Talking English In Public Areas!

A place for players to do role playing, discuss their guilds, etc.
Armadeus
Knight
Knight

Re: Talking English In Public Areas!

Post by Armadeus »

The only person I know who doesn't know any english except for a few normal words like "Come on" "Hey :D" "What's up?" Is Critters.
John P
Warrior
Warrior

Post by John P »

I'm betting in the future colors or clothing will be related to nationality-based guilds (I don't want to say gangs! ;) ). It would be a helpful heads up of what language might be going on with the group I approach, and just generally cool for guild labels. I really do feel bad walking up to people and talking with them in English, only later to find out that they had all been chatting it up in French before I got there. It makes me feel like an ass!

I wonder if language-use can be worked into the game under the races, or not the races specifically but something like facial features. I think the language problem would be less prominent if I walked up to a group of characters with a significant appearance, such as a red paint line on their face or whatever, and I and other players knew this character or group to be related to Portuguese language.

I have had the awkward situation of walking up to 5 or 6 people sitting in town and asked a question, then waited a few seconds to have someone say something in French. I couldn't even know if it was directed at me or if I was ignored! Of course I said Hi and they said Hi initially, but I don't even know if they understood me beyond that. If all of the French characters had pointy ears, I would get somewhat of a heads up that they might not speak English. I think its a good substitution for skin color or facial features that demonstrate separate nationalities. Thats not that I wouldn't talk to this group, but I would know a group of only pointy eared people will be speaking French.

Just a thought off of the top of my head, I don't know if I'm for or against the idea myself!
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

I would have an alternative idea to see the languages someone is speaking which is not abusing other gameplay features:

1. Give everyone the ability to set the languages he/she speaks in a personal profile
2. When you hover your mouse over another character in the game world or character name in chat you get a tooltip with the languages he/she speaks visualized as little flags.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Katze
Knight
Knight

Post by Katze »

John P wrote:I'm betting in the future colors or clothing will be related to nationality-based guilds (I don't want to say gangs! ;) ). It would be a helpful heads up of what language might be going on with the group I approach, and just generally cool for guild labels. I really do feel bad walking up to people and talking with them in English, only later to find out that they had all been chatting it up in French before I got there. It makes me feel like an ass!
I probably only makes you feel like an ass because your native language is English and you feel bad to just speak in your native language to others.
But I don't feel bad at all speaking English. That's because I'm German and English is the world language and therefore the bridge to all people who don't know German.

Those French people just going on to speak French when you're around are being impolite, not you. You probably don't know any french. But they (at least one of them) should know and probably know some English.
Meow! (Katze is also known as Plush & Kater)
InspectorShameless
Novice
Novice

Post by InspectorShameless »

[EDIT]
Last edited by InspectorShameless on 25 Oct 2009, 14:54, edited 1 time in total.
Jumpy
Knight
Knight

Post by Jumpy »

Please don't feel offended by my words as I am not from yours
:oops:

So let’s go for some remarks and thoughts

Uhhh ... French... :evil:

Are you talking about tintin jean marc and cie? Uber is french, kana is french, Little boy is french, ZeroDay is french, I am also and many others I am sure... :o yes they are... :lol:

Are you going to say all frenchies are the same?? ? Please don't make general point on the behaviors and knowledge of 10 years old gang and mix all french people around with that... looks like discrimination...
So my comments here goes for french or any other languages

I had nice conversation in german, spanish, french alone on spot with people all over the world but not in town or when the spot was becoming public

Most languages I see talked around

1 inglish - american should I say
2 brasilian
3 french and german
5 spanish
6 italian
+ others

That is I think more the issue: the reason why people don't speak in english

Whatever the language used by people my conclusion is that those that don't respect the speak english rule are

- Those that are young and don't know the language
- Those people less young or not that never had the opportunity to learn english
- those that are using that excuse because they get caught breaking other rules (you see how they know perfectly how to beg and spam in english and don't know it when they don't want to adding a perfect knowledge of the alt + 4 key...)
- Those that are against the rule

joke :
Oh why don't you english native speaker don't low down your english level so that everyone understand what you say... :mrgreen:
Oh why are some people so shy and ashamed to know little english and never talk but keep playing?
Are they less interesting persons than others? :wink:

with more education on rules, the reasons why english is the official language and also with GM work on something more than just a speak english we'll have certainly less lack of respect towards that will and rule

Just a call on please keep open minded and cosmopolite

Please, again, don't feel offended by my words as I am not from yours
:oops:

I feel sometimes ashamed of some french people going around but as I see english, brasilian, german, spanish, italian and others country youngsters acting, behaving also the same way my shame goes to the lack of education of their parents.
As I had the opportunity to read in one post we are not responsible for education given by others parents and don't have to replace them.

That’s just the way it is.

Diversity has its qualities and the defects that go with it.

Regards
DBMP - BMS - HFDI
Don't Bring Me Problems - Bring Me Solution
and Have Fun Doing It : P

lvl 99 89 56 51 47 42 7
Tellerium
Peon
Peon

Post by Tellerium »

Do GM's have the ability to 'pop-up' the rules as displayed by the NPC as you enter the game?
This would allow a GM to 'refresh' a players memory of the rules?
This has the benifit of being in multiple languages, so that there is nothing lost in translation and a user has no excuse of not knowing the rules, this would also help in other situations as well.
Zach from Mildura, Victoria, Australia
Char's are JihadJack, CapitanAwesome, MadamAwesome, Astra
Visit my personal rant page @ http://www.one24chaffey.com
Katze
Knight
Knight

Post by Katze »

InspectorShameless wrote:What ? some French succeeded at last to infiltrate TMW ?
Katze wrote:You probably don't know any french. But they (at least one of them) should know and probably know some English.
Stay calm people, don't move an inch, and try to cooperate : that's the only way we might get rid of those ******** ********* ... invading foreigners !

... just jokin' ... remember "Them or US" from the M.A.D comics books ?

I was talking about the language. :P

Another suggestion from me:

It might be good to have language (and map) specific chat tabs/groups and it'd be forbidden to speak any other language in the respective groups. Maybe not a new suggestion but one solution.

Tellerium wrote:Do GM's have the ability to 'pop-up' the rules as displayed by the NPC as you enter the game?
This would allow a GM to 'refresh' a players memory of the rules?
This has the benifit of being in multiple languages, so that there is nothing lost in translation and a user has no excuse of not knowing the rules, this would also help in other situations as well.
Good idea. Though I have no idea if that's theoretically possible.
Meow! (Katze is also known as Plush & Kater)