Port Forwarding [Solved] But New Problem

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

NewBee
Peon
Peon

Port Forwarding [Solved] But New Problem

Post by NewBee »

Can someone help me on how to Port Forward in general? I've tried to set up other gaming servers before, not eA yet, with no luck because I don't know how to Port Forward. Seems like a dumb question, but i'm no good at this stuff. Been to Portforward.com or something like that.. they have instructions, but don't really get it.

So basically I have a different mmorpg server set up. I do plan on trying to set up an eA/TMW server, but if I don't understand port forwarding at all, i'm not going to get anywhere.

So I have this other server setup and in the client when I put in 127.0.0.1 I can connect on my own. The problem is no one else can when I give them my IP. I've been told that I need to have a static IP (currently have a dynamic one) and then I need to port forward certain ports. 8070-8090.

First trying it, I had a modem for my internet and then a router for a laptop. I tried messing around and now the router is messed up. So now it's just the Modem directly to the computer, which might make things a little easier?

Any help?
Last edited by NewBee on 27 Apr 2009, 02:43, edited 1 time in total.
Tellerium
Peon
Peon

Re: Port Forwarding

Post by Tellerium »

Q1: in your setup, which does the 'login' procedure for your internet connection? Modem or Router?

Q2: what make & model of modem and router do you have?

Normally, the way i like to setup my gear.
My modem gets put into "bridge" mode and the router does the login to the ISP, my router has options in its setup panel to connect to a dynamic dns service (to get a simple.static.url) which gets around not having a static IP, and also has settings for forwarding IP's to addresses in my network.

That should give you some idea how it goes down....

You best bet would be, once you know the make and model of your equipment, to google search for users of similar model gear, they will be able to help you better than I can.

Cheers =)
Zach from Mildura, Victoria, Australia
Char's are JihadJack, CapitanAwesome, MadamAwesome, Astra
Visit my personal rant page @ http://www.one24chaffey.com
NewBee
Peon
Peon

Post by NewBee »

Well now i'm sure it's the Modem because like I said I took off the router for now. So i'm only using internet connection on one computer with the modem directly connected to the comp.

Modem is a SpeedStream 5100.

Is the "setup panel" when you use your internet browser to go to 192.168.0.1 or w/e and change some things?

I'll try to search for it on google and find some tech forums then. My Modem is on the list on PortForward.com, but I really don't get what they are saying.

Thanks for the help. I'll look around, but if anyone else has some info on this and can help out, please do. :lol:
NewBee
Peon
Peon

Post by NewBee »

Okay so I got Port Forwarding done. Thank you very much.

New problem now lol. I have a dynamic IP so after a while it changes so I have to give people a new IP which gets annoying. Does anyone know a way to make there Dynamic IP be a Static IP?
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

NewBee wrote:Okay so I got Port Forwarding done. Thank you very much.

New problem now lol. I have a dynamic IP so after a while it changes so I have to give people a new IP which gets annoying. Does anyone know a way to make there Dynamic IP be a Static IP?
Not really. There are services which will give you a DNS entry that they update as your IP changes.
Kurachi
Peon
Peon

Post by Kurachi »

NewBee wrote:Okay so I got Port Forwarding done. Thank you very much.

hi newbee, i have a server too.
im using freedns , you can check it here: http://freedns.afraid.org/
all you have to do is to register, after that.
you can now add Dynamic IP then just enter your ip address and choose your own domain for example. newbeeserver.mooo.com
if your IP address changed go to freedns.afraid.org again and change your ip address there to update your domian.

in that case, your players can easily connect to your server using your domain: newbeeserver.mooo.com
Kurachi wrote: The Mana World PH Overall Status:
Client - 100% Complete
Server - 100% Complete
Site - 100% Complete
NewBee
Peon
Peon

Re: Port Forwarding [Solved] But New Problem

Post by NewBee »

So Kurachi I update with that service instead of me telling new ip I just update it there I guess that's a little better. And jax are you talking about the same thing or you know of one that auto does it because I've heard of those but you also have to download something.
Kurachi
Peon
Peon

Post by Kurachi »

NewBee wrote:So Kurachi I update with that service instead of me telling new ip I just update it there I guess that's a little better. And jax are you talking about the same thing or you know of one that auto does it because I've heard of those but you also have to download something.
yeah, exactly mate.
that's what am i doing everytime my ip chage.

if jax has site that can auto update the domain. that's much better. and i will stick to it..
lets wait for the reply of jax.
Client - 100% Complete
Server - 100% Complete
Site - 100% Complete
NewBee
Peon
Peon

Post by NewBee »

Okay and its like the thing you use kurachi except there's some that can update auto for you if you download this one program they provide not sure if its free though
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

http://www.dyndns.com/ offers a dynamic DNS service and a program which updates your IP automatically.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Kurachi
Peon
Peon

Post by Kurachi »

Crush wrote:http://www.dyndns.com/ offers a dynamic DNS service and a program which updates your IP automatically.
what if i have account in dyndns and i setup domain already..
when i turn off my computer, then turn it on again, is my domain in dyndns will update my new ip adress?
Client - 100% Complete
Server - 100% Complete
Site - 100% Complete
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

I never used DynDNS myself so I can't help you with the details, but as far as I know you have to install a program which runs in the background on the system you want to link with your DynDNS domain and updates the IP address automatically at regular intervals.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
NewBee
Peon
Peon

Post by NewBee »

Thank You Crush. This is the one I was looking for that had that little program so you don't have to update it yourself. :D