice, and are not too far from being finished. If you agree, I will finish them this weekend, and they can be tested in-game.

*whew* Let me know what you think, I'm ready to edit these, make more, or go back and redo songs entirely.
Goku
Knight
Knight

Post by Goku »

I'll leave it up to the devs to tell you where to go from here, but i'd just like to say these sound very, very good.

Should make the game much better. :D
IGN - Trunks
Pixel Artist In Training
Work On Forest Armor
And Forest Monster
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

saturn wrote:...
I think it is ready to be at least tested in-game.
and they can be tested in-game.
We distribute music separately due to it's size (the official windows installer, however, includes it). To easily test it without interfering with the other music, rename the file to be tested to have the same name as the file being replaced. Then put it in a music folder, zip that folder, and put it in custom data (~/.tmw/customdata for all but OSX (C:\Documents and settings\(username)\.tmw\customdata is the full path for Windows XP)). YOu can have more than one song in a zip. Filenames are these:
desert - Faith.ogg
woodland - The Mana World - The Forest.ogg
caves - finalman_and_yakslem-cavesong.ogg
hurnscald/title - Magick - Real.ogg
snow/tulimshar indoor - The Mana World - Snow Village.ogg
dimond's cove - Clouds Calling.ogg

(Yes, these names are random. I want to get that fixed for music version 0.3.)
saturn
Novice
Novice

Post by saturn »

I am actually on OSX, but I figured out how to test the songs. I like the way the forest song fits in with the game, in terms of listening to it while playing, but the forest area doesn't seem all that "forest-like."

Also, as there is no implementation for mountain songs, castle, etc, I could not test the other ones. The desert songs both worked, but I see should be longer now because of looping, and maybe a little bit quieter (because they have more going on than the mountain/forest/other songs).

What should I do from here?
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Can you try to do the forest music without the ambient sound effects in the background? I would prefer to do this dynamically with the sound engine.

Another thing which worries me a bit in some of your tracks is the quite dominant and monotonous percussion. I think this could become a bit annoying when the music loops for a long time.

Otherwise good work so far.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
saturn
Novice
Novice

Post by saturn »

For the forest song, I will take the ambience out and post another version tonight.

I see what you mean about the percussion, in desert3 and recorder2. I will vary the beat more in desert3 and lessen the percussion in recorder2 and add another instrument to help break the monotony. I'll post links to these new versions later this week.

I don't know when they could be implemented, but I would really like to try out the mountain, castle, and horn sketch in-game, as I think they are the best ones (though they do need lengthening).

Also, what do you think of the castle song as menu music? It seems grand and dramatic enough, as well as getting right into the theme (no intro). Then Hurnscade can be used just as village music.
saturn
Novice
Novice

Post by saturn »

Here is the forest song without the ambience:

http://alokinnollahwe.com/randommusic/m ... h1.2.2.ogg
John P
Warrior
Warrior

Post by John P »

wow Saturn you can do such amazing work so quickly. Desert 3 and the new forest sketch are especially great.
saturn
Novice
Novice

Post by saturn »

Thanks!

Most of those sketches are undone though, but the forest one I believe is done, and some are close to being done. I have a sketch for the coast, but I'm going to wait on it, as I would really like to get feedback on the castle/mountain/horn songs, because I believe they are close to being done, and would fit those (unimplemented) areas quite well.

I also have been working on a second draft of the desert3 piece, but I'm waiting for more feedback.
saturn
Novice
Novice

Post by saturn »

Sorry I haven't made anything new for a while, gonna be busy until finals are over next week.