Shall CapitanAwesome/Astra/JihadJack be made GM?

A place for players to do role playing, discuss their guilds, etc.

Do you think CapitanAwesome/Astra/JihadJack should be made our first Australian GM?

Poll ended at 22 Apr 2009, 21:50

Yes.
35%
No.
18%
I don'k know.
11%
I don't know him that well.
16%
I don't know him at all.
20%

Total votes: 83
kinwa
Novice
Novice

Re: Shall CapitanAwesome/Astra/JihadJack be made GM?

Post by kinwa »

why trying to be neutral? didt you try to show us in your latest postings why you would be a good gm?
Tellerium
Peon
Peon

Post by Tellerium »

kinwa wrote:why trying to be neutral? didt you try to show us in your latest postings why you would be a good gm?
I wasnt intending to prove that I would be a good GM, only defending myself against a few un-warrented attacks against my choice of name etc. and making my thoughts on how I might approach the task of GM known to the rest of the player base.

This poll might exist for the sole reason that when I was approached, I stated (as I have in the past) that I would only consider the job if my peers deemed me to be a tructworthy, fair and just person.

I don't want the job if there are people out there that doubt my ability to perform the duties in an unbiasd manner.

I hope I have showed that I can 'butt out' of other peoples business... yes I have inquired with people about what might be going on, but only because I wanted to get the story from the horses mouth instead of someone that "heard it from X, who heard it from Y, that saw a forum post from Z"

I hope that helps =)
Zach from Mildura, Victoria, Australia
Char's are JihadJack, CapitanAwesome, MadamAwesome, Astra
Visit my personal rant page @ http://www.one24chaffey.com
Katze
Knight
Knight

Post by Katze »

Tanks for your many votes!

The majority voted "Yes."

However, there are 15 "No." votes, but not enough reasonable explanations why people voted no.

We'll keep you up to date.
Meow! (Katze is also known as Plush & Kater)
Hades
Peon
Peon

Post by Hades »

"I don't know him that well."

Tried to ask help at him..but he'd just walk away.....
Tellerium
Peon
Peon

Post by Tellerium »

Hades wrote:"I don't know him that well."

Tried to ask help at him..but he'd just walk away.....

When was this? I'm sorry, I'm normally quite happy to help, so long as it doesn't involve me doing the work for you =)
Zach from Mildura, Victoria, Australia
Char's are JihadJack, CapitanAwesome, MadamAwesome, Astra
Visit my personal rant page @ http://www.one24chaffey.com
jojje101
Novice
Novice

Post by jojje101 »

no, i want sug she is the most helpful person in the whole game
yo, its me the newbie helper from HMC;)
Black Don
Knight
Knight

Post by Black Don »

when people are voting for GM I wonder what they are thinking a GM does. Is a GM's primary job policing the people breaking the rules like spamers and botters, or is it "helping" people. If you say Helping people define what you mean by "helping" people. Is it awnsering basic questions about the game, dev or quests, heck even I will do that, but if you want some one who will walk you around and show you all the NPCs and help kill monsters so you can get the items, or are looking for free handouts. I would say no, that is not a GM's job. So really what I'm asking is what traits are you looking for in a GM, is it helpfulness or would trust worthiness and honesty be more what you should be focused on.
"Too much of a good thing is an awesome thing, but too much of an awesome thing is, um, really really dumb. And bad." Strong Bad
Katze
Knight
Knight

Post by Katze »

jojje101 wrote:no, i want sug she is the most helpful person in the whole game

But that's actually no reason to give CapitanAwesome a no, since we're in need of more than one additional GM. Besides - and ignoring what I wrote earlier in this thread - sugarcorgit wouldn't accept the job anyway.
Black Don wrote:when people are voting for GM I wonder what they are thinking a GM does. Is a GM's primary job policing the people breaking the rules like spamers and botters, or is it "helping" people. If you say Helping people define what you mean by "helping" people. Is it awnsering basic questions about the game, dev or quests, heck even I will do that, but if you want some one who will walk you around and show you all the NPCs and help kill monsters so you can get the items, or are looking for free handouts. I would say no, that is not a GM's job. So really what I'm asking is what traits are you looking for in a GM, is it helpfulness or would trust worthiness and honesty be more what you should be focused on.
You're right: a GM's job is to enforce the rules and not to walk people around showing them stuff and explaining. So we need to be trustworthy, honest etc.
However, we shouldn't ignore such questions but tell people who might help or in some cases even help like every nice person might do it. Being exceedingly helpful is not a requirement though.
Jumpy
Knight
Knight

Post by Jumpy »

hey CaptainAwsome would you give me your pirate hat ! PLEAZE !

oups got already 3 :)

Joke :)

Gm's role is to have the rules respected and help people stucked in games or so on issues related to technical and serious matters.
Gm's behavior is how they are and i saw several (well all GMs) helped player in quest and so on transmitting good values of fighting and behaving to my point of view of course
so once again my vote stays yes to JJ

Regards
DBMP - BMS - HFDI
Don't Bring Me Problems - Bring Me Solution
and Have Fun Doing It : P

lvl 99 89 56 51 47 42 7
melkior
Warrior
Warrior

Post by melkior »

I was one of those quiet people that voted no. I had no intentions of explaining my 'no' vote since I haven't really seen people explaining their 'yes' votes. 'I think he'd make a good GM' and 'I like him' aren't explanations. So please, Katze, if you're requesting nay-voters to explain themselves, request the same for those who voted for him. A quick glance through the thread will reveal that the same number of people on both sides tried to offer something even remotely resembling a reason for voting.

I was in two minds about voting here. On one hand, I sort of like Cappy. On the other, I don't like the way you came up with this poll (I'm referring to the "Is there anyone from Australia here?" announcement). This game needs more GMs in all timezones. Add them whenever you feel you can trust someone with the job, and not in some nonsensical geographical order. Many different time-zones are active during the Australian day. Two GMs from different timezones covering the same time frame would be a better choice, IMO.

What finally made me vote 'no' is this:
Tellerium wrote:Katze, that might be true, but having a GM that isn't around much is better then not having one at all =)
I beg to differ. Zach, like I said, nothing against you, but this kind of philosophy won't get this game anywhere. You aren't regularly online, and when you are online, you spend most of the time AFK. We don't need another GM that ignores reports. It's frustrating and not helpful at all.

And while I'm on that topic, your constant presence online, ever since this poll was posted, was a bit of a farce if you ask me. You were AFK almost all of that time, too, so it was nothing more than a 'vote for me' campaign. Something that doesn't seem appropriate in this situation. Again, that's my opinion, not any kind of law.

Now, your in-game conduct is positive overall, but I have seen you act and react in a manner not fitting for a GM, more than once. But as I said, positive overall.

Yes, I like you. I like talking with you, but I don't think you'd make a good GM, I'm sorry. And you're right, your posts made it look like you're begging for the job.

Furthermore, I don't think this poll should influence anything due to the way it was drafted and created.

This isn't a popularity contest. And yet it feels like one.

I'm sorry, I had no plans of posting this rant as I didn't think it would help anything, but I was asked to do so. *shrugs* There you go.
Dyna
Novice
Novice

Post by Dyna »

Cotillion wrote:
Katze wrote:We don't need new people who're online at GMT midnight, but we need people who're online in the (early) GMT morning. 8)
That would be sugarcorgit. I think the logic of location needs to be part of the consideration, not the determining factor.
I couldn't agree more with Cotillion. Location should not be the determining factor of making a new GM. We don't need more random GMs from timezones...we need to find someone who is willing to commit some time to the game...

Cappy I like you, you know that...so dont take any of this personally...as this isn't aimed at you as a person...

Honestly, if you want to know my vote...I voted no. I voted no for the same reason Melkior did, that comment didn't sit right with me. We don't need more GMs who are going to be AFK or not in game. You have to understand that I am a heavy player here, I have the time to spend at the computer (since i am there for my work anyway) and spend most of my time chatting with the people I meet. I hardly ever see CapitanAwesome online anymore, and it seems like his latest actions of being AFK in game are a show and these posts here sound like a politician trying to talk himself up.

This whole poll seemed to be a pointless popularity contest and time consuming. If you really wanted to hear the votes it would have been a simple Yes or No vote. Those who voted the other three choices...those votes were wasted.

Sorry for the tirade...I am just frustrated with things right now...

Dy
Wishing things were different...hoping for better now.
bigglesworth
Novice
Novice

Post by bigglesworth »

We need GMs that enforce the rules, not "lawful good" crusaders.
Katze
Knight
Knight

Post by Katze »

I was in two minds about voting here. On one hand, I sort of like Cappy. On the other, I don't like the way you came up with this poll (I'm referring to the "Is there anyone from Australia here?" announcement). This game needs more GMs in all timezones. Add them whenever you feel you can trust someone with the job, and not in some nonsensical geographical order. Many different time-zones are active during the Australian day. Two GMs from different timezones covering the same time frame would be a better choice, IMO.
I had been waiting to talk CapitanAwesome for quite a long time before I did that announcement. He was the only person I thought might be a good GM in that region, though I didn't/don't know him that well.
And some days in a row I asked Bjørn to check for me when CapitanAwesome had last been online. it was always the morning of the respective day. So I had all reason to believe he is online every day and that at hours when no other GM might be online. But I wanted to be sure he wasn't the only one who might be suitable for that job. That's why I made the announcement. And actually, my question, if there were any people from "Australia or similar time zones" around, didn't bring any satisfying results.

I didn't ask why people voted "Yes." because it seems quite clear to me why someone votes yes.
But "No."s might have more important reasons, so I wanted to hear those.

If you know anybody from some time zone in Asia or Australia who speaks English sufficiently, who is really trustable and honest, I would be glad to hear who that person/s is/are!

As nobody seems ready to ask the "BAD QUESTION" I will just write this one :
I think we need a GM belonging to Brazilian community to provide a fair balance toward this group of players ![/quote]

sure, I agree. If anyone can tell me who might be good for that job. ...Same criteria as above.

Mel and Dyna:
Please don't always get frustrated with the GMing situation, but tell us who you think might be good additional GMs!
Dyna
Novice
Novice

Post by Dyna »

Katze wrote: Mel and Dyna:
Please don't always get frustrated with the GMing situation, but tell us who you think might be good additional GMs!
Kat...all the people I know who would make good GMs are in...guess where? USA or Europe...since you have those covered, pretty much useless to suggest them. Now what?

I think it is pretty insane and bad for the game to place someone in the role of being a GM based on their location...again Cappy, this has nothing to do with you or who you are...

Dy
Wishing things were different...hoping for better now.
Katze
Knight
Knight

Post by Katze »

But we need to cover those hours in which none of the existing GMs can possibly be online. Only people from those regions can do that.